Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elove ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 10:47AM

On the occasion of my two-week-aversary on the board let me say thanks, give an update, and ask a question.

So thanks for your support, everyone.

RECAP. I’m a divorced nevermo and my ex secretly converted a year ago. I have joint custody of 2 daughters and the eldest just turned 8. My attorneys have drafted a letter to her Bishop, Stake President, and the SLC Membership office asserting my joint custody rights and prohibiting baptism or personal interviews. The letters have not yet been delivered.

UPDATE. The ex has agreed to a mediated sit down discussion of this issue at my request. I basically sent her a letter explaining she is in contempt of court and needs to sit down with me and discuss this children’s religious upbringing. This meeting is to happen next week.

In her letter accepting the meeting, she stated that the kids had not been baptized Mormon. I replied asking that she not change that status prior to our meeting.

So replied that no baptisms were scheduled.

So QUESTION: Do Mormons always “schedule” baptisms? Any chance the would do an “unscheduled” one? Perhaps spontaneously when called by the spirit or something? I seem to recall being in a church one time, visiting, where there was a part where they called people to come down and receive the spirit and went on for an UNCOMFORTABLY long time waiting to see if anyone would come. There were several of us there visiting and it was really clear they were staring at us to see if any of us would come down.

Do the Mormons do anything like that? Any kind of “unscheduled” baptisms of 8 year olds? I should hope not, but I am consistently agog at the practices of this sect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 11:05AM

I've never heard of an unscheduled baptism for anyone. They can be quickly scheduled, but not spontaneous.

I'm glad it hasn't happened. Hopefully it won't. Lots of Mormon kids get out around 18. If you can put things off until 18 the chances are must less that it will happen at all.

Good luck to you.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 02:13PM

Maybe we should note here that most organized religions will do that which they think they get away with.
Regardless of the consequences unless the "church" could be forced to totally erase this proposed act of baptism from their records it becomes moot as to whether or not it is performed.
The act, once taken, can not be changed. It can be negated but once it happens it happens!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 02:14PM by thedesertrat1.

Date: December 08, 2019 03:04PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe we should note here that most organized
> religions will do that which they think they get
> away with.
> Regardless of the consequences unless the
> "church" could be forced to totally erase this
> proposed act of baptism from their records it
> becomes moot as to whether or not it is
> performed.
> The act, once taken, can not be changed. It can
> be negated but once it happens it happens!

Oh I know. And Mormons in particular are quite reknowned for putting “god’s law” about “man’s law” and doing whatever they want.

I’ve also been informed that Mormons basically make it their business to baptize everyone they can ever find evidence of, and if you wont do it while you’re alive they will do it for you (to you?) after you’re dead. So eventually, we will all be baptized Mormons. That is our fate.

However I still prefer that my kids be baptized after death, or at least after the age of majority, just if nothing else so they can’t be used in those proxy baptisms for the dead.

That is just sooooo creepy. And beyond arrogant.

I’m pretty sure that if Islam started going that, claiming they have the only true path to salvation and were going to do some ceremony to EVERYONE WHO EVER LIVED that made them posthumously Muslims so they could get into the “real heaven” that we would go to war in like 15 minutes. I mean we would literally scramble the bombers.

No one would sit still for such an audacious and disgusting concept if it were coming from another country or a “non-Christian”* religion.

*I know a lot of people consider Mormons not to be Christian. I am pretty much one of them. I don’t see very much if anything of the Jesus of the regular bible in their religion.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 03:41PM

perhaps back in the day of baseball baptisms, Back in the 1950s the missionaries would organize baseball teams in England. But to be part of the group they had to be kiddie dunked first. This was the era of massive mormon growth, when misshies were coerced to baptise anything with a pulse. When I was a missionary in early 2000s in the South we had a ward roster of 700 people all from the 1960ish era, many didn't even know they were members. There was no way to chop it down either.

But after the debacle of the 50s and the retirement of Elder Moyles, of the 1st presidency, I haven't heard of this kind of thing going on.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 04:17PM

Then hear about this one, in Japan, circa 1979 - 1982:

https://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon555.htm

There's also mention of England Manchester Mission, mid 90's

The cited thread is kinda just scratching the surface. There are numerous other accounts from different missions floating on the internet tide.

Date: December 08, 2019 05:35PM

That is horrifyingly fascinating. I wasn’t even talking about baptisms of the living... I am still at the point of being appalled by baptizing the dead en mass.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 07:05PM

Well, dead-dunking is not en masse. It’s one name, one dunk. It’s kids between the ages of 11 and 17, going to the temple on a weekend. They change into white clothing and then one-by-one they step into the font where each kid assumes the position (which involves the crucial, ghawd-given instruction to keep the fingers of one hand free so they can pinch the nostrils shut as they get tipped backwards. And the ‘pro’ baptizers know to put a foot on fore-steps of the dunkee to make sure he or she does not kick one foot out of the water.

Each kids gets dunked a number of times for each foray into the font and all the guys like to watch for some girl who didn’t wear a bra! Praise Jesus!

And the odds are, although I have not ever heard it confirmed, some ancestor gets dead-dunked multiple times and temples all over the world. And for sure, the temple ordinances are done multiple times for the dear departed.

Probably the best story on this issue is Wilford Woodruff’s dream. He said that the American Revolutionary patriots all came to him in a dream when he was down in St. George, just after that temple opened. They demanded that he have their temple work done for them. So he did! But there work had already been done, at a previous temple or two, as well as the Endowment House in SLC.

Silly Rabbits!

Date: December 08, 2019 07:33PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, dead-dunking is not en masse.

> Each kids gets dunked a number of times for each
> foray into the font...

That’s my definition of en masse. And that’s what I wish to protect my kids from. Having to go in, put on the outfit, and get shoved under water 20 times in some weirdo occult ritual for dead people who never even had a chance to consent to it.

Well I guess unless they come to someone in a dream. That’s hysterical.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 11:17PM

"going to the temple on a weekend" ... I always did it on a weekday thereby missing some school in the morning.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 07:26PM

It’s never the Mormons’ fault that you are offended. They are doing God’s work, so get over it. Your dead ancestors don’t care if you’re pissed. You should join the Mormons. Then you can be right all the time. Or stay a teenager. Too late for that?

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 03:46AM

admittedly happened 63 years ago, but as I understand it, my husband age 8, with a non-member father and DNA non-practicing mormon mother were visiting relatives in SLC when one of the aunties asked if he were 8--yes he was---so they said, "You need to be baptized," and he was, along with several other children that day.

Date: December 19, 2019 07:39AM

So sad. =(

I am committed to doing what I can to prevent their baptisms, but the folks here have helped me make my peace that I can’t REALLY prevent it. If the Mormons can find your name, they will baptize you. If you don’t consent to it while you’re a live they’ll do it when you’re dead.

It’s all so sick.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 11:34AM

Does the church count the dead-baptized in their membership rolls?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.