Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 10:19AM

WARNING!! ADULT THEMES USE PROTECTION WHILE READING!

Apparently the law in Utah mandates that sex education must teach that abstinence is the way to practice for marriage.

But abstentionists have discovered that Utah teachers are allowed to respond to 'spontaneous' questions from students, and these abstentionists are upset that this loophole exists!

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2019/09/05/conservative-groups-storm/

"You shouldn't have sex unless you're married to someone of the opposite sex and all the lights are out and and the MoTab is playing on the gramophone!" said Karen Klimax, whose existence defies even my imagination.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 10:59AM

Abstinence makes many things grow fonder. Did someone say Forbidden Fruit?

Suppression is reinforcement. Oldest tenet of psychology ever sez I.

Every time I go on a diet I get so damn hungry I eat twice as much and the reward is that it tastes twice as good!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 11:06AM

Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 11:16AM

Zing!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 11:22AM

It is all about intent. Does age-related abstinence, sexual orientation related abstinence, physical disability abstinence make the heart grow fonder?

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 11:31AM

The teacher should tell the students to ask their parents!
Get real folks.
If the parents would answer the questions truthfully for their child they wouldn't have to ask the teachers.
These kids know their parents will tell them some fluffy answer that really won't answer their question.
I agree abstinence is the best way to prevent pregnancy and STDs but I also know that kids don't care about that in the heat of the moment.
They need to be taught about safe sex and taught about STDs and just what can and will happen if they contract one.
I taught my children this and even took them to the doctor to start them both on the pill. I knew better than to stick my head in the sand and wish for the world to pass by my kids.
Utah's statistics for STDs is proof that more needs to be done not less.

Date: September 06, 2019 12:09PM

> If the parents would answer
> the questions truthfully ...

This may come off as unnecessarily esoteric, but if the parents would/could answer ALL their kids' questions truthfully, we wouldn't need schools at all. For anything.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 11:49AM

and learned a lot of it while dealing with the bishop and my "husband" trying to see if he could be turned on by a woman, I find it criminal that the kids can't ask questions as they aren't getting the education at home. My kids did get the education and we had no surprise babies considering my son was sexually active in high school. He married the girl at age 20 and she left him 9 months later. You know who would be raising the child if she had one?????

When the bishop asked me at 12 if I masturbated and necked and petted, I hadn't a clue what any of them meant. My last roommate was getting married about the same time as I got married. She was 29. She was worried that she had been necking and petting because she felt something when kissing her fiance. I told her I was SURE she was fine.

Sure, abstinence makes the heart grow fonder. It took 27 years for me to have sex with the guy I wanted to have sex with. He told me recently that I just wasn't ready for him when I was 20. I definitely wasn't.

If they don't hear it from the teacher, they'll hear it from their friends and a lot of it will be misinformation (like it will be from many of their parents).

My sister's kids all had babies at 19. Two of her kids are boys. I have her oldest boy living in a trailer on my property right now. He married the 16-year-old he got pregnant and he was 19. Imagine what could have happened. They have 4 kids. She was cheating their entire marriage. It has been a MESS.

My niece got married to another guy and he adopted her baby, but the daughter and her husband have never gotten along. Her daughter moved out the minute she could and lives with her boyfriend (and hasn't got pregnant and they've been together for 6 years). My other nephew got his 15-year-old girlfriend pregnant and she supposedly didn't know. I know her and I'm sure she didn't know she was pregnant. They found out when the baby was born. This nephew was also 19. Thankfully neither of my nephews are in prison. At least this last nephew has a good marriage, although the mother wanted nothing to do with the baby for about a year and my nephew took care of him. My niece tended him during the day. No pregnancies with their children.

One more. My youngest brother got a girl pregnant at 16, but she was having sex with several others. She never would show up for blood testing (demanded by welfare). Finally he found out when the boy was 9 that he was the father, but she wouldn't let him see his son. So he asked me to look for his son last year. We found out he was killed in an auto accident 6 years ago and left a son. My brother isn't allowed to see his grandson. His son looks just like his dad and our father.

Mormons don't teach their kids about sex. I can't imagine asking my parents about sex!!! Oh my. I didn't even dare tell them I was pregnant. I had my sister tell them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 11:56AM by cl2.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 12:15PM

>> The demonstration was organized by the Utah Eagle Forum and Pro-Life Utah.

Pro-life + Utah = Abstinence. OK, I think I get that, but I'm not sure how abstaining can bring forth any life to be pro about.

>> Gayle Ruzicka, president of the Utah Eagle Forum, said they decided to speak out after she discovered a teacher’s guide on the Utah Board of Education website that is meant to help educators navigate how to answer questions about sex.

So is that like the handbook that is meant to help bishops navigate interviews with minors about explicit sex?

Maybe they would feel better if the bishop was teaching the sex ed class.

Date: September 06, 2019 01:02PM

Gail can't trust teachers like she can bishops. At least that's how she probably sees it. Teachers aren't vetted by Holy McGhost.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 01:06PM

>> Teachers aren't vetted by Holy McGhost.

That's because the Holy McGhost doesn't provide a pension or any support to the union.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 03:37PM

Abstinence only Sex Ed makes the kids grow pregnant and diseased, because they are not prepared when the urge hits them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.