Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 02:18PM

I think of myself, and respond (when necessary), as a Christian, vs. LDS, or as a Mormon.

And you??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 02:34PM

Golfer and pet lover who reads!

Yes, I know...but someone has to!

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 02:38PM

Atheist versus former Mormon, birth sign Cancer, wears earth tones, likes long walks on the beach (while currently freezing in Montana).

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 02:48PM

I'm a cancer as well. Whaaat up.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 01:32AM

Hey, Warrior and montanadude, another Cancer here. :)

They say we’re really good cooks. My cooking explodes in the stomach!

Who am I? Bad cook, workaholic.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 02:39PM

Who am I? Is a tough question.

I do know this-I do not define who I am based on any metrics that are religion oriented.

My affliction of having been exposed to Mormonism in my younger years has left psychic scars that will be with me forever. Theses days I avoid religion as much as possible. It most certainly is not something I want as part of who I am...

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 02:46PM

On those extremely rare occasions where I am asked about my religious affiliation, I say I’m a “born again agnostic.”

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 02:47PM

Not really sure. I always have that line from the two towers go through my head as the rohan king is about to face his doom at helm's deep.

"Who am i gamli?"

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 09:49PM

Apathyest dog lover.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: December 29, 2019 09:57PM

A former deckhand who's at least half-crazy.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 12:23AM

Anonymous and already gone.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 12:42AM

Atheist just says who
I am not , not who I am.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 30, 2019 12:46AM

A friend recently asked if I am "a believer." I respond that I was raised Christian. I was trying to let her know that I had some understanding of her religious orientation, and that if she wanted to discuss a faith matter, I was open to it (she did.)

But the truth is, I don't know where I'm at in terms of faith. Agnostic is probably the closest description, but even that's not quite right. Maybe it's somewhere between agnostic and nominal believer.

I do understand what people get out of Christianity (Christianity at its best.) They can get hope, and comfort, and community. They can get a deeply philosophical grounding as to why they need to be doing some good in the world (and yes, nonreligious people do plenty of good as well. I'm referring to the impetus that Christianity can give to do charitable and other good works.) My friend is one such person -- her faith gives her the impetus to do numerous charitable and community-minded works.

I sometimes wonder if growing up in faith made me naïve in certain ways -- as if I expected the world to be a good, kind, and decent place. There is goodness, and kindness, and decency in the world, but it also needs a more critical and appraising eye. It's like I grew up in a fairytale, or in a Hallmark movie. And then as you get older, you learn that to certain other people, you are just a mark, someone to be taken advantage of. I guess, in my early 60s, I'm still trying to make sense of it all. I'm still trying to figure myself out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.