Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 08:35AM

So again ChurchCo announced new temples, eight this time. And weepy-eyed members are blathering about what a sure sign this is that the church is true in these the latter days.

I have for a long time thought that in an era of stagnant growth, new temples are announced and built to stimulate revenue, but that is entirely speculative.

Does anyone have any real insight into what goes on in the COB that drives temple site selection?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 02:19PM

The only insight I have concerns the Layton temple.

A local newspaper article stated that about 10 years ago the church made a contract with a local farmer that in consideration for an undisclosed amount of money up front the farmers would not sell their land to anyone but the church for a five year period.

Once the agreement was about to lapse, the church made another 5 year agreement.

So for about 10 years the church new it wanted the land. If for a stake center or a temple I don't know but eventually it was announced as a temple site.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 02:28PM

Maybe they are going to build a temple in Hyrum after all. (Not likely.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.