Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: abusedinldsadoption ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 08:51AM

Between the years 1980 to 1994 my sister and I were abused and placed in multiple homes and separated for many years as survivors of the Mormon adoption services. It’s still very painful to talk about. Does anyone have similar experiences, wondering if ours were an isolated incident though given that it happens in multiple homes I have a hard time believing it was.

Hope you’re safe

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 11:07AM

Prior to retirement, I worked alongside Social Services Foster Care Unit. They had assigned one worker to handle ONLY Mormon foster parents.

One mormon foster mother in Happy Valley, CA punished a boy by snipping his penis with scissors. By the time Social Services learned about it, the Statute of Limitations had run out, and they were unable to prosecute. One girl in the same home was stabbed in the thigh by them. My advice to her when she turned 18 was to lawyer-up and sue the county before her records were expunged after five years. All of this information was of course confidential. I called their bishop and said I needed to talk to him about monsters in his ward who were committing horrendous acts against children, but that it was against the law for me to do so, and I ended the conversation. Two days later, I called and asked him if these ward members (I named them, this time) were still taking foster kids. He asked me if I needed to place a minor. I said absolutely not!--just wondering. He said he understood. I asked him to confirm that he understood. He said yes. We thanked each other. At least that ended his endorsement of them.

*Confidentiality* works against minors in these cases, as does any Statute of Limitations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 01:04PM by kathleen.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 01:49AM

How are things in both of your lives now?

Posted by: warren jeffs ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 07:51AM

Orphanages have been havens for sexual abuse since they first ever came in to existence.Every church whether Catholic,Salvation Army or mormon has predators when it comes to adoption homes or orphanages.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 08:36AM

Unfortunately, we've heard a lot of horror stories about the LDS foster and adoption systems over the years. There is a reason that the church no longer sponsors adoptions.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 11:34PM

I could feel my blood pressure going through the roof.

Going through pregnancy and childbirth under "ordinary" (married) circumstances was scary enough. Going through it without any emotional support (in fact, quite the reverse) would be hellacious.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 16, 2019 09:05PM

It seems many of those kids who are wards of the state or put into foster care go through abuse.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.