Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 01:09AM

I was listening to this song yesterday. It used to bring me peace and relief many years ago, but listening to it again recently gave me bad vibes.

"I am a child of God
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear."

What about families who aren't perfect, with parents who aren't kind and dear? There are multitudes of them. What about LDS families with parents who aren't kind and dear? I can imagine what those kids think to themselves when they hear this song. I get that it's great for those who can relate to these words, but this song is exclusionary of too many individuals.

"...Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late."

Threatening implications.

"...Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will,
I'll live with him once more."

Or be damned to achieve silver, bronze or the 4th place ribbon. Highly conditional love, not based on divine Grace. "Good works" matter, but you know what I mean.

"...Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure."

The promise of ambition and pleasure. Endure to the end against better judgment.

"Lead me, guide me, walk beside me"

Don't think for yourself. Don't be your own authority. Real guidance is great, but that's not the message I glean from learning how off this song actually is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 05:57AM

I know, creepy huh?

It's amazing how our view was so tinted when we were on the inside.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 08:15AM

One of the many things I find troubling about the song is that the child is given "kind and dear" parents but then asks God for help. Why doesn't the child ask his/her parents for help? What's the point of having kind and dear parents if they can't help, teach and guide their children? Why is this song teaching children that their parents are secondary to an invisible being? Perhaps if the children learn to trust in someone other than their kind and dear parents they're more likely to put their trust in church leaders - - church leaders who teach them that obedience to God = forking over 10% of their income.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.