Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 11:12AM

Anyone notice any changes? I just had to go back and re-listen to one of the talks I heard live on Sunday that I found unsettling. Unless I'm mistaken now it's practically a different talk! Ballard gave a whole segment about "marrying the right person is the most important thing you will ever do." Implying that if you make a mistake, or are not pretty enough, smart enough, good enough, Your screwed and not going to Mormon Heaven!

The whole tone now is completely different. It's not heavy handed anymore. Any other changes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz_Xkb_x_K8

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 11:32AM

they are the ones who STRONGLY encouraged me to marry my gay "husband."

Date: October 08, 2019 12:13PM

I should also mention that he stated that his wife was absolutely the right person for him to marry. And then he lists what the qualities of the "right person" is:
1) never ever have a job outside the home
2) looked after 7 children
3) was really busy everyday with a schedule

1950s Gender roles were explicitly demanded.

The talk now in it's present form is just a tribute to the deceased wife and doesn't say much more of anything else. At least 5 minutes of the talk are missing.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 01:36PM

'married the right person'???

why, that's like saying that Absolutely No adjustments, no compromising was needed or appropriate...

more B.S. from BS HQ

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 12:14PM

This has happened in the past. It makes no sense because they are supposed to have their talks vetted ahead of time.

It reminds me of an authoritarian dictatorship that brags about never being wrong, always doing what is best for the state. Not being intimidated. Then a group of people begin to question and they back-pedal their position.

Maybe the tone of Ballard's talk pissed off Brother Wendy or another Ga's wife. So they re-filmed it (it's very easy to do at the new conference center).

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 12:19PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 01:07PM

I'm sorry, but I tuned out when he said in a flat monotone "Oh how I love and miss her." He could have borrowed a bit of Eyring's choking up for that; I'm sorry, I don't know how I'll be a year after my wife dies, but he delivered that like he was presenting a monthly financial report.
In a weekend of rote recitations that repeated the same stuff that TBM's are supposed to know from the time they 3 years old, over and over and over and over, Ballard's talk hit the low mark for boredom--I think I had him on the background while I was looking on ebay for some old Matchbox toys to add to my collection.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 01:44PM

I wanted to get married and not have to work outside the home, get married young, etc. Never happened. I must have not been worthy, which everyone led we single women to believe. Well, I also never wore lipstick, not like I wasn't nice looking as I was.

So then they tell me to marry someone gay, but I couldn't marry a nonmormon? And I worked up until I had twins and then I snuck out and looked for a job behind my husband's back. Good I did. And it is obvious I failed because my gay husband cheated and left. It is all on the women's shoulders.

They are so full of bullshit.

For a select few, mormonism seems to work.

And it is interesting that they have already deleted these parts from his talk. I wonder what my daughter thought of his talk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 01:45PM by cl2.

Date: October 08, 2019 09:17PM

Very good points! Yes mormondom works splendidly for a few lucky ones, and many of those lucky ones seem to be all too eager to blow out our candles so theirs can be the brightest in the room!

I wonder though they are suppose to be inspired "apostles" spending hours every day for months writing these talks and hardly before they are done speaking some committee of bureaucrats come along and yank out whole sections of inspired counsel.

It has to be infuriating to be dissed like that.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 09:47PM

Irked her that you shouldn't eat out on Sunday. Worked for everyone but the person who had to cook.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 09:22PM

I have a sister who married a gay Mormon to get her temple privilege--inheritance from my father. It's all fake. The blessings are temporal like everything else under the sun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.