Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 11:26AM

I am related to a Q15 member. Do you think it would be weird to start writing them about my problems with the cult and bashing the them along the way? My dad is freaked out about this because he does not want to be embarrassed. What can I say without crossing any legal boundaries? Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 11:28AM

*Q12

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 11:30AM

I wouldn't. It might create problems within the family. And it might be construed as threats or harassment. Feel free to vent here, instead.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 11:47AM

Maybe you can talk some sense into him !!

Sure, that’s the ticket...Yeah!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 11:52AM

“Bashing” them would likely cause problems, and probably accomplish nothing.

If you decide to pursue this, take it slow. Don’t throw all of your problems at him at once, and don’t start off being antagonistic. If polygamy is one of your issues, you could say something like “it bothers me that Joseph Smith violated all of the rules for plural marriage put forth by the Lord in Section 132.” If he responds with a nice sounding platitude, you can (politely) insist on a genuine response.

It probably won’t accomplish anything, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 12:40PM

Clever is better than bashing. If you do it, write it and don't send it. After a week look at it again with fresh eyes and make it more clever as in asking questions in such a way that there is no good Mormon answer. Let it go another week, then re-read and make your decision to send.

I have a brother who is what I call a "Jr GA" and I wrote him a classy but scathing letter because I couldn't bear his pompous arrogance another second knowing that his role was to implement much of what the GA's themselves don't want to be seen as participating in. Like political involvement regarding LGBQ.

I responded because he referred to himself as my "friend" and I had to assure him that he was not my friend by any stretch of the imagination. The letter was blunt, to the point, and strong but had class.

No response to the letter. No surprise. At family gatherings he is cordial. I say hello and keep it at that. Had he never spoke to me again that would have been fine. I am me to my family. Take it or leave it.

My point is, the letter had no effect, except, I felt much better. It was very good for me. I had expressed who I was honestly and that was very important to me.

Like CripingPin said, only do this if it is for yourself. It will have no effect on a TBM GA and they will only use it as an excuse to see you as even more controlled by the Adversary than they previously thought.
GAs are used to letters such as you are considering. For some reason the old saying, "water off a duck's back" comes to mind. Hmmmmmnnnn.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 12:42PM

I doubt you will get a reply. Even if your letter is acknowledged, any points you raise will either be blatantly ignored or he will just answer by bearing his testimony or criticising you.
It’s pretty pointless.
Ask yourself what outcome you want?

Posted by: Cy the Cynic ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 12:46PM

Maybe you can get some money from this. Tell dad you won't make waves in exchange for XXX dollars. Depending on how panicked he is, you could make some serious bank.

Hey, the church extorts money too. Think of it as hard-edged capitalism. It's the Mormon way. Turn it to your advantage for once. Just make sure nothing's in writing.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 12:58PM

If you need a pathetic loser to write to, why not write to me?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 01:59PM

I'd bet 99.999999% of all letters are intercepted.

You'll probably get a form letter telling you to contact your local bishop.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 03:05PM

He may request a special meeting with you? Since your part of Mormon Royalty or related to Royalty. So whatever you write be prepared to stand by and be able to explain it face to face.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 04:44PM

If you write, you might request a face to face meeting. He won't want anything in writing from him to come back and haunt him, even a letter that says nothing controversial. He won't want anything that might be recorded so be sure to let him know you are not planning on using anything against him like a recorded phone conversation etc. You just have some questions.

Remember that Steve B. has repeated lots of his interactions with his grandfather so your relative probably won't believe you anyway. If you are close to him he might be more secure but if not, I sure bet he will be closed and guarded with you.

Back in the days when GA's still talked to members after talks out in "the field" I asked Eyering a question about how to get my father to be more responsive to the church (yes, it was a LONG time ago when I was still deluded). The question urked him and he coldly said, "Tell him to pray. Next." I had sort of thought I'd get a little comfort, encouragement, or promise that the Lord knew my heart and heard my prayers, etc. but I got an exasperated and curt response. This makes me wonder how Eyering can be so teary eyed in his talks. I think he is a huge fake.

Don't hold your breath for anything enlightening. And if Eyering is your relative, don't expect much compassion. His tears are of the crocodile variety.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 03:45PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 05:41PM

If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything. These guys made their own beds. Let them sleep in them. Nature will take care of the rest.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 12:55AM

In my resignation letter, I carefully recounted the events that led me to resigning and explained how unhealthy and dysfunctional the church leaders who I had dealt with were. I told them in that letter that the church is a cult, and asked to have someone in the first presidency review my letter and to let me know if I got anything I wrote about the church, wrong. All the way to the top, there can be no ignorance factor now. Either they read it or they didn't. But either way, no one got back to me to apologize, nor to point out any mis-understandings. Either they didn't care or they were incapable of recognizing the truth of their own actions.

I have often entertained the idea of either meeting with church leaders (thirty years later), or of sending them a letter. But I know that that too, would go nowhere. So instead, I do everything I can to discredit and tear-down the church now ar every opportunity. I am pretty sure that my affiliation with the Mormon church has resulted in a net loss for them and I still plan to keep discrediting the mormon church now for the rest of my life. They should have treated me differently. If they didn't know right from wrong, at least they could have made a better business decision.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 08:23AM

As others have stated, just writing the letter for yourself may be as cathartic as actually sending it for him to read.

It is unlikely that you would write anything he hasn't already heard and dismissed. The time your letter would have had the most impact would have been long before he committed his star to the Mormon church.

One doesn't become a member of the Q without having first demonstrated to the others that he is dedicated company man. That kind of dedication and accompanying self-interest makes one impervious to letters from the flock, even if the flock were related.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 11:43AM

nolongerangry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thoughts?

I think most exMormons have wondered what they could say to the top of the Mormon pyramid. In a culture of deception and half-truths promoted as The Truth cutting through their cheese and getting an honest response would be awesome. But it will never happen. It would be like getting The English Royals to say how useless and superficial they are.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.