Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 09:32PM

https://twitter.com/NelsonRussellM/status/1172267405025972234

Not surprising because this is how the church operates to make Nelson look like he's a super profit. He makes announcements a couple of weeks prior to GC. It creates a mormon buzz with the hope that members will feel warm and fuzzy to tune in for the same "pay, pray and obey" talks.

What's really strange is that he's asking the youth to join him online on 9/17 (Tuesday) at 11:05 am- Utah time

Are students off from public school that day?

I would be annoyed if I [as a teacher] had students getting on their phones during class because super-profit was going to utter nonsense.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2019 09:44PM by messygoop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 10:03PM

This message is just for his young "friends." He ain't my friend, so I guess I don't have to tune in. :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 10:15PM

Wowsers! There are some real slaps-up-side the prophetic face in a few of the responses!

Apparently his message will be delivered during next Tuesday's devotional at BYU.

Nothing like playing to the home crowd.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 11:10AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing like playing to the home crowd.

It's now called ministering. I don't think it had a name before. But tithing pays for world tours and a retinue of GAs traveling all over the world for nothing more than playing to their home crowd.

Beating missionaries with guilt bully pulpits is their favorite kind of music.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 10:17PM

The church loves to give the impression it’s an international church. That’s a bad time for kids who live in the inter mountain west where most the active church is located. It’s more convenient for kids in other parts of the world.

Of course it could be the prophet forgot to realize that’s a school day.

Date: September 12, 2019 10:36PM

It's been scheduled for a while, and the tweet was just ordinary huckster hype.

"Every Tuesday at 11:05 a.m., students, faculty and staff head to the Marriott Center for the weekly Devotional or Forum address. BYU President Kevin J Worthen and his wife Peggy kick off the semester and are followed by members of the leadership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU employees and a range of industry leaders and thinkers. Entertainment assemblies celebrating the talent of BYU Arts round out the semester schedule.

Devotional and Forums are open to the public and most are broadcast and streamed live on BYUtv, Classical 89 FM and BYUradio, and will be archived on speeches.byu.edu.

Fall 2019 Devotional and Forum Schedule

September

September 10: President and Sister Worthen (Devotional)
September 17: President Russell M. Nelson, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"
   https://news.byu.edu/announcements/devotional-and-forum-schedule-for-fall-semester-2019

There's no shill like being your own shill... He really is coming across as being real Presidential Timber.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 02:08PM

This^^^^

At BYU every Tues at this time, there is either a devotional or a forum.

Nothing new here, afa BYU and its broadcast.

Only non-Mormons make this this odd.

Think the Pope with his every wednesday audience, or the angelus on Sunday

Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 09:52PM

angela Wrote:

> At BYU every Tues at this time, there is either a
> devotional or a forum.

I Think the Pope trots out quite a similar thing in Rome, high above Saint Peter's Square of a Wednesday.

So, way to the West, in Provo, a Mormon Pontiff or some pontificating underling ascends a platform and mimics the Vatican performance.

He'll likely say nothing to edify the cultivated, callow yoof of Mormondumb.

Date: September 13, 2019 10:15PM

I was at the Y from mid-Fall, 1967 to the end of Summer, 1970 and never attended a devotional. That's devotion, right?

Date: September 16, 2019 04:32AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I was at the Y from mid-Fall, 1967 to the end of
> Summer, 1970 and never attended a devotional.
> That's devotion, right?

I never went to a devotional either when I was at the “Y”

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 06:52AM

Does BYU not schedule classes during devotional time? I can't imagine an entire, busy campus coming to a dead halt just so that some higher-up can blather on to students.

Date: September 16, 2019 08:59AM

That's my recollection!

You're expected to pay for and attend a religion class every semester and attend every Tuesday devotional.

Ya wanna be good mormon, doncha?

Date: September 16, 2019 01:49PM

Ha! Most the people I knew at BYU were not good Mormons. I didn’t know anyone reading their scriptures other than for a religious class or to prepare a church lesson. Nobody I knew was going to the devotionals.

A weekend in Vegas seemed to take priority over going to church on Sunday.

In short. The students pretty much did what they wanted. The honor code was a joke and most of us just wanted to get through school as fast as we could and get a job. Also plenty of girls were on the pill at BYU. No problem getting laid there.

I just learned many in the church put on the dog and pony show to keep family happy. It’s what the church really is. A show.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 01:31PM

summer Wrote:
> Does BYU not schedule classes during devotional
> time? I can't imagine an entire, busy campus
> coming to a dead halt just so that some higher-up
> can blather on to students.

No classes during that hour when I was there in the 80's

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 02:09AM

HYPE

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 10:07AM

I bet Nelson will say "you are the chosen generation".

Date: September 13, 2019 02:46PM

Why does that sound familiar...?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 10:15PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Why does that sound familiar...?

1992 I felt so special.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/1992/04/a-chosen-generation?lang=eng

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 08:57AM

"I regard you as the finest generation in the history of the Church. I compliment you, and I have in my heart a great feeling of love and respect and appreciation for you."

So Hinckley's compliments and "choosing" of these young people better than Nelson's? What about all the TBM's (like the kids' parents)? They don't deserve this praise?

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 08:59AM

And then this:

"Some time ago I read a letter to a newspaper editor which was highly critical of the Church. I have forgotten the exact language, but it included a question something like this: “When are the Mormons going to stop being different and become a part of the mainstream of America?”"

He used bad words.....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 10:14AM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 11:20AM

Who doesn’t want to hear a special message from someone 5 or 6 times their age?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 10:36AM

Special. One of the most over hyped and devalued words in Mormonism.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 08:11PM

With the obvious exception of especial. I listened to a local leader give a talk during which he made the point that especial was more, dare I say it, special than just regular old special.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 02:25PM

There is something about Nelson using the word love that makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 03:22PM

physicians unless they're truly spectacular, have a limited audience / list of people who appreciate them;

but as 'Prophet', Russ has a world-wide audience, which he appears to be liking appearing to. It appears his wife is of the same ilk.

this contrasts with a humble leader who takes attention to the tasks at hand over personal aggrandizement.

Date: September 13, 2019 04:45PM

> this contrasts with a
> humble leader who takes
> attention to the tasks
> at hand over personal
> aggrandizement.

What has he, personally, actually done? What has he had to labor to accomplish?

It strikes me as being fair to say that he may have authorized some sort of broad strokes endeavors, which were outlined to subordinates to whom the duty was given to carry out.

Rusty climbs aboard the plane, has some finger foods and Pelligrino sparkling water, gets off the plane and waves to this and that crowd, grimaces at the camera and the assembled butts--in-seats, has some more finger food and then gets back onto the plane.

Since he's not propounding new revelations, what more is there to say at these stops but, "I'm a prophet, do what the prophets tell you, keep the commandments and go to the temple."

Being a prophet is a great gig and the only danger that I can see is making prophecies. Avoid that and who can bitch at you?

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 02:33AM

Geez! Show a little respect!

It's not like we're talking about some small start-up cult.

He's the top guy in a really big cult. He doesn't have to fly commercial...and neither does his his main squeeze or her main squeeze.

Let's never forget to show respect where respect is due.

Posted by: exminioin ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 05:05PM

Without all the hype, the mutually-anointed pretend "power", and the self-aggrandizement, Nelson and the Geezers would be less-than-ordinary businessmen, doctors, lawyers, etc. There's nothing special about them, at all. Even minor politicians require people's votes, and have far better speech writers.

Nelson would love it, if Utah teachers interrupted their classes for his "special" message. He, like most Mormons, does work hard to seek out adulation and attention!

Too bad he has nothing relevant to say.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 05:14PM

Gosh. Maybe the special message will tackle one of the really big issues the youth are facing. Maybe even try to top the 'one earring' revelation. Perhaps a warning against tattoos & beards with some 'pray, pay & obey' thrown in for good measure.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 07:24PM

Brand new advice for dealing with the social problems of 1959.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 02:46AM

Even the stuff about tattoos, piercings, white shirts and other such trivial nonsense comes under the "obey" part of the formula.

It would be really amazing if they would actually provide detailed information about the afterlife. (Notice, I said "detailed".) Or maybe expand on the nature of the pre-existence and further explain how this brief nano-second of earthly experience really fits in the overall scheme of things. Maybe an explanation of what need resurrected physical bodies will have for teeth and digestive systems would be interesting to hear.

I bet the youth would love to hear more about such things, if only to determine whether what the "prophet" has to say makes any sense or whether it sounds like pure BS.

But, back to the real world, it's painfully obvious that these "prophets, seers and revelators" don't know anything more than anyone else. They can choose to research what past "prophets" said, which is usually a big problem because past prophets like Joseph Smith said a bunch of crap that is completely out of step with what the church leaders want the church to be today. The problem is that the modern guys know that they have nothing to add in terms of real knowledge. So they just move the furniture around and pretend that the rearranging of the furniture is something new and important.

Date: September 13, 2019 05:22PM

be sure to drink your ovaltine

Date: September 16, 2019 01:59PM

Ha! Ha!

The CTR ring will be replaced with the Russell M Nelson “Especially For Youth” decoder ring. After spending years of doing what you are told and paying tithing for more clues the answer will be “continue to pay, pray and obey!”

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 05:50PM

What a crock!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 08:52PM

Keep paying my salary (oops- I mean your tithing).

Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 11:09PM

Nelson sucks!

Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 01:22PM

Some religions like to predict the end of the world. I think the chosen generation mantra is exactly the same thing. The chosen generation thing means that the special generation will usher in the millennium. I think its the Mormon way of prediction the end of the world without actually being caught when your wrong. I was a part of a chosen generation and now I'm as old as dirt, but that doesn't stop them from replaying that same old meme.

Date: September 16, 2019 01:55PM

They have been telling the kids they are the chosen generation since Joseph Smith first cooked up all this bullshit.

Date: September 16, 2019 03:50PM

I haven't read his official biography, but the articles haven't shied away from the fact that Rusty didn't have a typical church youth. He wasn't a scout, wasn't active in the church or even primary. He doesn't really have sentimental or a particular fondness for nostalgia. It seems to me that he was quite a loner type that didn't care for friends or people. Sure he works well within the church because his "title" commands respect; just like his title as surgeon or hospital administrator.

If I recall correctly, he grew up on a farm with inactive parents. He probably had a cold relationship with them and his siblings; like don't say anything at the table while eating supper. I get the strong impression that he didn't do well with his peers. He got passed over when playing sports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2019 03:51PM by messygoop.

Date: September 17, 2019 03:32PM

So the profit addresses the YBU students only to reaffirm their opposition to gay marriage. He said it was love that caused the policy change. I think it was losing members that changed their stubborn minds.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/09/17/love-was-behind-churchs/

I found it interesting that the last time the church co prez addressed the students was in 2011 (Monson). Guess Rusty has been too busy to swing by since he took over in Jan 2018.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 05:28PM

messygoop Wrote:
> Guess Rusty has been too busy to swing
> by since he took over in Jan 2018.

World tours wear a body out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.