Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 11:38AM

In the Opinion section of The Salt Lake Tribune this morning, a fellow Utah resident had written about how the air quality has gotten so bad; especially in the Salt Lake Valley, and despite that, the mostly mormon legislators are pushing for the inland port. Despite protests against it, legislators are going to get their way because it promises to be lucrative.

The writer then asks the question: "How can commerce be more important than human lives?"

The answer goes back to the territory days of Brigham Young and the MMM. The Fancher-Baker party carried with them $50,000,and herds of cattle and horses. BY got wind of it, being the commerce-loving man that he was, and had them "used up".

Yes, to this day, commerce is more important than human lives; especially to mormon leaders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 02:24PM

You're right. I'm no tree hugger, but I want our planet to be clean. 2 weeks ago, there was an article in the Trib about the fact that over 500 oil and gas wells are out of compliance, releasing major pollutants, and have been for decades. Utah's DAQ (air quality) are supposed to enforce pollution laws. They hadn't fined any polluting energy company since 1995. Utah is 65% mormon (practicing is another story) but our Legislature is 89% LDS. They take big bucks from big energy companies to look the other way. The DAQ has been severely under funded and under led for decades. By design. Even when we have 1 Billion dollar budget surpluses, their budget gets cut. It's Utah mormon greedy bastards selling our health to the highest bidders. There's nothing that LDS Inc. touches that makes anything better.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 04:21PM

OUT OF CONTROL

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 05:01PM

At the Second Coming, Thanos/Jesus is going to snap his fingers and pollution will be cut half.

Problem solved. Don't worry, be happy!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: December 07, 2019 05:39PM

I don't know what the answer is. Because Utahns usually want small government, and unrestricted regulations. They usually vote down any measure that may increase taxes, especially gas taxes. It gets air time on the radio, certain activists think people will drive less if they are taxed more, like commuting to work is going to magically end?

I see smog from a variety of sources where I live, there are farms everywhere and they burn their trash every year. Lots of smelly gunk into the atmosphere. Then there is all the camping that goes on I've been up in the mountains where there are hundreds of families everywhere, camping and everyone has to have a camp fire and it does affect the atmosphere, and create smog even up in the wilderness. Then there are my relatives and neighbors who are too cheep to buy natural gas and instead burn everyday to heat the house. And don't forget all the SUVs on the highway.

But the earth is big, it can take it and clean itself up, even if it gives us asthma, I don't worry about pollution much. The earth won't end in 12 years.

Posted by: manymore ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 09:54PM

Just like in the SL Trib- Mormons talking about their lds mall: City Creep.

Says commerce, like ZCMI, is the moron way. Profits more important than people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.