Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 08:17PM

They can take away my fried chicken when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 03:18AM

. . . from your cold dead greasy fingers.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 01:38AM

It's various groups of people working in offices who claim that they have the right to command you to do stuff and, if you disobey, they have the right to kill you or put you into a cage.

So, just keep that in mind whenever someone asks you, "should the government have the right to control [fill in the blank]."

It's also important to remember that "government" rule enforcers get their mandates from politicians.

Politicians are those people who somehow manage to increase their wealth by tens of millions of dollars (or equivalent in other currencies) in just a few years, while ostensibly working as "servants of the people" on a government salary.

Politicians are those people who are eager to do favors for large corporate donors who want legislation that favors their business models and disadvantages their competition or disadvantages any thing that competes against or otherwise stands in the way of profitability.

Politicians are those people who sometimes "find" dead interns in their offices and can't explain how the dead intern got there (always a big mystery).

Politicans are those people who have mastered the art of speaking contradictory things out of both sides of their mouth, while simultaneously advocating out of their butt for another position that is inconsistent with the two mutually contradictory positions coming out of their mouth.

So...should politicians have control over your diet? Is ketchup a vegetable?

So SHOULD government have control over what we put into our own bodies?

You decide.

I think I'm big enough to make such decisions for myself.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 07:14AM

Should government be taxing me to support religion ?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 02:01PM

The question they should have asked.

Posted by: In the Box ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 08:41AM

Why are some people so desperate for the government to control them? The Mormons are the same, everything must be decided for them. It absolves them of adult responsibility.

I wouldn't trust the government with much at all. Government is essentially a parasitic system which feeds off the work, good will and gullibility of regular folks like Mormonism. We only need government for the bare minimum.

Date: September 18, 2019 09:04AM

So tell us about this "bare minimum".

Posted by: In the Box ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 09:36AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So tell us about this "bare minimum".

If I explained that, we would be here all day... and my post wouldn't be the bare minimum.

Date: September 18, 2019 09:57AM

In other words, you can't explain yourself.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 07:50PM

Ask him what the "bare minimum" is in Canada. He should have a better sense of that.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 09:11AM

That’s how you get a banana republic.

Churches are an extension of the state. They are there to control people, so in return they get free money in the form of tax-free services. Mormonism is a highly effective control mechanism. It’s so good the FBI and CIA like to recruit Mormons. So don’t expect government to reign in TSCC.

I would suspect the arrangement has helped with the church’s wealth. Tithing and funny money are a match made in heaven.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 09:18AM

We're from the government and we're here to help.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 10:11AM

But your focus is too much on the politicians.The problem is deeper, much deeper. It's the political staffing--the aids, "experts," lobbyists, think tanks, bureaucrats and regulators who come up with legislative details, then administer them once enacted. This produces a broad sense of bonding, identity, common purpose and group think.

People's careers often involve lateral transfers between corporate interests and the legislative/administrative apparatus, back and forth, forth and back, creating an "old boys" network and mentality.

Worth noting is that the five richest counties in the US are all suburbs of that great generator of wealth, Washington,DC. As a former governor of my state once proclaimed, "Good jobs at good wages."

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 10:39AM

This editorial is crap! The U.S. government is not holding a gun at individuals and saying that you have to eat this or not eat that. It is, however, making recommendations on what people should eat based on scientific discoveries and how various foods interact with most people. Some state and city governments are (correctly) placing regulations on the books saying how bigporportion sizes should be for individual servings at restaurants, but they are not telling individuals that they have to purchase only one serving. Pasteurization, decried by the editorial, is used to remove harmful bacteria from milk. As I said, this editorial is nothing but pure crap!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 12:35PM

Thank you! I'm glad somebody pointed out what was obvious by the second sentence.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 11:08AM

This is kind of old. Bloomberg hasn't been NYC mayor since 2013. His soda tax was struck down for good by the NY Court of Appeals in 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugary_Drinks_Portion_Cap_Rule

He didn't require restaurants to serve low-salt food, he required "city restaurants with 15 or more locations nationwide to post a salt shaker encased in a black triangle as a warning next to menu items with more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium, the daily limit recommended by the federal government. …the salt rule did not restrict the use of sodium."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-new-york-salt/new-york-city-can-enforce-rule-on-salt-warnings-in-restaurants-court-idUSKCN0YH2CF

The gubmint already controls our diets to an extent. It's illegal in the US to eat dogs or cats. I suspect very few if any of us have a problem with that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_and_Cat_Meat_Trade_Prohibition_Act_of_2018

Foie gras is banned in California. Foodies in Beverly Hills mourned, while animal lovers in Beverly Hills cheered. Most people didn't much care because they can't afford foie gras anyway.

This is just an old random blog. I'm not worried about the gubmint coming to take away my bacon 4x4 from In-N-Out.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 12:51PM

logged out today Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The gubmint already controls our diets to an
> extent. It's illegal in the US to eat dogs or
> cats. I suspect very few if any of us have a
> problem with that.

A proposed ban on the consumption of dog and cat meat in the UK was recently blocked by the Ministry of Justice because it would discriminate against certain cultural groups that do eat them.

Posted by: anon 3 ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 07:29PM

Its a topic hotly debated in medical circles. But do you know what they say all the time when confronted:
You are responsible for your own health. Let that sink in for a few minutes. Just ponder it. Because this is the medical professionals last line of defense. You are responsible for your own health.
They could give you all kinds of doctors but you have to go to the appointment. You have to do what they tell you to do. You have to take the prescribed medications in exactly the same way that they told you to do. If you have an issue with any of that, you are supposed to discuss it with the doctor. You're not supposed to hide anything from your doctor. Its not the doctor's fault. You are responsible for your own health. Do the diet. Lose the weight. Take the supplements.do the exercise. PT. I heard one of the medical professionals talking about it to her group when they didn't know I was listening. And when they looked and saw I was there, they quickly started answering phones, getting records, going back to the rooms.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.