Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 11:27AM

Just never...put two and two together. Adam and Eve were in Missouri, Noah built the ark and floated over to the old world, then the jaridites built submarines and came back to the new world. Am I missing something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 12:41PM

Based upon that reasoning, Noah went to the New World and the Jaredites came back to the Old World. So modern historians have their New/Old worlds mixed up.

Or so it seems to me.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 12:47PM

Old Noah was amazing. Before he left the Americas he dropped off Bison, Pronghorns and a few hundred other species even though the land was still under water. He then went to the Arctic to leave Polar Bears and then South to Antarctica to unload the Penguins. Off to Australia for the Kangaroos, Platypus etc etc. Finally made it to Mt. Ararat where any day now some expedition will find his ark.
At least those Jaredites had a straight shot when they submarined to the promised land.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 01:13PM

Olde-tyme Mormon doctrine postulated that the earth was a single land mass at the time of the flood. The division of continents occurred later, in the time of Peleg (Gen 10:25).

"The dividing of the earth was not an act of division by the inhabitants of the earth by tribes and peoples, but a breaking asunder of the continents, thus dividing the land surface and creating the Eastern Hemisphere and Western Hemisphere."

(Joseph Fielding Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 5:73–74.)

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/old-testament-student-manual-genesis-2-samuel/genesis-4-11-the-patriarchs?lang=eng

So Noah simply opened the door and all the animals ran and flew and hopped to wherever they were supposed to go. Not Magic the Gathering, more like Magic the Dispersal.

Then, despite the limited gene pool of two animals each, every species managed to repopulate the earth with no extinctions or effects of inbreeding. Great job church.

Date: November 21, 2019 03:50PM

Gosh. Thanks for clearing that up. I always thought that was one of the mysteries & I would have to wait until the next life to find the answer.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 04:09PM

Furthermore 6 people repopulated the earth.

Ham and Egyptus populated all of Africa.

Japeth and wife all of Asia

Shem and wife all of the rest.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 04:09PM

Furthermore 6 people repopulated the earth.

Ham and Egyptus populated all of Africa.

Japeth and wife all of Asia

Shem and wife all of the rest.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2019 11:23PM

So who is in charge of creating all the phony DNA test results?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 01:13PM

I'm sure the lost continent of Atlantis was part of the journey too.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 01:36PM

I just stand all amazed at how Noah managed the arthropods. There are a million species of arthropods. Like, 12,000 ant species alone and I am not going to even start on the spiders. Or the butterflies.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 02:51PM

The smaller you are relative to the perfect being (human) the faster evolution works on you because God.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 02:53PM

Ohhhhhh. I guess that explains scabies mites. I was quite hung up on how Noah toted them around.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 09:51PM

ya ~ you right OPie ~

they just kind of floated around ~

back and forth ~

for religious reasons ~

OPie is not missing something ~

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 10:10PM

And let's not forget that Cain somehow managed to tread water for the duration of the flood, because he survived long enough to be seen by modern apostles.

Spencer W. Kimball, Miracle of Forgiveness, pp. 127–28:

"On the sad character of Cain, an interesting story comes to us from Lycurgus A. Wilson’s book on the life of David W. Patten. From the book I quote an extract… 'As I was riding along the road on my mule I suddenly noticed a very strange person walking beside me… His head was about even with my shoulders as I sat in my saddle. He wore no clothing, but was covered with hair. His skin was very dark. I asked him where he dwelt and he replied that he had no home, that he was a wanderer in the earth and traveled to and fro. He said he was a very miserable creature, that he had earnestly sought death during his sojourn upon the earth, but that he could not die, and his mission was to destroy the souls of men. About the time he expressed himself thus, I rebuked him in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by virtue of the Holy Priesthood, and commanded him to go hence, and he immediately departed out of my sight…'"

But then just 8 pages later, Kimball wrote that only eight people survived the flood, Cain not among them.

Spencer W. Kimball, Miracle of Forgiveness, p. 136:

"…but only eight, Noah and sons and their four wives, were preserved later through the great flood, all others being drowned…"

Which is it, Spencer, you little twerp?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 10:18PM

Wasn’t Ham’s wife Egyptus black? She settled Egypt. Which is dumber than wooden submarines, but that never stopped a TBM.

Date: November 22, 2019 11:40AM

Cain was a stowaway pretending to be a gorilla. Noah was old so his sight and hearing weren't really all there. The gorillas were happy. Male gorillas have extremely small penises in comparison to their size. The mother of all modern gorillas was happy raising Cain in the ark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2019 11:40AM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 10:53PM

The story of Noah seems to have a lot of scientific evidence. I look up at where I live and can see that at one time the water level was 1000 feet higher, so there use to be more water on this planet at some point. Also there are many sunken cities in the Persian gulf. They are 200 feet below sea level. It looks like at one time the ocean mass was smaller. There use to be less water, and now we have more magically.

The flood story fits very nicely with the physical evidence.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 21, 2019 11:00PM

You would really like Graham Hancock.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: November 23, 2019 12:39AM

And Brien Foerster.

Posted by: good grief ( )
Date: November 22, 2019 12:07AM

"I look up at where I live and can see that at one time the water level was 1000 feet higher, so there use to be more water on this planet at some point… It looks like at one time the ocean mass was smaller. There use to be less water, and now we have more magically."

What a difference 500 million years makes. It's almost like ice ages come and go.

----------

"Also there are many sunken cities in the Persian gulf. They are 200 feet below sea level."

Way before any so-called flood.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40605372/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/lost-civilization-may-have-been-beneath-persian-gulf/

"Veiled beneath the Persian Gulf, a once-fertile landmass may have supported some of the earliest humans outside Africa some 75,000 to 100,000 years ago, a new review of research suggests."

----------

"The flood story fits very nicely with the physical evidence."

No. No, it doesn't.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 22, 2019 11:31AM

What might you have learned if you took your education seriously.

The mind boggles.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2019 12:00PM

"Never doubt the power of assumption."

"Let he who is without knowledge make the first assumption."

"I assume, therefore who knows?"

--Judic West, from his biography of Kim Kardashian, "What an Ass!"

Date: November 22, 2019 12:06PM

What if I assume the throne of Mary in heaven without proof of my virginity?

Date: November 22, 2019 12:08PM

There are good asses, which are readily apparent.

There are bad asses, which are those who refuse to learn enough to question their own assumptions.

Then there is Kim Kardashian.

--Judy Quest, from her NYT bestseller, "Aphorisms for Asses"

Date: November 22, 2019 06:40PM

When all the snow melted the white color disappeared magically.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 22, 2019 11:09PM

So let's see if I have this right: you think that the fact that the surface of Great Salt Lake is at 4,200 feet means that the entire world was covered in water to 4,200 feet, because you can't think of another way water would get up to this altitude?

And you think that when GSL was a thousand feet deeper than it is now, that the entire world was covered to a depth of 5,300 feet?

Actual data: at the height of the last ice age, the ocean was about 300 feet lower than it is today. It was stacked up as ice in the northern latitudes and Antarctica. If all the remaining ice were to melt, the oceans would rise about another 230 feet. That wouldn't cover the whole earth, but Miami would be pretty damp.

BTW, Hudson Bay is still rebounding from being pushed down under all that ice. I don't know how much it has come back up, but I do know that the Salt Lake Valley has rebounded 45 feet since Lake Bonneville dried up. The lake shoreline, still obvious in parts of the valley, is 45 feet higher than the visible shoreline at the shallow end of Lake Bonneville down at St George. I was surprised that the weight of a thousand feet of water could actually lower the surface of the earth under it.

Date: November 22, 2019 11:54PM

> I do know that the
> Salt Lake Valley has rebounded 45 feet since Lake
> Bonneville dried up.

And yet you don't believe in the City of Enoch. . .

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: November 23, 2019 12:38AM

Posted by: cumb mormons ( )
Date: November 22, 2019 04:55PM

Yep, in all this none of them seem to be able to explain Australia, its animals and its inhabitants.

Date: November 22, 2019 04:56PM

Limited Geography Theory.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: November 22, 2019 06:11PM

And also why there is a town in Australia called Ararat, but no adjacent mountain

Date: November 22, 2019 06:44PM

Reminds me of a song I once knew.

"Here a rat, 'ere-a-rat. . ."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.