Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 02:03AM

Why am I a thread killer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 04:33AM

Just so you don't kill your own thread, Bethie.

;-)

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 09:37AM

I think many of us feel the same way, seems some of my posts is the one that kills the discussion.

Or people read my post and decide what I have to say is so stupid they don't want to be part of the stupidity by continuing the posts.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 15, 2019 04:40AM

Or you've said everything intelligent there is to say about the subject, making any reply pointless ;-)

I've not noticed you particularly killing threads, nor Beth, but I think it happens to all regular posters now and then. It certainly does to me. Part of it may be the time when you post. As I'm in Eruope, I usually post when Americans are fast asleep. Sometimes the thread will be picked up by them in the morning, sometimes it gets forgotten in the morning rush of American comments.

So it goes ;-)

Date: December 15, 2019 01:28PM

> I've not noticed you particularly killing threads,
> nor Beth. . .

I, for one, am glad that tumwater has not killed Beth.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 15, 2019 02:08PM

I totally agree and own my ambiguity ;-)

I wondered who would notice that (it can of course be read both ways ;-)

I should have known it would be you, LW :-D

Have a great Sunday (of which more remains for you than me ;-)

Tom in Paris

Date: December 15, 2019 02:10PM

You too, my friend, and a happy holiday!

Date: December 15, 2019 05:49PM

I could never do any harm to Beth, she gave me a

heh :) (n/t)

a couple of weeks ago.

Date: December 16, 2019 12:14AM

Date: December 17, 2019 01:34AM

OMG, I got a second heh:) from Beth, does this mean we are going steady?

Date: December 19, 2019 01:26AM

Date: December 16, 2019 12:24AM

I have no beefs with anyone here. There are people I disagree with a lot, but not always; there are people I agree with a lot, but not always.

Life is so short. So short.

We come from different places emotionally, geographically, we're unique but also united. Dare I say we have different generations here (ahem), and different genders, sexual preferences, and at the end of the day what matters most is that we are people just trying to do the best we can.

We're just people. And we try. And we fail. And we succeed.

We're just people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 12:52AM by Beth.

Date: December 16, 2019 01:53AM

Just teasing Tom in Paris about his grammatical ambiguity, dear Beth!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 01:54AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: December 16, 2019 01:48PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 09:42AM

I have lost count on the number of threads I have killed.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 09:43AM

PostMormon had a member whose screen name was Thread Killer.

Was that any of you heathens?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 01:51PM

IN ~

on Beth thred ~

Date: December 14, 2019 02:08PM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 02:59PM

Elderolddog is a wise sage. Exmo's from across the planet seek his advice and want to hear the words of his mouth.

Date: December 14, 2019 03:03PM

What's your golf handicap? Asking for a friend.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 03:24PM

If a person can golf instead of going to church on Sunday I'm willing to learn.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 10:54PM

The few, the proud, the thread killers.

It's a gift.

Posted by: Chesty Puller ( )
Date: December 14, 2019 11:04PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 15, 2019 08:00AM

Silent but deadly, like an elevator fart.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 15, 2019 02:08PM

Wow! Beth, thanks for bringing this up! This happens to me ALL the time. I respond to a fun sounding post, and want to see how it’s doing, and I see that I’m the last on it, and no responses after mine. It kind of makes you feel guilty because you wonder if you weren’t on it , people would still be posting back and forth.

Date: December 16, 2019 12:18AM

It's like, "Did I misunderstand the thread and my comment wasn't germane?" Or, "Did I piss someone off?" <-- I'm trying to be better at not doing it.

I was SO ANGRY when I came here. So, so angry. I still get angry, but I've received so much support here that I've been able to put things in better perspective. Most of the time. And I'm a nevermo! I feel loved and accepted, and this board has done *wonders* for my recovery from Mom's Holler Roller Church Tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 12:53AM by Beth.

Date: December 17, 2019 11:01PM

Holy Rollers, are those the poisonous snake handlers? Some people are so demented. What normal person would even think of handling any large snake, especially poisonous

Date: December 18, 2019 09:22PM

Holy Rollers are folks who go to churches where people are filled with the holy spirit and start dancing in the aisles, speaking in tongues, stuff like that.

My mother never did any of that. She would sit silently with tears streaming down her face. I think she was missing her grandmother who raised her. I think church was where she felt closest to her grandmother.

The main church we went to was a Black Baptist Church. The pastor's son was gay. It was an open secret, and no one cared. The pastor never gave a homophobic sermon. His sermons and the things we did as a church were more about social justice - it was the 70s. If a Baptist church could be considered liberal, we went to a liberal church.

THEN Mom started dragging us alllllll over the place to increasingly more conservative fire and brimstone churches.

She still hasn't found what she was looking for, but now she seems alright with saying that she doesn't like church and prefers to have a private morning devotional. Cool.

Okay, so back to "Getting Happy." I have no idea what sets off this mass hysteria (because that sure as shit is what it is), but once one person starts jumping over the pews <-- rare, but it happens, the usual suspects start getting happy to and people fall out and others catch them and ugh.

There was a girl about my age who *always* fell out and up would fly her skirt, and I was like, "How is this of God?"

Ick

Date: December 18, 2019 10:51PM

Beth, that description sounds like the church that the Blues Brothers visited in their movie. That was a very hopping church. I love that movie. I know most of the script by heart. “ Illinois Nazis, I hate Illinois Nazis”, etc

Date: December 19, 2019 01:29AM

The organist being the pastor’s son, egging people on playing faster and faster.

He was pretty awesome.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 02:34AM

First, don't worry about thread killing. If you post enough, you end up as the last post by random chance. Half the people here think they are thread killers. Taint so.

As for love and support here, that works both ways. You tend to drift in and out here, when you have other fish to fry, or stomp on, or whatever. When you drift back, there is a frisson of excitement among the old timers. We don't know what you are going to toss out there, but we know it is going to be good. This round we've heard about ducks, a detailed exposition on billable hours in law offices, and a primer on military recruiters. There are probably newbies thinking Navy? Lawyer? Ducks? WTF? It's fun just envisioning the heads exploding.

You often hit the perfect tone in a response in six words or less. You don't write at all like a Mormon. In fact, you write with an exuberance and clarity that most adults have trained out of them. You write like the world's smartest four year old. :)

That's a good thing. Wine Country Girl had a talent for it too. Most of the rest of us are just plain old adults. [ETA I can think of several exceptions, but will refrain from making a list!] It's kind of fun watching someone come in with the verbal glue gun and glitter.

And now that I've embarrassed you, I've probably killed the thread. :-P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 02:37AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: December 16, 2019 02:41AM

Not at all. I'll kill it.

But only after saying that Beth is the bomb. A brilliant, hip, generous woman who is also a great mother and tough as nails. The world needs more like her.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 03:46PM

You are just a fate running with scissors. It is your density and propensity to fall.

I blame gravity.

Better than being a thread shredder like someone from up North.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 03:46PM

North, Northeast or Northwest?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 03:48PM

Out and about those parts.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 11:41PM

Perhaps somebody with lots of time could scroll the last several pages of threads and see who posted last on each when it was closed by admins, or left inactive for, say, a week.

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 11:24PM

. . . which is why I mostly lurk. At times, I will write out a comment, read it, then realize that it's not important enough to post and erase it.

Date: December 22, 2019 12:34AM

Date: December 22, 2019 12:50AM

I would love to read what you have to say. When you feel like it. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.