Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: December 15, 2019 04:47PM

It seems that I have been hit by a barrage of text messages from my friends who are currently attending church. Not mormon church but evangelical christian church. My wife added that she gets a lot of texts from her friends when they attend church.

Since I haven't been to a church in years I'm wondering if the culture of church attendance has been altered to allow people to text while attending services?

The last time I went to a mormon sacrament meeting was 12 years ago and I did notice how people had their cell phones "hidden" in open hymn books so they could look at texts while pretending to read mormon-approved material. Now I wonder if that has ramped-up over the last few years...?

Anyone care to comment about their more resent church meeting experiences? What does this say about the benefits of going to church? Has texting become more important than listening to sermons?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 01:03PM

Last week, I went to a family wedding ceremony at a baptist church. Overall, it was very pleasant. People dressed as they wanted, plenty of women in formal slacks. Some men were in jeans with vests. My wife asked the pastor if it was okay for her to record the ceremony and the only stipulation was that she could do so as long as she remain seated.

Just before the ceremony started, the pastor asked everybody to kindly turn their phones on silent/vibrate. Everybody complied so the service went uninterrupted. I looked around throughout the service and didn't see anyone looking down on their phones.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 04:03AM

Last I went to church was before smart phones. But the tech types had the hymns on their phones or palm pilots. Don't remember which now. I found that odd at the time that they would rather hold their phones, instead of the book.

I'm curious what things look like there now with smart phones and people addicted to them. I know my university students can't get through an hour and a half of class without looking at their notifications.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 10:52AM

going to sleep at night last night. I told my nonmo boyfriend I should tell my daughter about it and he said, "But they aren't mormons." It seems to me that they have scriptures for your phones, don't they? LDS scriptures? I think they use phones at the lds church, but I think they are told not to use the internet. I could be wrong. I don't plan on going to find out.

SecularPriest might know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.