Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: December 23, 2019 02:00AM

In the summer of 1972, my family was vacationing in Hawaii and they let me attend a meeting of some Christian group who was also there in Kona. Afterward, one of their leaders asked me if I’d ever read “No Man Knows My History.” I hadn’t and I soon forgot about his challenge. I certainly wish I’d been more inquisitive at the time. Now I’ve tried to imagine my life being free from Mormonism from that early age onward. I would have attended a secular college locally (not Ricks or BYU, but CalState Northridge), never gone on a mission, and not rushed into marriage.

Who knows? I wasn’t ready then. I just imagine a very different life with alternate outcomes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 23, 2019 02:04AM

It's interesting that the leader knew of that book. I can't imagine that it was that well known outside of Mormon/exmo circles back then. I searched for information on Mormonism in the late 70s, and there was very little available in local book stores or the library (this was outside of the Moridor.)

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 23, 2019 02:06AM

I could have left at 16 also. My dad told me that if I dind't go to church, I couldn't live there. So I found an apartment in a city 20 miles away and signed a contract.

I wrecked my car that weekend, and so didn't move out.

My life would have been so much better if I had. Instead, I stayed for another 25 years. So much wasted time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.