Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 11:46AM

Dave:

The link does not work.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 12:10PM

I like how she slips up and says:

“First of all, we don’t do gay weddings or mixed race, because of our Christian race — I mean, our Christian belief,” the woman tells Welch in the video."

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 12:44PM

It sounds more diplomatic than “We don’t serve their kind here”.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 12:12PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 12:25PM

”I think it's a cryin’ shame when our bigoted and ign’rt fellow Amerc’ns cain’t practice their bigotry and ign’rnce without they're being some over edumacated smarty-pants high school graduate descrim’nating against’em!!”

--Mrs. Jimmy Lee Bob Brown, nee Lily Mae Bethany Brown

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 03:22PM

The interesting thing about this thread is NOT who responds... but who doesn't.

HH =)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 05:18PM

The church at one time said to marry

1. In your religion
2. In your race
3. In your social station

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 05:54PM

If any man takes a wife and goes in to her and then hates her and accuses her of misconduct and brings a bad name upon her, saying, ‘I took this woman, and when I came near her, I did not find in her evidence of virginity,’ then the father of the young woman and her mother shall take and bring out the evidence of her virginity to the elders of the city in the gate.
And the father of the young woman shall say to the elders, ‘I gave my daughter to this man to marry, and he hates her; and behold, he has accused her of misconduct, saying, “I did not find in your daughter evidence of virginity.”
And yet this is the evidence of my daughter’s virginity.’ And they shall spread the cloak before the elders of the city. Then the elders of that city shall take the man and whip him, and they shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver and give them to the father of the young woman, because he has brought a bad name upon a virgin of Israel.
And she shall be his wife. He may not divorce her all his days. But if the thing is true, that evidence of virginity was not found in the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done an outrageous thing in Israel by whoring in her father’s house. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 06:34PM

When I was in High School a mixed race couple moved in down the street... This was in the south in a very conservative area and it was very much frowned upon, but I didn't really know that at the time.

I'll never forget riding with my Dad to the grocery store or something and him telling me, with all certainty, that people would be happier if they married within their race. Later when I thought back on that conversation, I realized that my Dad is racist, he just thought it was OK to be so because his religion said it was OK.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 07:00PM

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 12:21AM

We had a mixed race couple in our ward; they had four kids and he was on the bishopric at the time I was baptised. I never saw that again the whole time I was a member. They went inactive for quite a while because someone had offended them, but I dont know what it was about. But they were TBMs.

Anyway, he told me that lds.inc taught that it was better to marry within your race, in order to avoid racism.

That always struck me as very ironic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.