Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 02:52PM

This morning eating breakfast with my wife I asked her about what she told me yesterday. She told me that the church had discontinued Young Mens. Today I asked her if there was a Presidency governing Young Mens.

It came up because our neighbor is the Stake Young Mens President. Um, not anymore.

My wife said she didn't think there was a General Presidency for Young Mens.

They were that memorable.

But they are no more.

Click this.
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=young+men%27s+general+presidency

Click the first link.

Get this.
Page Not Found
We're sorry, but the page you're looking for was not found.

Click back and click the second link.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/topic/young-men-presidency

I can't tell from the above link if these men were GA? Were they?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 09, 2019 05:32PM

Wonder why no Wiki Mormon has jumped on this edit.

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Men_(organization)";

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 05:33PM by Elder Berry.

Date: October 10, 2019 11:46AM

Young Mens goes away and no one much cares. I wonder what if Young Women's went away if anyone would notice?

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 04:26PM

Well gosh darn it, ain't that peculiar?

It was so important, urgent even, when they were preparing a chosen generation of noble Young Men to meet the Savior at His coming. And then--whoosh--the Presidency is gone, but all the people are still here!

Date: October 10, 2019 04:32PM

And look at the previous members of this general presidency...

Wilford Woodruff
Joseph F. Smith
Lorenzo Snow
Heber J. Grant
B. H. Roberts
Richard R. Lyman
George Albert Smith
Melvin J. Ballard

Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 07:02PM

They have eliminated ward young men's presidencies, but they have not eliminated the young men's program, or for that matter stake or churchwide young men's presidencies. See here:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-05/general-conference-october-2019-young-men-priesthood-163027

Here are the relevant quotes from the article:

"Young Men presidencies at the ward level will be discontinued by January 2020, allowing bishoprics to give greater emphasis and focus on the priesthood responsibilities of young men and help them in their quorum duties, Church leaders announced Saturday afternoon.
In addition to the discontinuation of ward Young Men presidencies, Elder Cook announced:

* At the general and stake levels, the Church will continue to have Young Men presidencies. At the stake level, a high councilor will be the Young Men president and will, with the high councilors assigned to Young Women and Primary, be part of the stake Aaronic Priesthood — Young Women Committee. A high councilor will also serve as stake Sunday School president.

* Young Men advisers will be called at the ward level to assist the Aaronic Priesthood quorum presidencies and the bishopric in their duties.

* The bishopric youth committee meeting will be replaced by a ward youth council.

* The word “Mutual” will be retired and become “Young Women activities,” “Aaronic Priesthood quorum activities,” or “youth activities” and will be held weekly where possible.

* The ward budget for youth activities will be divided equitably between the Young Men and Young Women according to the number of youth in each organization. A sufficient amount will be provided for Primary activities.
* At all levels — ward, stake and general — the term “organization” replaces the term “auxiliary.” Those who lead the Relief Society, Young Women, Young Men, Primary and Sunday School general organizations will be known as “general officers.” Those who lead organizations at the ward and stake levels will be known as “ward officers” and “stake officers.”

* Ward Young Women presidents will now report to and counsel directly with the bishop of the ward. In the past, this assignment could be delegated to a counselor."

Date: October 11, 2019 11:11AM

So where is the General Young Mens Presidency page?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.