Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 12:49PM

My daughters know better than to expect much from me with regards to their missions and Mormonism. But they all asked me to do something for them for Christmas. So three promises for three missionaries. That damned commitment pattern.

What were their three Christmas wishes?

Feed the missionaries (we never have in their lives.)

Watch "Light the World."

Watch their Christmas Devotional.

So feeding the missionaries was okay. Got some Papa Murhpy's pizza and Christmas cookies. They loved them so much we gave them the leftovers. The most awkward part for me was one missionary staring at me too long. You know you see them looking and make eye contact and they don't avert their eyes. It was unnerving but I just chalked it up to my long hair. He didn't do it to my wife so I assume it was that. And they found out they were invited to a baptism after they got to our house (late though they called us about it) so they basically ate and ran - no sharing thank god.

Light the World was interesting in the fact that Mormon Jesus was born with dark hair and eyes to somewhat non-whitish Mary and Joe. Not much talking and when they did it was in I think Hebrew so it wasn't the worst 17 minutes I've spent in front of a screen. Not the best either. I wouldn't have watched it because it was suppose to be wonderful and marvelous.

Their Christmas Devotional was by far the worst hour I slept 30 minutes through. It was like General Conference with Christmas stories. The General Primary President kinda scared me. She looked like an automaton in her presentation and showed so much teeth I felt like I was being consumed. The British accent guy wasn't terrible until he brought up the Nelson and the temple. Then I zoned him out.

After I fell asleep during Oak's talk I woke up and noticed something interesting. IT was a SUPER awkward after devo FP wandering around their stage moment. I could easily tell Eyring was their odd man out. Oaks and Nelson walked around like an elderly couple with Nelson leaning on Oaks with his arm around Oaks' arm. At one point Nelson tries to include Eyring but it is a fail. Then as their handlers are patiently waiting for the rock stars to de-stage Oaks give MoTab a couple of thumbs up and then Nelson follows suit.

Those precious moments represent the tender mercies of that viewing experience.

And it was my eldest who asked for the FP devo. But she comes home very soon!!!! I'm so pumped!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 01:22PM

You are a good sport. A very good sport indeed!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 01:26PM

> The most awkward part for me
> was one missionary staring at
> me too long. You know you see
> them looking and make eye
> contact and they don't avert
> their eyes. It was unnerving
> but I just chalked it up to
> my long hair.

Where do you get your scrunchies and what's your favorite color?

Do you ever use bobby pins?

I gotz ta know!

Date: December 09, 2019 01:34PM

I'm open to suggestions. It is almost pony tail-able. Not quite. It would look like a premature pony.

Also, I 've promised many people no man bunning.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 01:43PM

Bangs or no bangs?

Date: December 09, 2019 01:44PM

She bangs me no.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 08:31PM

Thanks about the no man bun thing :)

Posted by: 12345 ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 08:46PM

You fulfilled your Christmas promises to them.

Now, shouldn't they fulfill some Christmas promises to you?

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 10, 2019 01:11AM

I thought the same thing as 12345.

Mormonism is so one-sided.

YOU are the one paying for their mission, YOU raised them, YOU have not resigned from the cult. YOU allowed them to do something completely against your good judgment. Why is it that you need to promise them anything else?

The cult never gives back, either. You gave them the best years of your own precious daughters' lives, and they give you--that crappy "devotional" and a bad fairy-tale movie?

You're already paying for your daughters' missions, so YOU must promise to feed more missionaries. That doesn't make sense, either.

Make some promises to yourself, or to your employer, or your wife, or someone in need. It's someone else's turn, now.

Or, you and your wife go out and do three FUN things for Christmas.

Date: December 10, 2019 10:52AM

exminion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Make some promises to yourself, or to your
> employer, or your wife, or someone in need. It's
> someone else's turn, now.
>
> Or, you and your wife go out and do three FUN
> things for Christmas.

You and 12345 are absolutely right in my opinion. I decide to stay with my wife and in that compromise compromised myself. Children take and take some more.

I've spoke to the two younger and they are disappointed that the missionary feeding and the Mormon programing didn't produce some miraculous change of my hard heart. I was what I am always to them - honest about how I feel about their church.

And they think my wife and I have gone crazy. I hope they don't think I'm unduly influencing their mother. My wife and I have had many conversations about our empty nest situation. I told her that I'm going to do what I want and as best I can accommodate her but we might live separate lives in the future.

I like to be active outside, Eat a less traditional American diet, meditate, yoga, grow my hair out, try new things out etc.

We have take a few trips to darkest Arkansas and other places near Joe's New Jerusalem where we live. We bought new furniture for under $1000 that I like (and she said she did as well) that is unconventional and great for mediation. We ditched a bunch of traditional furniture donating it. It was almost 20 years old. Life is a lot different for us than when they were with us. They may not like it but haven't chided us much yet.

When they get back and my eldest will soon they will all go to Brigham's Zion to finish their schooling and we will still be empty nested and paying. I imagine life will be similar except they will be doing something I wholeheartedly want for them instead of doing what they think their lord wants.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 09:09AM

Doing something good for someone else can have benefits. Not sure why anyone would think that listening and watching the drone of Mormonism would change anyone.

Date: December 11, 2019 11:11AM

Unfortunately my kids talk a lot about miracles. In listening to them you would think that they have some sort of connection to the divine in their "work."

So, I supposed they were looking in my direction and knew that anything they say won't work a miracle. Their church's reps, Christmas video, and Christmas devo were all the ammo they had to shoot my heart with their miracle working.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: December 15, 2019 08:31AM

Why can't you just say, "Sure honey, but it's a two -way street." In the interest of fairness and justice. If you ask for something, so can I, as Exminion said.

Lots of Mormons, and kids especially don't get this. They think that they can get away with making demands simply because of blood relations.

Date: December 16, 2019 10:36AM

You got it. For some reason my lack of belief creates a vacuum and Mormonism loves a vacuum.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 15, 2019 07:50PM

Yay ! No man bun !

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: December 25, 2019 10:04PM

Hey! I like man buns! My Hot Man had long hair when I met him. He had a very long ponytail as time went on. He would even comb his hair up to the top o' his head and tie it with a scrunchie. His long hair would then cascade out and down which he referred to it as a fountain. Eventually, he got tired if caring for it and now wears a conventional haircut. But, he never wore it in a man bun! It woulda looked really good.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2019 10:05PM by desertwoman.

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: December 25, 2019 11:06PM

It’s always interesting to observe what missionaries expect. I was so dedicated as a missionary that I would have firmly believed that your heart would change in a very specific way. I thought my direct line to the Holy Ghost made me special. I wonder what yours think right now.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 26, 2019 02:24PM

I didn’t know that Light The World was a thing you watch. I thought it was just a frame they put on their Facebook profile and some list of things they are supposed to do every day in December or something. What is the 17 min thing you had to watch?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 10:14AM

going and visiting the elderly in a nursing home. Working in a soup kitchen for a meal. Even visiting the widows or single mothers in the region of the ward including those who aren't mormon and are mormon.

Then they are doing a real service.

My daughter was always waiting for a "sign" that I was getting her message. After about a year or so, she blew up at me and told me I wasn't coming around, that I wasn't learning. I let her have it.

Your daughters I'm sure are always watching and waiting to see that spark. My daughter has given up. I'm just a lost cause. That's okay. We get along better now.

My daughter has disrespected me plenty of times (as has my son who is not a TBM like just recently).

I think the very idea that you have been financing their missions should be a HUGE THING to them, but they seem to take it for granted. Has anyone pointed this out to them? They NEED to know. Their mother should tell them as it will just cause issues between you and them given your mormonism status. It will come from their mother better. I think she should REMIND THEM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.