Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Penelope ( )
Date: December 20, 2019 04:43AM

I was born and raised in the Mormon church. At 51 years old I no longer have any communication with any of my family. Some of them left the church but they joined other religions that are even worse than the church. I am a true blue believer in free thinking. I am alone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Penelope ( )
Date: December 20, 2019 04:51AM

Also I have a transgender son that types 140 words per minute and is a manager. My daughter is an assistant manager and my son is a foreman of a local growing company. It's not like I'm a loser or couldn't ever pay tithing...together we make like 100 dollars an hour. It is still hard to live.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 20, 2019 11:09AM

Penelope Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was born and raised in the Mormon church. At 51
> years old I no longer have any communication with
> any of my family. Some of them left the church but
> they joined other religions that are even worse
> than the church. I am a true blue believer in free
> thinking. I am alone.

Wow this resonates with me. I'm around your age. I have communication with my dysfunctional family but it is seldom enough that I'm not triggered too much. Time has not healed but mellowed a lot of bad stuff. Life in the sunset of my parent's lives is much better. The older they get the better.

I'm a believer with you. You are not alone.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 20, 2019 11:50AM

My family might as well be from a different planet. I’m not sure Mormonism was the problem, but I think it made it a lot worse. Maybe Mormonism is a symptom of a deeper problem. Normal people don’t become Mormon unless they were made abnormal by being raised in it.

Humans aren’t naturally rational. It takes more effort than most people are willing to put forth to actually think rationally. There’s a continuous unlearning process. Who wants to do that?

Maybe you should try some meetups. Make new friends.

Posted by: june ( )
Date: December 20, 2019 12:35PM

It is very difficult to feel alone in the world. I also think that it is hard to make new friends who can understand what you are going through. I'm glad this board is here for you to communicate with others who can relate with your experiences.

I was never Mormon. My husband has very little communication with his family, and when he does, it goes very badly. We keep it a secret that his family is Mormon because people just don't understand. Even our closest friends don't know. This is a very hard time of year because everyone is asking us what we are doing for the holidays.

UNSOLICITED ADVICE -- Please don't read on if you just wanted support for your feelings and not suggestions.
Sometimes being in a group actually made me feel more alone. But, in the past, when I felt alone -- for reasons unrelated to Mormonism -- I joined groups that focused on one of my hobbies. This let me meet people with similar interests without a focus on dating. I love to dance, so I joined a cultural dance group. I joined a knitting group, which turned out to have a lot of activist feminist women in it. I joined a program where people volunteered to distribute food packages. I had a friend who would volunteer at language circles because she liked to meet people from other countries.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.