Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 05:38PM

Today is the 9 year anniversary of escaping the cult!

So many changes have happened since I left! All good ones.

How many years for you others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 05:47PM

Today's my five-year anniversary. I resigned on my mom's birthday. She'd have been happy. :)

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 05:58PM

Little less than 2 years now.

Posted by: Starry forget password ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 06:10PM

January 28 1986 I typed up my resignation letter ( was excommunicated back then) it’s all good, life has been amazing since then. Btw it was the same day as the space shuttle challenger explosion. Soon to be 34 years.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 07:14PM

congrations OPie on your escape anniversary ~

ziller went over the wall sometime in 1979 ~

wrote a letter resigning some few years later ~

Salt Lake HQ gave the letter to ziller's bishop ~

ziller's bishop gave the letter to father of ziller ~

funn times ~

congratuations again OPIe ~

it keeps getting better ~

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 07:16PM

A silent thank you to Kathy Worthington

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 10:51AM

Yes, absolutely. Kathy walked me through the whole process. I don't recall the exact year, but it was around 2004 or 2005, something like that. In reality though, I hadn't darkened the door of a mormon church since I was a child, so I'm a long time out.

Sending that letter, and getting the confirmation that my name had been removed was symbolic and very satisfying.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 07:22PM

I walked out of the St. George temple on May 22, 1965, with the acorn of a conviction that ghawd and the mormon church were not even acquainted, much less doing business together. It grew into a fair-sized oak tree. Füċk you, mormon church.

But I grew up mormon and enjoyed it and I went along for the ride, which was a fun ride while it lasted, what with not having to believe it meant anything. But I do retain enough of my very, very enjoyable mormon childhood (especially high school) so that I remain somewhat old-school mormonish.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 08:26PM

It’s not naughty if you use an umlaut. That’s why I have one tattooed in my nether regions.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 10:05PM

IN 4 links to pics ~

thx ~

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 07:26PM

Almost five years for me. When do I stop kicking myself for having wasted so much of my life and money?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 07:27PM

Easier said than done - I know! I know. You did a difficult and courageous thing. Five years ago you chose to stop giving TSCC your time and money.

You

Are

Free

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 07:29PM

January because my daughter had argued with me over issues on Christmas Eve that year and I wanted to take a stand. I said I'd never resign, but I did. My nonmo boyfriend was afraid I'd regret it and he sent me all the e-mails I had sent him about never doing it. I've never had one minute of doubt about what I did. It lifted a huge load off my shoulders.

The bishop delivered the letter that I'm out on the anniversary of my father's death, February 1st.

I worked at Thiokol and was on maternity leave at the time of the space shuttle disaster. I was feeding my twins sitting on the sofa watching TV when they switched from Price is Right and I saw debris falling from the sky. I knew immediately what they were showing. I worked with the chemists and scientists who developed the propellant for the solid rocket motors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2019 07:31PM by cl2.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 08:59PM

I left in 2005 but didn’t know about how to leave until I found this site in 2010. I was amazed after I got the first letter how much I didn’t know about tscc. This site is so necessary. I am grateful for having a place where people understand.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 27, 2019 10:03PM

Left in 2000, so however old this new century grows is as long as I’ll be out.

Oh man, have I saved myself a pretty penny or two!

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 03:08AM

Saved at least a part of 100 billion dollars.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 06:03AM

Last attended in 2008.

Was teaching EQ at the time, but was mixing truth with the lessons and got the job taken away. I was taking things from No Man Knows My History that cited JHS, written by the man himself. And contrasting it to what is taught now.

After pushing my luck and getting released, I figured I could do no more good there. So I just stopped going. I moved to a building that you had to be buzzed in, so they couldn't chase me to reactivate.

I considered myself not a mormon. But didn't actually resign until maybe 3-4 years ago. It's good to be gone.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 09:04AM

How does 25 years pass so fast? Will be retired 4 years in April and those 4 years have passed even faster. I am glad that my family has had nothing to do with this organization other than this site. The burden of tithing was removed and was able to retire comfortably as a result. The 10% extortion went to retirement funding instead. The newly available free time has been as valuable as the 10% savings.

DW spends 2 to 3 days a week as a volunteer at a local elementary school where she previously worked. I help at a community college with their symphonic band program assisting clarinet and saxophone players. I just finished as a volunteer player in a community based theater organization performing the musical Billy Elliot. Will be playing for the American Legion in a couple of days, unpaid, for their New Years party and fund raiser. We are fortunate to do the things we enjoy. I have had the free time to get back to music and have had wonderful experiences meeting interesting people. Life is so much better outside of Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2019 09:05AM by Eric K.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: December 28, 2019 12:11PM

I never became a Deacon even. My dad said if I wan not going to live it, then don't do it. So I didn't.

Last time I tried to be a Mormon was in late 1979 when I lived in San Diego area. The YA activities I got invited me to reminded me of Junior High School. So I just gave up. Only times I have ever been back in a Mormon chapel are when my step-father died, and for baby blessings for my middle brother's three kids.

I officially resigned in 1990. I have the letter somewhere. BUT, my middle brother says that I am STILL listed as a member. He says an Ancestry.com search of my name brings up an LDS Church member number.

Sigh.....

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 08:29AM

It was November of 2010 when I was reading about J. Smith Polyandry on the apologetics website. It took me 2 months of serious research before I was convinced the church was a joke.

I never did pull my records. I want to keep them as they are to show my family that wasn't kicked out for adultry or some stupid reason to demonize my reputation.

So 9 years ago I paralleled you Wondering.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 10:38AM

I'm going to resign again today, in fact. I don't think they read the letter or delete our file. They just look at the return address and send us a brochure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 01:23PM by kathleen.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 01:06PM

Congratulations to all who escaped!

Katherine, I like your idea, and think all of us should resign again, every year! Keep those church offices busy. If we could be baptized and do all those rituals for dead people over and over many times, we should take the privilege of resigning over and over!

Oh yeah--life has been so much better without the depressing shadow of the Mormon cult.

I resigned 15 years ago. I was a BIC, but have always had an inquisitive mind, which always questioned the lies and myths and false doctrines. I always felt it was my fault that I didn't have a testimony. I went to church for the socializing and activities, and did make lifetime friends--but many of those bonding interactions no longer exist in today's cult. Frankly, I wouldn't want to be friends with most of the Mormons I'm around today. I'm fine with being "shunned" by people who now seem to be from another planet. I'm talking "Twilight Zone" weird!

It did take a few years for me to get over the pain and anger, and to overcome the Mormon brainwashing. Even now, I have to quickly stop old Mormon rote-reactions, and remember that I'm a new person, and make the necessary corrections. I have to remind myself to "consider the source", and not care what crazy, jealous people think of me. Sometimes, it's hard to stay focused on all the positives, when we're surrounded by Mormons. Even in a neighborhood like ours, which is now mostly NON-Mormons, the Mormons are still the loudest and most aggressive. I don't want to move away from my friends and family, and I figure that other neighborhoods might have angry gangs, which might be worse.

Eric K and his DW are a good example of how satisfying it is to do REAL charity work, now! For example, we can give others hands-on, direct help, and see results, build real relationships, customize our helping to each individual problem. We can use our individual talents and skills (Eric's music and his wife's teaching). We can volunteer where our interests are such as in animal rescue or environmental causes. We now interact within society as NORMAL human beings. How gratifying! How loving! Contrast this to being threatened and manipulated into giving 10% of our earnings BLINDLY to a wealthy corporation, in which we are all nothing but dollar-signs and numbers and "new names". Contrast this into being pushed into "callings" which are really a waste of everyone's time, teach lies to children, don't facilitate real connections with others, and take us away from our family-time, and really don't help those in need, at all. Compare Mormon janitor work to what Eric and his wife and I are doing--no comparison! For me, the contrast between being a Mormon and not being a Mormon is stark as being unhappy and being happy.

My children and I have beautiful, loving relationships. When our TBM families and I were trying for force them to be Mormons, the church was our only source of family arguments. The cult was splitting us apart, but, instead, my kids and I resigned together. Since then, we have never fought about our various, changing, beliefs in God or Christ. We have never fought about how we spend our time or money, or how we live our lives, because we are good, honest, law-abiding citizens, and we give ourselves and others rights, and respect. My children taught me to give up my TBM racism and elitism. Embracing other races and cultures has made life so much fuller and more interesting! I mean, the whole world has opened up to me!

Love! Unconditional love!
Truth!
Restored self-esteem!
Confidence in my career, as a working mother!
Discovering that the world is not horrible
There is no such thing as "outer darkness"
"Heaven" is for all of us, if we want it!

Officially resigning was a very positive experience, for me and my children, and was about 80% effective in getting rid of the Mormon stalkers and their harassment. It was 100% effective in ending the Mormon abuse--it had to stop--and resigning was the only way to stop it!

Yes, I feel guilty for having been a Mormon, and forcing my children into harm's way, and even converting a few families (All have left!)

Though we left quietly (we were afraid of the Mormon abusers, for good reason) many of our Mormon supposed "friends and neighbors" harassed us, and were very nasty and threatening to me and my children. Soon they settled into shunning us. All of this hurt me at first, but nothing is worse than being in that awful cult. I have zero Mormon ward friends now--they won't even acknowledge me at the grocery store. The Mormon Royalty half of my extended family have no contact with me. Our extended family on my father's side are still close, and several of my cousins have left the cult, and the majority of their children have left. My parents died before we left. Also, I was divorced from my cheating TBM husband, before we left.

I think my TBM family and shunning situations are fairly typical.

Happily, I have kept the same "liberal Mormon" childhood friends from California. Six of them have ended up right here in Salt Lake City! We remained friends in college, and we were honest and of good character, unlike most of the Mormons I have known. Some of us were each other's bridesmaids. Three of them never married, half of us are divorced, and 4 of us have admittedly left Mormonism. We don't gossip or talk much about religion. We have more in common than just religion--children, music, skiing, hiking, boating, movies, books, going to lunch, current events, lots of humor and laughter, various projects and hobbies, volunteer work, yoga and whatever. We were/are all career women with fewer than 4 children, if any. We have travelled, have earned advanced degrees, married later in life (ages 25-29 is old-maid age for Mormon women), and our Mormon home ward members and BYU friends were constantly criticizing us for being "picky", and they were always setting us up on dates, and trying to "provoke us unto marriage". Now we understand that WE were the normal, happy ones, and the fanatical MORMONS were the miserable and peculiar people.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 02:19PM

I like the notion of resigning every year!

Those of you who do genealogy should send in letters of resignation on behalf of deceased family members, so that if they want to resign in the hereafter, they can!!

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 01:13PM

20 years. I left the church and my TBM wife at the same time. Life immediately got better. My worst days as an ex-mo are still better than my best days as a TBM.

Posted by: june ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 06:22PM

Congratulations!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.