Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:35PM

My parents never tried to ban anything, but I had a friend whose parents wouldn't allow her to listen to Madonna.

I also remember some faith promoting story that floated around about an apostle who was seated next to some rock star on a flight and the rock star supposedly admitted to specifically writing his music to drive teenagers to sex. I didn't think teenagers needed any help...

Anywho.... please post your music stories 'cause I'm curious. Thanks!! : )

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:38PM

They did ban me from listening to rap/hip hop. NWA and Eazy-E were still big at the time, when we were living in California. I guess that they didn't like the whole "violence" aspect. However, Led Zepplin, AC/DC, the Doors and whatnot were more than okay. Go fiqure?

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:38PM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:39PM

Except the damn Osmonds that I could not stand and older stuff like the Beatles. I of course hid a lot of stuff. Had my little Flavoradio from Radio shack and earphones :).

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:42PM

I was invited to go see Smashing Pumpkins when I was in high school.

My dad said I couldn't go because he had asked one of the loser students that was working in his department at byu, and he said all their music was evil.

I don't know about you, but nothing brings on the satanic thoughts and actions like 'Tonight, Tonight.' *Rolling eyes

(Still bitter about this BTW)

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:49PM

Who didn't they ban, would be an easier question... Basically, if it wasn't allowed at a church dance, we couldn't listen to it.

It was to the point that my Dad blocked the MTV channel (and several others, even those basic cable channels), they were EVIL! You know, full of all kinds of terrible influences on teenagers and clean spirited Mormons.

Even now, they have a device installed on the TV to block "foul" language. It works by reading the closed captioning, if there's a word in it's list it blocks the sound and pop's up edited closed captioning. So, they could be watching something and suddenly the sound will cut out and the words "HUG YOU!" will pop up on the screen. I can't remember any examples off the top of my head but sometimes it makes things even more suggestive due to innuendo. (Other banned words that make me giggle "Jesus Christ" and "God", so when they are watching a church video, there's a lot of editing even then)

As for specific's on music, any Heavy Metal was out, Madonna ("Like a Virgin" indeed), the list is too long. We were allowed to listen to the Osmunds and the Jets and I think my Mom liked Air Supply.

I love it when people ask me now, "Did you ever listen to so and so?" My response is always "Nope, that was EVIL! EVIL I say!"

Date: June 23, 2011 05:53PM

finallyfree Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who didn't they ban, would be an easier
> question... Basically, if it wasn't allowed at a
> church dance, we couldn't listen to it.

LOL. What music did they play at your dances? They used to play Violent Femmes "Blister in the Sun" ALL of the time at my husband's youth dances in SoCal in the '90's. He thought that was hilarious. Nothing like singing and dancing to a masturbation song at the stake house. ; )

Just for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5dn_6R8Iy0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2011 05:56PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:55PM

My in-laws have (or maybe had?) a VCR/DVD player that would edit out the curse words based on the closed captioning. Since the timing was off and the words didn't appear on the screen at the same time they were said, often all the editing did was let you know that a swear word was coming up. It would edit out the three or four words before the swear word but not the word itself. Good times.

The parents of my wife's roommate at the time we were dating owned a few edited video rental businesses in Utah. We watched a few edited r-rated movies. Often they made no sense once edited. I always wondered about the worthiness of the people whose job it was to watch the full version of the movie and decide what to take out. Were they non-members? Maybe they had already had their second annointing so they were ok seeing nudity?

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:49PM

My 45 of "Brick House" by the Commodores was confiscated and broken into pieces during a rant by my mom where she screeched "do you know what they're talking about?! It's a sh*t house!!"

Sigh.

It was pretty clear that KISS and similar bands weren't going to be allowed, so I didn't try. I got crap for listening to Earth, Wind and Fire too, but they let me keep it. My non-mo stepdad made a point of showing me that there were no white people in the band.

My sister rebelled harder than I did. Came out as a lesbian in HS and started playing in a punk band in the greater Seattle area. She got away with Bowie in his androgynous phase, Adam Ant, and hardcore feminist punk like Crass's "Shaved Women."

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:55PM

Since I WAS the TBM parent, this is what I banned:

1. Yanni and his fucking skin flute
2. Enya
3. Sade
4. Barely Manenuff (Barry Manelow)
5. Vince Gill (whiney bitch!)
6. The Jam
7. Oasis
8. Genesis (w/o Peter Gabriel)
9. Sex Pistols
10. Any Boy Band

Just a few.....

Ron

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:58PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2011 05:58PM by heather.

Date: June 23, 2011 06:00PM

Really, really.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:59PM

The Sex Pistols, really. Is it because they were a manufactured band. Hell, Johnny only got famous, because he was hanging around outside of a sex shop.

Date: June 23, 2011 06:02PM

Not only a boy band but a faux angry boy band.

Ron

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 06:07PM

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 06:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2011 06:09PM by badseed.

Date: June 23, 2011 06:12PM

Again, not only a boy band but a faux angry boy band.

Ron

Date: June 23, 2011 06:39PM

but more of a "got no musical taste" perspective.

Just sayin.'

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:57PM

My dad was a classic rock junkie...Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac. I ended up LOVING all kinds of classic rock, and married a guy who loves it too. I am sure if I had been interested in heavy metal or rap they would have banned it, but I never was.

I am sure they would be floored if they knew I let my kids listen to Lady Gaga in the car, or even some radio censored Eminem.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 05:59PM

My siblings had it a lot harder than I did. One of my sisters is still pissed about missing a Heart concert and then when I was a senior in HS I was able to go to a Counting Crows concert.

Other than music, SNL was banned thanks to the GCGC skit.

Posted by: nobot ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 06:34PM

Date: June 23, 2011 06:09PM

they ignored what I did unless things were on fire. They banned nothing really.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 06:30PM

The first time I ever heard of Metallica was my freshman year in high school YEARS after they had been on the scene. (Of course it was because I was sheltered) I found that I actually liked them and bought the tape for the black album. I played it very quietly upstairs in my room, but the very first time my mother caught wind of it, she came up and smashed it into bits.

There was another instance with my little brother. He really wanted that stupid Chumbawamba album, so I bought it for him. She took it away and insisted that she had to listen to it first to make sure it was appropriate. After listening to it, she made me take it back because there was a song called Scapegoat, and "it's wrong to use people for scapegoats." She tried to smash his Smash Mouth album as well, but we managed to save it somehow.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 06:37PM

No conserts for me after a certain age becasue my brother and sister woudnt take me. Well my parants only let me listen to music that was from this 30 year old book that was falling appart and old when I was five and they still use that book as thair main sorce of music now for performances. My brothe tried to ban my sisters whiny music my sister tried to ban my brothers scary music and anything else I wasnt able to listen to.

Now i'm older I choose what I listen to and I really like rock and punk music.

They all have a snippy conent about anything I might try singing though everything is bad in some way and not good enough for thair littel girl to be singing.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 06:38PM

I believe it was Mick Jagger. The only moral that story ever taught me was that there was no way Mick Jagger was going to be seated in coach, which means that apostle was using tithing money to sit first class and talk to rock stars... weak.

Date: June 23, 2011 06:47PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 07:35PM

I don't believe that story for a second, but it *does* sound like something Mick would have said, purely to shock his listener. I used to occasionally say outrageous things like that in my younger days, just to enjoy the reaction. lol

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 07:10PM

My parents weren't TBM but rather Fundies (about as bad).

My mom didn't care, and my dad was clueless. So we got to listen to whatever we wanted, as long as we kept it in our bedrooms.

Posted by: Garçon ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 07:16PM

We couldn't listen to the cast recording of Jesus Christ Superstar. We also couldn't watch the Smothers' Brothers after they did a joke about Jesus.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 07:20PM

The Smother's Brothers were hilarious!!!

But they were a bit ahead of their time.

Posted by: loner_in_az ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 07:45PM

I didn't even bother trying to listen to anything that might have been banned. However, I remember getting a used CD of the score music for Dracula (no words, no pictures, just the background music) that my father promptly confiscated and broke halfway through the first song. Apparently, even the instrumental background music wasn't safe enough.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 07:56PM

Anything I wanted to listen to in the 80's. And yes, I was a metal head. Metallica the #1 for me, then there was Motley Crue, and Megadeath, and numerous others plus all the 80's hairspray bands. All of that and more my parents didn't want me listening to.

Posted by: ORDER66 ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 07:59PM

First confiscated album was Poison - Hysteria when I was 11 or 12. Next was Eazy-E and DJ Quik around age 16. That was actually a funny story (not at the time). My dad and younger brother came in to my room to lift some weights and figured they'd turn on some music. Oops. After that, I got a few lectures on music, but nothing else was ever taken.

I had a couple T-shirts get censored as well. One said Fnck you on it and the other had a naked girl. They never said anything about them, but one day I did my laundry and when I went to empty the dryer those were missing.

Posted by: testiphony ( )
Date: June 23, 2011 08:05PM

They didn't ban any music per se, honestly they were so out of touch they didn't know what constituted the devil's noise and what didn't. They sure hated everything I liked though, except Phish oddly.

What was passionately banned was incense. My dad freaked out the minute he walked in the door if he smelled it. He probably thought it had something to do with pot, whose smell he wouldn't know if he walked into a Bob Marley concert.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.