Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 01:01AM

Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 31, 2019 04:01PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 05:40PM

Aw, thanks for asking!

I had the second eye surgery on my right eye on Monday. Recovery has been faster than with the first eye. I'm still wearing a patch, because that's what I prefer. I'll take the right eye "out for a walk" over the weekend.

I had my first post-op exam the next day, Tuesday. I didn't ask for the results (I'll do that at my post op next week,) but my ophthalmologist basically told me that it's time to lose my reading glasses. I'm reading RfM right now without them. Distance vision is good, and my right eye should sharpen up over the next week or so.

There are still some (largely expected) side effects such as halos and starbursts. I am hoping that they settle down over time.

But I can see. :) Thank goodness for modern technology.

Funny story -- as I was coming up from anesthesia, I very dutifully reported on what I was seeing. I got repeated (and comforting responses,) "That's normal." That's totally what you want to hear during surgery! I swear that if I had reported seeing twenty bats flying out of a cave, the only acceptable response would have been, "That's normal." lol :D

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 06:10PM

Bats flying out of a cave is normal!

Date: October 31, 2019 06:31PM

:)

Date: October 31, 2019 07:14PM

So I am very interested (and also want to know how you are doing.)

If you either look at a computer screen or at a book for 8 to 10 hours a day, will I be able to handle the multi-focal lens? is the question. I do fine with my bi-focals.

Have the halos and starbursts with the first lens abated any? Can you still see the edges?

Thank you very much!

Date: October 31, 2019 07:50PM

The edge on the first lens is less noticeable. The doc said to give every side effect six months. The data shows that for people who get this side effect, 98% report it gone within six months.

I'm not sure that I can accurately tell you about computer screen use. Both of my eyes are still light sensitive. Books and magazines seem fine. I've reduced the brightness of my computer screen, and that helps. Before surgery, you will be fully informed that regardless of the lens you choose, you still might need glasses. They simply can't fully predict the final results.

Multifocals are more known for starburst and halos. But my sister-in-law has monofocals and she gets them as well.

I am part of an FDA/J+J study testing out next-generation multifocals. My doc told me that round one tested three different multifocals, and that the one that I got was deemed the best of the three. She gave them an enthusiastic thumbs up, and her reputation is such that I trusted her. I am in round two of a nationwide, ~300 person study which tests the chosen multifocals against monofocals.

I don't know that I can give an accurate opinion before the six months are up. But even now I would choose the multifocals again. I think it's an individual matter. They tell people that do a lot of night driving (such as long-haul truck drivers) that they might be better off with monofocals. If my lenses settle down to some degree (which they *should*,) I will be happy.

Multifocals are made by different medical device providers, and that's something that you should research on the web before you get them. Ask your eye doc why s/he went with a particular provider. You might want to consult more than one eye doc.

The one thing that you must understand is that no implanted lens will ever replicate your natural vision. There is a price to be paid. I will likely have 20/20 or better in both eyes at all distances with *great* color clarity. But I will probably have at least some starbursts and halos for the rest of my life.

In my case, I was backed into a corner. I was functionally blind in my left eye. I was in danger of not qualifying for a driver's license which I will need to renew in a few months. My right eye was still functional, but probably six months out from a similar fate. (Studies show that people with cataracts are far more likely to get into car crashes.) I was offered $7,200+ worth of surgery and implants for free. I grabbed the opportunity, and I would do the same again.

Hold off for as long as you can, and do your homework. Please let me know how things go. If you want to keep asking questions, feel free. I will try to answer them as best I can, and I'm sure that others will as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2019 07:52PM by summer.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 01, 2019 02:34PM

before. My sister just had hers done in July, so I need to ask her what lenses she got. I definitely DON'T want a line even if I have to wear glasses as I have been wearing glasses--never contacts as I have such sensitive eyes. I better get an appt soon. I need to get it done before the end of the year.

Thanks for returning and reporting, summer.

Date: November 01, 2019 05:55PM

No, multifocals are one option. Another (and cheaper) option is monofocals. For monofocals you can get either close up OR distance vision. Most people who get monofocals opt for distance vision and use reading glasses to read.

Traditionally, multifocals are more likely to give you halos and starbursts around lights. But as I said, my SIL got monofocals and still gets the starbursts/halos.

Results are individual. My neighbor got the distance monofocals and loves them. You might need glasses with any implant. You might or might not have side effects, depending. My first two days with the left eye were brutal.

My insurer would have provided full (or almost full) coverage for traditional surgery (done with a blade) and monofocal lenses. My surgeon charges extra (a lot extra) for upgrades including laser surgery, toric lenses (for significant astigmatism,) and the multifocals, which in my case came with the laser surgery.

My advice would be to hold off as long as possible and *really* do your homework. Google different manufacturers of lenses and see what people have to say about them. Ask around about people's experiences. But don't feel forced to jump into it unless you have run out of options.

It's going to sound weird, but for me, reporting on what I am experiencing to my medical providers in some respects feels like an astronaut reporting from the moon. Houston has a checklist, and will assure you that everything is within a normal range according to previous reports. But the Houston people have never been to the moon. They don't know. They can't know.

Maybe in six months I'll feel differently about it, and give an enthusiastic thumbs up. :)

Date: November 01, 2019 07:42PM

My regular ophthalmologist is a renowned corneal surgeon so I'm going to think his judgement is good on what kind to get.

Honestly, I don't know what I want - just what I don't want: Problems. Doc says "whatever you want."

Right now I'm leaning toward toric, non-multifocal. Then I give up my reading in bed without glasses. The money is important too, but not the guiding issue.

I will be working at least 5 more years, maybe more. Need my eyes.

Funny story: I was working by phone with an 87 y.o. attorney. I saw her at a meeting, and went to introduce myself afterwards. She reached out her arms - I was thinking, "Oh she wants to give me a hug." But she was just falling over and needed to steady herself.

Date: November 02, 2019 02:21AM

Your surgeon should have let you know if you need the toric lenses. Most people with astigmatism don't need them. As my eye doc said, virtually everyone has at least some astigmatism. The toric lenses are for those with significant astigmatism.

Have you heard the prohibition against bending over after surgery? That's for the toric lens implants only.

About the not wanting problems -- you pay your money and you take your chances. When you sign the papers for surgery, they give you all of the possible side effects. The tough thing is to take those side effects seriously. It's human nature to think, "It won't be me." I'm just trying to communicate that at least for me, it hasn't been a walk in the park.

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 08:34AM

Dear Summer,
I really hope you are feeling stronger each day, and any discomfort goes away quickly!
I am thinking of you today and wishing you the VERY best eyesight.
You are such a sweet person and i always look forward to your thoughtful comments and opinions. Take care.....Bill K

Date: November 02, 2019 09:25AM

Thanks, Bill!

Date: November 04, 2019 04:38AM

I'm sure you helped many people with your feedback. Will you find out which brand you received?

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 03:51PM

Hey Summer, nice to hear how you’re doing and hope that you’ll continue to improve. Forgive me if you already mentioned this, but how are you doing at school with the kids?
I can’t remember if you’re taking time off from teaching.
I can’t remember what age group you teach. If you are still teaching, are they asking any funny questions about the eye patch or other stuff? Are they going out their way to help, like reading and stuff?
The younger kids are so cute and funny , how they say and see things. I loved those old shows “ Kids say the darnest things”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 07:32PM

Always remember to dot your eyes! Too many people take the easy way out...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.