Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: December 20, 2019 07:42PM

Curious about how much money has been given by the Saints-turned-Heathens on this board.

How about keeping this post up for one week or 50 posts, whichever comes first and get a total of RFM's poster's share of that $100 Billion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: December 20, 2019 10:23PM

Up until I got married, I pretty much didn't pay diddly squat in tithings. I was married in 1972, and totally walked away from mormonosity in 2011. I reckon I paid an average of $3000 each of those 39 years. That would be somewhere in the neighborhoodlyness of $117,000.00. Add in some fast offerings, scouting drive, and other random fundies, and I'd guess it to be around $118,000.00.

I don't know how many zeros are in 100 billion, but I figger that I donated a few of those zeros.

Posted by: Honey ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 08:24AM

They are pretty big on record keeping. Will they be required to mail out a printed copy of all tithing paid by both current and former members?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 10:49AM

I was wondering if those records could be subpoenaed.

But, I suspect an angel took them back to Heaven.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 09:46AM

I tried to calculate how much tithing and other donations were given to TSCC during the time we were devout members. I also counted the amount we paid to have two sons on missions. Let me say that I could pay off my mortgage and have enough left over to buy a new luxury automobile. I want it back!

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 09:57AM

As gemini said,if I were to count the costs over the years of tithing, fast offerings,flags put up by the scouts, magazines, and YW camps, it would total to the amount of a nice new Ferrari.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 11:40AM

I have moved beyond the money issue. I am still hung up on all the time I wasted doing church stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2019 03:30PM by messygoop.

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 02:10PM

$225K and counting...I have a TBM husband who still donates.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: December 22, 2019 09:26AM

I was never Mormon but my dad was, although totally and contemptuously non-active. (Smart dad for figuring it out.)

Until one day the bishop came to the door to give him his bill for his obligation to the new Stake House under construction. He could pay it in cash or work it off. (He was a carpenter!)

If he gave money, it was a pittance but I think he did give some free labor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2019 09:27AM by auntsukey.

Posted by: cl2 not logged in ( )
Date: December 22, 2019 09:57AM

I paid on the gross while single. He insisted on the net when we got married. That might be why he is still gay!!!!

We quit paying in order to pay out of pocket to see an expert on gays after I found out he was cheating. Probably 1994 or 1995 or so. Still he is gay. We were such horrible sinners. We just weren't righteous enough.

He could quit working TODAY and have enough pay to pay our medical bills until we get Medicare in 3 or so years. I could get an apartment and not live with any of the 3 difficult personalities I deal with daily (my TBM daughter's words). She said they are too intelligent and too stubborn. Or buy a second house is what I need so my dogs will have a backyard to run and play in.

My husband would have tucked it all away in a 401K. Every penny. Oh, how his life was impacted by the church and tithing. His parents would pray for money to feed the kids.

I'll have to ask him and get back with you. I actually do know that my daughter pays on gross and she pays extra tithing. Makes me sick. P.S. For all the issues we've had in the past, she has been a real benefit to me in the past week or 2. She's grown up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.