Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: September 28, 2019 08:21PM

This relates to my divorcing my family.

I never officially resigned. I was content to just never go and disappear. It was working. First after stopping attending, I moved into a building with secure doors that you must be rung into. So I never had the rescue committee coming after me. Then I moved to a foreign country. So at the point of resigning, I had never attended for 8 years.

After divorcing my family i realized that I never resigned out of fear of what would happen behind my back if someone discover that I wasn't even a member at all anymore. Previously someone in my family had done a background check to see what they could dig up on me. But I was clean. So it wasn't out of the question that they would dig for dirt.

There was no penalty at all for just resigning. So I did. It felt great to not be stuck in some file in SLC as a project in need of rescue!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 28, 2019 08:39PM

I have never officially resigned. I go back and forth with myself as to whether or not to resign.

Why I haven't resigned: I feel like it's playing their game to resign. I'm not Mormon in my heart, mind or soul. If they still consider me a member, that's their problem.

Why I feel I should resign: I don't want to be (in any way) considered a part of an organization that I loathe so much.

I'm pretty sure I will eventually resign. maybe tomorrow, maybe years from now.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 03:38AM

I enjoyed divorcing them :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 01, 2019 12:35AM

Me too!!!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 03:47AM

If I resign, I give up any chance of being excommunicated.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 09:02PM

If you resign you deprive them of the chance of excommunicating you.

Would you look at quiting a job as giving up a chance to get fired?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 09:20PM

Ha! If they fire my ass, I get to collect unemployment! If I quit, I get nothing!

Besides, I'm going to appeal my case to Elohim's daddy-ghawd, who I've heard doesn't get along with Elohim.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 04:00AM

I resigned as a statement to everyone about how I was so against the mormon church and everything it stands for. To go inactive and attempt to disappear would have given the impression I just couldn’t be bothered, that I had a WoW problem, or was struggling to live their ‘commandments’ or was unworthy in some way. It also would have meant being discussed by missionaries and in church meetings, and having them contact me or knock on my door. Ultimately I couldn’t stand the thought that I was still mormon in some way.

In resigning I feel I stood up for what I believe in and what I believe is right. I got to tell the bishop and stake president everything I knew and that I knew it was all a lie. I also then sent my resignation letter to my family as well. My only regret is not sending it to the entire ward; but I’d had enough at that point and just wanted a clean break and to move on more or less quietly.

Of course they ignored it all, but it was a matter of principle to me. They can’t complain to me that they don’t understand; they know if they do, I can just redirect them to that letter, and as they don’t want to read it again, they leave me alone. It was also important to me to resign, because I was the first in my family to join, and I wanted to make it clear how not ok that whole cult religion is and what I now knew instead.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 08:50AM

If I resign it'll make becoming an apostle just that much more difficult and I think we can agree I have already made it difficult enough!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 10:14AM

I always said I wouldn't resign as I wasn't going to play their game. It is one of the best things I've done for myself. I've never had one regret. I felt like a huge load had been lifted off my shoulders.

I like how Susan said it, "I enjoyed divorcing them." I didn't divorce the "husband." Says something, doesn't it. But now my sealing is null and void, so the important divorce has been accomplished.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 11:21AM

I resigned because I wanted to.

The end.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 11:23AM

The look of fear and panic on the family was worth it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 30, 2019 03:10PM

Haha. The icing on the cake!

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 11:28AM

Even if you resign, you still have a file at COB and/or GM. You are never truly free of the cult.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: September 30, 2019 03:08PM

They may still have a file on me, but in that file it specifically states that I am no longer a member of their organization. Anyone who looks me up in their system will see that I chose to leave. People who don't resign don't have that flag in their file.

That flag does several things as far as I can tell. Mainly, it has removed me from the "find him and make a project out of him list". We went from having stale cookies dropped off at our porch on a semi-regular basis and phone calls from people that we had never met saying they "missed us" to being left alone overnight. We did have one missionary visit a year after resigning, but I wrote that off as missionaries not cleaning up their paperwork (which, having been a missionary myself, I'm familiar with that happening). Not a peep since.

I get why some people don't want to resign. It can feel like jumping through "their" hoops, and that's their decision. But I wanted it clear that I am not a member. I wanted them to have to update their systems to say that I want nothing to do with them. That's why I resigned.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 11:53AM

I am still a mormon priest.
The only people not impressed by this are mormons and ex-mormons.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 11:57AM

What ChurchCo does BEST:

create conflicts in people's minds

Undermines / dilutes the core values - principles of Christ-Like living

Splits TEARS families apart over trivial nonsense.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 30, 2019 02:48PM

For me, resigning was a point of self-definition. I could confidently say that I was no longer Mormon in a way that felt truly genuine to myself. It was official. That was psychologically liberating for me. I've never regretted it.

I was no longer in that gray zone between in and out. This was final.

Resigning is not a magical elixir of recovery, and it does not guarantee you will never have missionaries or others turn up (I had a two-year spell in 2017-18 with 3 LDS missionary encounters and one pair of JWs. All good so far this year.). But depending on one's state of mind--I believe it can help.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.