Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 07:10PM

***Mormon Crickets***

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 08:22PM

Not paying tithing allowed my wife and I to pay off our mortgage several years ahead of schedule, and allowed me to retire earlier than I had planned.

Of course, I did forfeit a bunch of blessings now that the windows of heaven are closed for me. ;)

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 08:33PM

The chance to dress up in silly costumes and practice masonic handshakes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 10:08PM

Nary a word of thanks.

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 10:41PM

Actually, most TBMs would say, fire insurance. In other words, it doesn't matter that your hard earned cash disappears into the ether of the Church coffers, because you are literally buying your way to the Celestial Kingdom.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 12:01AM

Among other privileges, you can spend Saturdays cleaning toilets and vacuuming the chapel. On Sunday you can listen to someone read a conference talk and then sit in a class giving standard answers to standard questions.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 01:14AM

You don't get church-approved underwear. You have to pay for that separately.

You don't get temple clothes and paraphernalia. You have to buy that or rent it.

If you volunteer to serve for 2 or more years on a "mission" or "ministry" for the church, not only do you not get paid for your labor, but you have to pay all of your own living expenses and most if not all of your own transportation expenses.

Food? No.

Medical services? No.

Housing? No.

Janitorial services for your local meeting place? No.

What do you get for 10% of your gross annual income for life?

Median household income in the U.S. for 2019: $61,372.

Taking that as a convenient point of reference, an average Mormon family may be paying around $6,000 per year just in tithing. (Many will be paying more.)

For that, you can spend from 2 to 5 hours per week (depending on your "callings") in an okay building. Not exclusively. You have to be there with several other people, and you can't do whatever you want in the building. You have to mostly be seated uncomfortably. About 20 minutes of that time will be spent listening to a bunch of people attempting to sing really horrible songs called "hymns" and never called "hyers" because "hyers" are to be seen and not heard.

If you pay separately for a church magazine subscription, you can read what some old guys in Salt Lake City said in one of their conferences. Your tithing probably also helped pay the salary of the staff member who wrote stuff for those guys to say in their conferences.

You can hear about the President flying around the world with his wife and her girlfriend on a private jet and take great pride in knowing that part of your $6,000 annual donation helped pay for that. It can be fun to live vicariously through these celebrity leaders.

You can hear about some new temple being built somewhere where you'll never go and you can then feel good knowing that it will be that much more convenient for some people in that area to go dress up in goofy costumes and chant in unison, along with doing strange handshakes.

"Hey, part of my $6,000 dollars helped pay for this amazing thing!"

Sure, they could dress up in goofy costumes and do the handshakes in their own basements or in a city park after midnight. But it's nicer knowing that they can do it in a sparkly white building that has a gold trumpet player hood ornament on top of a spire on the roof.

So, in conclusion, there is very little that you get tangibly.

But if you believe and have faith, it can make you feel very good inside.

Somewhere in Salt Lake City, a relative of a general authority is able to buy a nice vacation home for his family because of that sweet contract with the Church that was made possible in part by your generous tithing donations. You gotta feel good about that.

Somewhere in the world, a peasant is having gold fillings and caps ripped off his teeth and out of his mouth so that he can donate the gold to the church, knowing that some of your tithing money will be used as matching funds to make it possible to build a new handshake-and-goofy-costume facility near where the peasant lives. The satisfaction that peasant will derive from the handshakes and goofy costumes will be more than enough to compensate for his deteriorating dental health. You'll be blessed for helping to make that possible. You gotta feel good about that!

So many blessings! At only 10% of your gross annual income, it's a bargain many times over!

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 01:19AM

A moderate amount you can claim as ' charitable giving', thereby granting you an even more moderate tax deduction.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 01:44AM

Date: September 17, 2019 01:47AM

I got unconditional love from my family of origin. That is until I stopped paying.

After putting some thought into it, I decided i'd rather have a new Mercedes than a bunch of useless signs and tokens and some really very conditional love.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 07:22AM

Good decision.

On another note, are you the same Mia who used to post here a bout five years ago? If so, it's very nice to see you back :-)

If not, welcome!

Tom in Paris

Date: September 17, 2019 11:35PM

Yep, its me :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 08:25AM

Lovely to see you here, I always liked your posts :-)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 11:02AM

A lot of grief.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 11:07AM

After you shovel snow on sidewalks

Date: September 17, 2019 12:02PM

You get a free worthiness assessment test.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 11:23PM

Hell, you get better than that on Sesame Street - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im4GwUD1UY8

"A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter"

Date: September 18, 2019 11:02AM

Love that.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 09:48AM

The Shaft?

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 03:50PM

In exchange for 10% tithing on my gross income I received justification for responsible financial management in my home.

My wife wanted a life "guided by the Spirit." Strangely, the Spirit never said, "You don't need X - at least until we have saved for it." No, the Spirit always said, "Sister Idleswell, you MUST buy that NOW."

Soon we were at an impasse. Our bills were greater than our remaining funds. My wife asks me, "Did you pay tithing?" Of course I had paid tithing - we would have to cut back elsewhere. My wife's response was, "Thank God, we don't have anything to worry about if we pay tithing."

I learned my lesson. At the next budgetary crisis, I said that we weren't paying tithing until we had sufficient money to write the cheque. My wife took immediate action reducing all expenditures until tithing could be paid.

We drew a family budget with 3 levels of expenses:
1. groceries, home, utilities, car, insurance and investments
2. tithing
3. recreation, vacation, entertainment.

We would pay tithing after all essentials in category 1 were paid. After tithing could be paid, we would have a family meeting over how to allocate the rest.

I could only budget like this because I didn't care if we paid tithing or not. The full responsibility would be my wife's: if she could to live within our family resources to include tithing, then we could pay tithing. Otherwise, Nyet.

Once my wife gave our son an amount greater than our monthly tithing payment to buy drugs (not medicine). She was afraid that our son would steal from other members if she didn't give him money. I said we had to skip tithing that month. I was completely open with the bishop at tithing settlement: No tithing a few months back. I didn't care if my wife died of embarrassment.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 04:19PM

90% of the insanity in your life.

Date: September 18, 2019 05:10PM

Love it!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 05:51PM

What DO you get, or what CAN you get? What I get is the ability to help those individuals and organizations I consider deserving of my generosity instead of having LDS, Inc. make those decisions for me.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 11:37PM

I got a boat. Well, it wasn't 10% of my income. It was more like 30% of my income. but the 10% surely helped because it was a big damn boat.

Date: September 19, 2019 07:53PM

Boats aren't usually cheap. However, they can save you a ton of money on therapy. They can bring your family together for a day in a way nothing else does.

If you put your boat in the right place, like Puget Sound, you can see killer whales, seals, dolphins, and various other things you wouldn't see anywhere else. I love having a boat.

Posted by: Give not Get ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 07:37PM

GET?

I (you) GET NOTHING out of Mormonism (of course I put nothing into it either).

10% just allows (makes) you (be able) (HAVE TO) to GIVE MORE: Time, Tears, Tokens, etc., etc., etc

GUILT GUILT GUILT
Lies Lies Lies Lies Lies
PROMISES PROMISES

NOTHING

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.