Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elove ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 03:58PM

Hello everyone. Recap, then a question.

Recap.

I'm a neverMO, ex was a golden contact convert, hid her conversion for a year. When I found out I took legal action to prevent the baptism of my daughters 4 and 8. We have joint custody.

Question.

They are getting ready to travel for the holidays. Do Mormons look up the local ward when they get where they are going and just "pop in" for services when out of town? Is that a thing?

Drives me nuts since they have their lay clergy and the perfect set up for child abuse... Since the website will tell them what meetinghouse to go to by what address they type in god knows where they could end up or who might be running it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 04:53PM

My parents never did thank whomever, so I never did. My "husband's" family did, but I refused once we got married.

Some do and some don't. My daughter does. I took my kids out of the church around age 10 or I went inactive around age 8. I wasn't sure I didn't believe until years later and I sent them to seminary. My daughter continued to go, but still didn't like mormonism and hated it after high school and into her early 20s and THEN she went back because a guy she liked said he wanted a wife who had a testimony. Didn't matter that he had one child with my daughter's friend (they weren't friends when her friend was dating the guy) who was put up for adoption. He had been married and had 2 kids and then divorced, and then my daughter was supopsed to have a testimony. Well, that didn't pan out, but my daughter's mormonism continues to this day. She is 34.

She goes to church when she isn't at her home ward. I didn't teach her that!!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 06:00PM

Going from memory, she doesn't have a steady mormon beau, so it would just be her and the kids.

If that's true, I'd say it is not likely that she'll make the effort to find a ward to attend.

Mormons are heavy-duty virtue signalers. But in her case, showing up as the only adult with the kids, it means that she is NOT signaling virtue. She is signaling that she doesn't have a ride to the Celestial Kingdom! That's not good!

In her home ward, she is riding on the crest of her "I found the true religion and I've started my eternal progress!" wave. Everyone is applauding her. But she carries none of that with her at a strange ward.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 06:11PM

Forgive me, here goes:

For whatever reason, she's in the LDS fold--without a worthy priesthood holder. So she's searching for one. If she's checked out her home ward, and doesn't have a good prospect, a road trip touring other wards, checking out other prospects. We know that LDS courtships can be lightning fast. What if some unholy spirit zaps her, "this is the one!" There just might be some lonely priesthood holder whose wife found RfM and looking for the next Ms. Right.

Hope that doesn't happen. Ask your daughters if they went to church while on vacation, and see what you find out.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 07:59AM

OTOH, the competition is intense due to the high women to men ratio. If she’s not stacked, I wouldn’t worry.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 09:24PM

Stacked? Really? C'mon!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 06:29PM

Some do and some don't. A bishop is highly unlikely to pull LDS visitors into his office while they are attending a service at his ward. I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted by: elove ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 07:46AM

Thanks for the input, everyone. I appreciate it.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 09:13AM

In my family it was hit or miss--mostly miss when we were on vacation.

We went to church at the ward in California during vacation, but other than that I don't remember visiting wards on vacation unless it was a family visit.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 11:11PM

We always had to go when on vacation. It sucked. An easy way to ask might be to ask the girls if they packed their church clothes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.