Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 01:51AM

I kid you not! The church's new youth program is called PISS for "physical, intellectual, spiritual, social."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/youth/activities/bc/pdfs/ym-activities/PD60005946_000_NeedsAssessment_YM_web.pdf?lang=eng

Oops, my bad. Because someone at church headquarters had a brief moment of clarity, they mixed up the initials to get a preferable acronym: SSIP.

In other church news, the ward YW and YM programs are now directed to get equal funding based on the number of boys and girls in each group, evidently because it's 2019, and giving the boys more money just because is simply embarrassing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 02:00AM

The kids will call it PISS. Trust me.

Just more rearranging of the chairs on the Titanic. I wonder when all this temple building will finally stop?

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 01:52PM

...sipsip: Tagalog for; "to suck, or suck, snob, suckup, sycophant."

Once again, the Church nailed it.

Posted by: iknowthischurchisfalse ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 07:02PM

Self owning, classic.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 02:13AM

I am shocked that it says these goals need not be shared by leaders, parents or peers.

Most definitely not the church that I grew up with. This is how I remember it as a 12 year old deacon. "Now Messy, we are waiting for you to tell us how you are going to become more spiritual this coming week. Until you speak up, we are going to sit here. Nobody is going home until you share."

Posted by: pearlyeverlasting ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 01:44AM

Or even worse, the chart that was stuck on the wall to monitor everyone's progress.

My daughters YW's teacher was big on these charts. I demanded that my daughters name be removed from them because it was nobody's business, not even the teachers. That got me blacklisted for a bit, then they all got over it. Other parents started to make the same demand.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 03:42AM

We used to have young men's in the bishop's office. It was a big office with a conference table. We used to sit around the table and have a little lesson. Have a discussion. Tell jokes.

No goal setting as far as the church went but we set goals of course in scouting.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 09:08AM

OR maybe it is just too much work and they don't have enough leaders or enough kids??

The chart looks familiar. Just change the wording.

All this goal making makes me hate goals. I don't have goals and, if I ever make a goal, I immediately rebel against it. I always regret ever coming up with one.

Crazy making.

I still think they should call it PISS.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 09:59AM

I'm with you on that goals business. Just more crap to make me feel guilty.

Posted by: Hedning .... ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 12:59AM

I still have 30 more people to baptize in Norway ... sheesh

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 10:37AM

The late sixties were the Golden Age of Goal Setting for the church (for the youth). All it accomplished was (a) massive guilt because nobody ever achieved any of their goals, and (b) a whole generation deprived of any real success in achieving the goals they really wanted for their lives.

And who thought this was a good idea???

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 04:53AM

When I was in the Mormon youth program, we girls didn't set our own goals; the goals were already chosen for us in the manual.

You're right, slskipper, the goals I really wanted for my life weren't even in there. I was smart enough to not do any of it, and go to Young Women's just for the socializing, and the activities. Now those have been taken away, there's no reason for a youngster to go, anymore.

Nelson has gone too far. He and the presidency have overlooked something very important: Tradition! In the past, parents have been the cult's allies. Mormon dads are proud of their Eagle Scout award--but now, there is no such thing as Scouts, even. Moms got their Womanhood Award (I don't remember what it was called), and now their daughters won't know what a Laurel, or a Mia Maid, or a Beehive is. The parents remember fondly all the the activities, and the road shows, one-act plays, Gold and Breen balls, caroling at Christmas, making ornaments for the ward Christmas tree, making things for the bazaars, and bake sales--they will realize that their children will not have those fun times.

Religion, to most NOM's and mixed-religion couples, and marginalized Mormons is more than just scriptures and listening to old conference talks, and being hit-up for money, and cleaning toilets.

Most churches, nowadays, offer a sense of community!

Churches provide friends! (No talking in the Mormon hallways between meetings, no meet-and greets, no missionary open houses, no farewells and homecomings, keep testimonies brief and impersonal, lessons keep strictly to the lesson manual, sacrament meeting talks are from old conference speeches, and no class discussions, no loitering in the Celestial Room, no outside clubs allowed.

--Churches are a support system! No more VT's and Ht's. I know several elderly people who have left the Mormon church, for the Catholic, Lutheran, and Jewish churches. The famous Mormon welfare system has toughened up. Needy Mormons are told to depend on their family members, instead of welfare--but to keep paying tithing.

--Churches are an opportunity to serve. Mormons have given only to the cult, and no outside charities, in my lifetime of being a member. Mormons can't volunteer with their friends, or choose a job that utilizes their talents and interests. Teachers babysit in the nursery, or read out of a manual, and can't expand the classroom experience, or challenge the class, or have fun with the kids. Doctors do janitor work. Soccer dads and fun-loving dads are turned into financial clerks. And now, all the musical souls, the sewers and cooks, the nature-lovers, the writers and poets are all going to be nothing but SALESPEOPLE. Members are to bear the brunt of most of the missionary work in their areas, and they will be responsible for--and blamed for--the many members who are leaving Mormonism, in droves.

Date: October 07, 2019 03:08PM

exminion Wrote:

Perfectly said exminion!

I kept attending with the hope that some of the community building activities would return, but the joy of the church was fading fast; even in the 1990s. It was all about church policy and restrictions as to what members could and could not do. I recall having Halloween fun inside the church. All the decorated and spooky rooms and the cultural hall filled with games for the kiddies. I know the youth loved to create a scary maze with hands from appearing from behind the curtains and a monster that would arise from the table. It was fun stuff back then.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 11:38AM

Obviously, in their little bubble, they didn't think about the acronym.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 11:47AM

For my big Laurel project I sew myself a dress. The dress turned out not so pretty but I wore it one Sunday so I could get signed off on my goal and receive my young woman medal. Now instead of eagle Scouts the boys are becoming a "PISS award"?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 11:51AM

Mutual Improvement Association

YWMIA

Young Women's

now PISS. great, at least they recognize / acknowledge the needs - benefit of updating their youth programs, even if they never come close to getting it interesting, challenging.

just put successful appearing clones at the head of it, 'that will do the trick', ja ja

Date: October 06, 2019 12:05PM

During that period, leaders spoke at great length about the dangers and evils of heavy metal music. Groups like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Ozzy and AC-DC were mentioned and said to be full of the devil.

One group was specifically targeted, KISS. This group was so terrible because each letter stood for Kids In Satan's Service. I thought this was a bad joke because that's what I heard at school during lunchtime gossiping.

So using church logic, the new youth program represents People In Satan's Service.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 09:56AM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> So using church logic, the new youth program
> represents People In Satan's Service.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! Too funny!

I remember the horror KISS evoked. We were in grade five or six or so and obsessed with the song Beth. That’s all we knew. We didn’t know how it was satanic, but we trusted that it must be, somehow.

We also chanted “we don’t need no education...” at recess, sans any clue what another brink in the walk might mean.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 10:09AM

So then I saw the list of entertainers at Woodstock. We were taught how horribly evil they all were. I didn't even listen to Simon and Garfunkel very much until my TBM roommate listened to them. My brother listened to the Doors as a teenager and my dad and him argued about it. Then when I was a YW leader, the holy family in the ward's daughter was telling the other leader what music she shouldn't let her son listen to. Then I found out her father listens to the Doors.

I listened to Bread and The Carpenters. I felt guilty for listening to Billy Joel after I got out of high school. Now that is ONE THING my TBM daughter hasn't given up--her music. She listens to all the stuff that was considered evil when I was young.

Posted by: pearlyeverlasting ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 02:13AM

I was just the opposite. I loved the rock and roll and the attitude that came with it. It spoke to my artsy filled soul.

I saved my money and saw the Beatles in Portland when I was in 8th grade. I saw Elvis, the Beach boys, and best of all I saw Janis Joplin. I adored her. Simon and Garfunkle, Crosby Stills, Nash, Young, and Taylor sang to my soul.
Later I became a bit country and loved Kenny Rogers, Linda Ronstat, Carol King, and I was crazy about almost every female singer out there. So many good ones Stevie Nix was awesome.

I was totally looked down on for liking this music. I wasn't the only one though. I listened to music that stirred my soul and fed my art. It was a great combination.

I was totally shunned by Mormons for my talents and likes in music. Didn't care.

My other option was sitting under fluorescent lights (trigger migraines in me) and listen to why I shouldn't be who I am. In fact, I was evil. My art was evil. There was persecution by members for being who I was. I knew I could never be Mormon and me at the same

When I was about 17 10 of my artsy music friends all rented a big old house together. I'd say it was a bit of a commune. Most of our parents were beside themselves.

We did well though. We did our art and sold it at Saturday market. The musicians played their music at out art stands. The next thing you knew, we had a thing going. It was a very fun time in my life. Surprisingly I made a boat load of money making and selling little fabric boxes and jewelry. Sometimes I'd do a gigantic painting. It was fun. I was happy.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 05:00AM

The acronym was just a rumour, which the band repeatedly denied. I suspect it was the mormon church which made this into a big deal. More control tactics.

I remember hearing about Alice Cooper as a young new mormon. That he was basically evil because he was ex-mormon, and worse still, he had set fire to his temple garments on stage. I don’t know if that part is true, but he is actually an ex-member of one of the mormon off-shoot churches.

More interesting is that Ted Buddy is an exmormon. Funny how the church doesn’t go on about him though isn’t it?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 10:18AM

I think SIPS would be better. Every week they could tell the kids to take a few more SIPS of the Kool-Aid.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 11:31AM

PISS. Makes sense. They are more concerned with genitalia and continuously immersing them in baptismal water in preparation for making cleaner Mormon babies.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 02:49PM

PISSed = mad recess
MAD mothers and Dads

Never a break
Always a fake

COOLaid - help [HELL] for those who aren't too cool (to make sure they stay that way, or get worse).

KIDS (Keep It DAMN Secret)!

Positive? HELL NO!
Intellectual? Hmmm?
Sinner! Like a beginner.
Saint? Never seen one.

PISS on 'em
Shat on 'em
Screw 'em
Nail 'em
Hammer 'em
Cut 'em
Bleed 'em
KISS 'em
(Kut Into Small Segments)
Trash 'em
Forget 'em
Leave 'em
Abandon 'em
Neglect 'em
PUNISH 'em...

Like thou art punished

No matter the name, the game is the same.

RUIN the youth!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 06:21PM

There is a boy with a man bun in this video.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/youth/video/lifes-drama?lang=eng

I don't even know what to say. Speechless.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 07:46PM

Hey,

At least they are funding boys and girls programs equally. I thought that would never happen.

Of course nothin plus nothin means nothin.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 02:47AM

(PPI -- Personal Priesthood Interviews).

I think it was an inside joke in the Church Office Building.

They give us peepee eye with their steady stream of toxic nonsense and we say thank you if they pronounce us worthy to receive more toxic nonsense.

(That golden hue in the ppi is not from golden rays of sunshine.)

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 02:56AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Oops, my bad. Because someone at church
> headquarters had a brief moment of clarity, they
> mixed up the initials to get a preferable acronym:
> SSIP.
>
>The order in the latest version is SSPI ("spy"). Or S.S. P.I. (a private investigator working for the SS.)

What'll you bet the first proposal was for "Spirituality Health Intellect Testimony"...and then someone noticed the unfortunate acronym that resulted.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.