Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 03:27AM

I had a talk with a member of the first quorum of the seventy about 18 years ago and he said the church was not growing much. The only thing keeping it going was the members having babies.

I figure a third of the church membership are active if even that. I would imagine the church is shrinking now. The church’s policies towards gays have upset many people to where they have left or are no longer active. People I never thought would leave have.

Right now there is a go getter narcissist running the church. He’s making a lot of moves to attempt to keep the younger members in the church. I don’t think much is going to come from his changes. I don’t think the church knows what to do but it’s leaders egos will never admit it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 03:58AM

I don’t think it will continue to grow; at least not in proportion to population growth. I think someone said this here before, but they are going to focus on retaining the ultra TBMs and temple goers. It’s going to become increasingly difficult to brainwash new members into being long time ultra TBMs, what with the internet and negative public image due to things like homophobia. They probably realise this. The changes they’re making isn’t going to be enough to compensate. The mormon church is in trouble. It will be interesting to see and I hope it crumbles.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 10:14AM

I was told by one of the church's elite that he hated going to the eastern states because Mormonism held no status there. He spent all his time defending his religion and his position as a teacher at BYU. Lucky guy died a few years ago and is out of the. lime light.

Rusty is trying to get in good with the Catholics and Evangelicals because they have large memberships with political power and have the respect of their members (membership is even growing) and are the only modern Christian faiths that still insist that being gay is a sin. He appears to be bringing Evangelical speak into Mormon vocabulary as a way to hide the old fashioned Mormon traditions and values that are still standard protocol.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.