Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 01, 2019 09:53AM

I remember when I was young there was a church program called something like "young marrieds" that was a social outlet for newly married young couples.

Does it still exist?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 01, 2019 10:08AM

married in 1984.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 01, 2019 06:07PM

I got married in 1973...to a Catholic. My parents, both good members of the cult never once suggested I bring my wife to church. Others however, never missed an opportunity to invite me to every friggin' GD ward or stake activity..."and be sure to bring your wife". !#@$!#$!@#$!@#! Needless to say I never took them up on their offers.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 01, 2019 06:47PM

I recall about 10 years ago they use to have some sort of class taught at the institute where young newly engaged people under 30 got marriage counselling. I'm not sure what they counselled them to do though?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 01, 2019 07:08PM

I was the EQP in a ward of mostly dairy farmers, out on the Provo/Orem edge of Utah Lake, and they may have been involved in a young married activity for quite some time.

At the end of the evening of the first social activity my BYU bride and I attended, right after the closing prayer, someone yelled out, "Okay, all the men toss their keyrings into a hat and the ladies close your eyes and reach in and that's who you go home with!!

Much laughter... Talk about risky business!

Posted by: forester ( )
Date: October 02, 2019 01:54AM

My parents participated in the Young Marrieds in the '60's. They were married in 1961 and they had outings several times a month I think on Fridays. I always had a babysitter on those nights. My mom loved it and she was always planning dinner parties for the group. They would play games and I could never go to sleep because they were laughing so loudly.

My mom was really sad when they discontinued the program- probably around the same time as Correlation. My first marriage was in 1985 while me and the now ex were at BYU. I guess you could say the married student wards were set up to mimc the old Young Marrieds but I never had any of the fun that my parents seemed to have had.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.