Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 06:30AM

Geez they like to micromanage don't they ... this from an unsigned article.

Never occurs to them that they shouldn't be dictating every details of peoples lives. What happened to the "new" friendly ecumenical face of the church? new people are gonna walk in and notice that they sure have a lot of little rules!

---

Vaping, Coffee, Tea, and Marijuana

Let’s clear up a few items that young people today may be confused about when it comes to the Word of Wisdom.

Mocha, Latte, Macchiato, Etc.

The word coffee isn’t always in the name of coffee drinks. So, before you try what you think is just some new milkshake flavor, here are a couple of rules of thumb: (1) If you’re in a coffee shop (or any other shop that’s well-known for its coffee), the drink you’re ordering probably has coffee in it, so either never buy drinks at coffee shops or always ask if there’s coffee in it. (2) Drinks with names that include café or caffé, mocha, latte, espresso, or anything ending in -ccino are coffee and are against the Word of Wisdom.

Green Tea, Iced Tea

Green tea and black tea are both made from the leaves of the exact same tea plant. The only difference is that the leaves in black tea are fermented and in green tea they’re not. They’re both tea and against the Word of Wisdom. Some drinks have tea in them but don’t advertise that fact, so always check the ingredients. Also, iced tea is still tea.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/new-era/2019/08/vaping-coffee-tea-and-marijuana?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 06:50AM

But it’s not a cult.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 08:19AM

Iced tea is still tea-and somehow still a “hot” drink.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: August 24, 2019 07:38AM

that makes sense.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: August 24, 2019 07:45AM

But hot chocolate is all right, even though it's hot and contains caffeine...

that makes sense.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 08:24AM

Then there are the herbal teas. Is chamomile tea out as well?

Younger people are using the word "tea" as slang for "gossip," i.e. "spill the tea" (tell me/us what's going on.) I wonder if Mormon teens are avoiding that phrase.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 08:26AM

The caramel Macchiato I purchase at Walmart in the milk area and is cold has caffeine. My diet coke has caffeine, but just 2 or so years ago, they said my diet coke is okay, that they supposedly never said it wasn't, we were all just confused.

Where is the logic in their thinking? Well, we know there is no logic in mormonism.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 11:19AM

I think they keep it for one reason: it’s the ultimate test of whether you are starting down the slippery slope of doing your own thinking. Of whether or not you think some disgusting 95-year-old geezer is to be blindly obeyed no matter how ridiculous the words he vomits. If you can think enough to go, “wait a minute, God probably doesn’t care if the words on my cold liquid caffeine can say Coke or Lipton” you might be in danger of thinking “a rock? In a hat? I don’t think so.”

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 10:16AM

Keeping people confused is a sign of a cult.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 10:20AM

----> "Let’s clear up a few items that young people today may be confused about when it comes to the Word of Wisdom."

They may be confused because the "Word of Wisdom" (how's that for a misleading label) makes NO MENTION OF EITHER COFFEE OR TEA.

The prohibition against coffee and tea actually has less going for it as official doctrine than Brigham Young's teaching that Adam is our god and is the only god we are to worship and pray to.

---> "The only difference is that the leaves in black tea are fermented and in green tea they’re not."

Fermentation is only one of many differences in the different processing of black tea versus green tea. Green tea is the least processed version of the various different types of teas that are derived from the tea plant. An unsweetened cup of mild green tea is infinitely healthier to drink than any of the thousands of sugary and artificially sweetened drinks that Mormons guzzle. It is healthier than a cup of milk or cup of fruit juice.

The author of the article makes a grossly inaccurate statement and then fails to even explain how the statement has any relevance to anything, choosing instead to rely on Morgbot readers to infer that it has some significance.

Date: August 22, 2019 11:37AM

May I watch TV episodes featuring Ice-T?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 11:10AM

I AM THE CHOSEN ONE .....to drink this latte !

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 12:25PM

My answer ot this issue
You may not control what I:
eat
drink
wear
watch
listen to
nor with whom I choose to associaate

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 01:01PM

Contrary to popular belief, leaving LDS, Inc. doesn't always mean rampant departures from the WOW. I just decided it wasn't for me to drink alcohol--even though I keep a supply on hand at home for those who like it. Nor do I drink coffee, because I just don't like it. And smoking and drugs kind of fall into that category of well that would be stupid regardless of what the LDS Church says about it for me.

Thanks to this pronouncement, I'm glad to know that my occasional indulgence in tea iced or otherwise still puts me in the category of "serious sinners."

Overall I think the Word of Wisdom is more about obedience than health. A person could eat an unhealthy diet, never exercise, and not get enough sleep and be much more unhealthy than a person who has a morning tea or coffee or enjoys a glass of wine or beer with their evening meal a few times per week. Health is a very context dependent enterprise and the way the Word of Wisdom is practiced in modern Mormonism it could give an unhealthy person a false sense of security because they can pass a worthiness interview.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 01:15PM

But gawd himself promised those who obey will “run and not be weary, walk and not faint”

Date: August 22, 2019 01:44PM

Maybe they were drinking iced tea on Trek.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 01:46PM

in the 70's they sent out a FP / SM letter that said de-caf coffee was OK;

NO, this actually happened !!!

God must be confused!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 03:24PM

It's refreshing that members also refrain from using aspirin and from indulging in dark chocolate. Both have some caffeine in them.

I am just so glad that I no longer have to guess or worry about said nonsense.

I thought some 30 years ago when selling the church that eventually the leaders would wise up a bit and focus on more serious humanitarian issues, but here's the church doubling down on nonsense. And the dumb part is that some of the precious few youth that are hanging onto the church have likely tried an iced coffee drink and liked it!

It's been awhile since church leaders have attacked more serious issues in the church like earrings, patterned tights and the war on yoga pants.

Date: August 23, 2019 08:10PM

Do leaders go into grocery stores? You can buy energy drinks that put ice tea to shame. Young people are going to see right through this nonsense.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 04:10PM

I know so many Mormons who are obese and have type two diabetes. I laughed when my sister told me they had to put bigger seats in the Idaho Falls temple because the members got too fat to fit in the old seats.

The church has gotten fat on overeating and too much sugar. Gee. Having a cup of green tea is going to damn you and keep you from getting the highest degree of glory but a 52 ounce mug of Mt Dew is fine. Sugar is a bigger killer than green tea. How many members our dying early due to poor diets? Plenty. Oh well. At least they can now squeeze their 350 pound fat ass in a temple seat and get the special handshakes and instructions to get to Kolob after they die you g from a massive heart attack.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 06:07AM

This is so true. So many mormons are addicted to sugar. There is a lot of baking that goes on too. I thought the wow was a health code, but my brother and sil consume a huge amount of sugar. And they criticise me for vaping, which is in comparison, mostly harmless. I don’t eat sugar, but I’m the unhealthy one apparently. Well at least I’m enjoying life.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 23, 2019 08:58PM

Is the church really still holding to the WofW reg. tea?

Surely their are far more important things to worry about than tea.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 24, 2019 07:23AM

Since I resigned from the church in around 1993, I eat and drink what I want to eat and drink. If I wanted to, I would smoke. But I value my health too much to smoke. The point is, that the church rules have no meaning in my life now as a non-member.

I lost eighty pounds last year and went from a diabetic A1C level in to the normal A1C range. A lot of that had to do with stopping all sugar drinks. That includes no orange juice nor other natural juices that have even normal levels of sugar in them, and no sweet foods.

So I drink a lot of unsweetened iced tea. I drink a lot of water but probably more iced tea than water. My dentist (no mormon influences in this conversation) asked if I had started drinking coffee and when I said no, he said "iced tea?". So I guess that it can subtly affect the color of your teeth. I figure that's a fair trade-off for not having to deal with obesity and diabetes and everything that comes with it.

If I were an active mormon, the me of a year ago could have gotten a temple recommend when considering the word of wisdom, even though my food choices then were literally causing me a slow and early death then. But now that I drink iced tea and have a thirty-four inch waist size, I wouldn't qualify because of word of wisdom rules. Good thing I wouldn't want a temple recommend anyway. But for current, active members these are some pretty stupid rules to live by. It makes no sense.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 24, 2019 10:36AM

Like I said in that other thread...F the WOW

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.