Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 09:22PM

"The success of Mormonism depresses me. I mean, we KNOW that Joseph Smith was a charlatan. Everything about him screams charlatan and yet, plenty of respectable people, including Presidential Candidates, men in suites, appear to believe it."

Then he goes on to explain why he was such a charlatan. The BoA has nothing to do with the original document.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imud8xaGkmo

He never really says why it depresses him, but I suspect it is because it is an absurd system of belief and respectable people, men in suits, believe it anyways.
It doesn't depress me because I don't care. Its supposed success is pathetic, considering 100yrs of the biggest army of CULT recruiters in the world recruiting day and night.
So much for "Rough Stone Rolling"
Until it fills the whole Earth.
Now 1/10th of 1% of the World are MORmONs. Pretty pathetic ROI when you look at big pic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 01:09AM

"100 yrs of the biggest army of CULT recruiters in the world recruiting day and night."

I never really considered that. Plus, they are backed up by all that money, money, money. Right--the Mormon cult should be doing a lot better than it is!

It is depressing to watch people get victimized--very sad--unless you hate the whole human race. I have family members who are Mormons, and I love children, so I will always be saddened and angered by this hoax that's being perpetrated against them.

Note: I didn't say that I had any Mormon friends. Shunning took care of that. But it still doesn't make me happy to see people being robbed and cheated and lied-to and abused--even when they are the very meanest to each other.

Posted by: Naked at Dawn ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 07:48AM

Richard Dawkins has negative energy.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 08:47AM

Yes the depressing part is watching people pay tithing who don't have the money to do it. Seeing really large out of place temples and church houses being built when they should have hired a real architect pay him or her the stinkin' $1000 to draw up a plan that actually compliments the landscape using materials natural to the region.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 10:34AM

I don't find the church itself depressing. What I find disturbing is a mankind that is so easily duped by agendas that are clearly provably bogus.

I can give a pass to Mormons past of the earlier centuries who had little access to fact.

On the other hand, I left without knowing the facts. Left because I knew in my gut the Mormon church was poison.

So, what is the draw the church has on the masses who belong?

Desperation to be part of a group? To be accepted? To find a group that will accept *even* you? To want to find a group that makes you feel like a winner even as it teaches you how to hide that you are not? To be made to feel valuable because you feel you are not enough?

What is the the human flaw that strengthens the draw of Mormonism and other religions of its kind?

Why do people stay in a provably false religion by turning a blind eye? You can say there are a lot of reasons, but, really, are there? Is the fault all with the old guys at the top?

Takes two to tango. It's your choice to let someone twirl and dip you. Is it just that evolution to foster survival has programmed the majority to be followers in the herd to enable the Alphas to lead with nothing but a lot of gall.

P.S. Richard Dawkins isn't actually depressed by the "success" of Mormonism is my guess. It is overstatement to make a point.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 10:36AM

The haters of Atheists still cannot tell us where Dawkins is wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2019 10:36AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 10:42AM

What I mostly like about atheism is the scheduling flexibility.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 10:43AM

Plus you get sundays off.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.