Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 06:08PM

flaming swords are depicted as being a more awesome weapon than a normal sword ~

in b 4 ~ a flaming sword would actually just cauterize any wound it made ~

thereby making a flaming sword less lethal than a regular sword ~

ergo ~

less awesome ~

plz explain RfM ~

thx ~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 06:29PM

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> plz explain RfM ~

It is just God's pink slip which is followed by death.

"1894: Zina Huntington—[Joseph] sent word to me by my brother, saying, 'Tell Zina I put it off and put it off till an angel with a drawn sword stood by me and told me if I did not establish that principle upon the earth, I would lost my position and my life.'" [4]"
https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Question:_Did_Joseph_claim_that_an_angel_threatened_him_with_a_%22drawn_sword%22_or_%22flaming_sword%22_if_a_woman_refused_to_marry_him%3F

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 06:53PM

While cauterizing a flesh wound perhaps, I don't think it would stop death from severed arteries, so still semi-awesome as a sword.

However, the flaming nature of the weapon adds new uses.

It can be used as a torch to light your way at night as you charge into battle, or flee from the enemy.

It can be used to torch a village as you ride through homes with thatched roofs, or you could set your enemy on fire with it. Hard to fight back when you're on fire you know.

You can signal your forces with it at night from a mountain top or other high place. No more bonfires required.

It can be used to warm the body, and cook meals on the battlefield, boil water, etc.

And when the war is over, you can use it to brand your cattle back home, and dry your tobacco leaves so you ca treat your sick cattle and bruises.

Plus, it looks really cool, so it has the shock and awe value going for it.

So...different? Yes. Less awesome? No way! Imagine the estimate if that thing ever came up on Antiques Roadshow!!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 06:59PM

Haha. brand your cattle and dry your tobacco for the cattle. hahahah..

I think all you missed is caramelizing the sugar on your creme brulee.

I think I would also enjoy having one in my hand when answering the door to the missionaries and asking "What is wanted?"

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 10:47PM

OK ~ thx for that explanation Roy ~

and thx to D&D ~

this is now a creme brulee thred ~

creme brulee is awesome ~

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 11:18AM

~ in 4 Creme Brulee.

~ b4 its gone.

~ brb 4 more.

Date: October 08, 2019 01:08PM

You missed convincing women to have sex with you.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 12:09AM

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 02:08AM

"Flaming Swords" should be a band name.

But really how much good did flaming swords do on Game of thrones? The entire Dothraki army had them and they were wiped out by the Night King's army.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 03:09AM

it's usually accomplished by way of a flaming sword. But angels have other ways of torching their targets. There's the "Breath of Death" which is more of a caustic chemical burn. But the result is usually the same...a charcoal briquette that was once a human being.

The angel that commanded Joseph Smith, Jr. to have sex with various women chose to turn off the flame before showing the sword. There was some concern that Joe's priesthood could get burnt by accident...and that would have frustrated God's purpose which was for Joe to share his priesthood with as many women as possible.

There was reportedly an angel using a flaming sword at the entrance to the Garden of Eden. According to the story, after Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden of Eden Spa and Resort, they tried to sneak back in, but found their way blocked by an angel wielding a flaming sword. But experts and academicians generally agree that it was more likely flaming sticks being twirled by "fire dancers" in a Tiki show that was being put on for a special luau inside the Garden. Adam and Eve only saw it from a distance and assumed the worst because their expulsion from the resort had shaken their confidence and given them a form of PTSD.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 11:50AM

You want to chop me up and burn me at the same time ?

Date: October 08, 2019 01:07PM

Butchering+BBQ - smokin'...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 05:09PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.