Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 11:29AM

Interesting. Apparently the Mo church is working hard at spearheading the building of a ramped up presence in Nauvoo, including plans to build a new Nauvoo Community Center with participation and buy in from some local community members.

See https://www.nauvoocommunitycenter.org/project-history
Are they going to do the same thing in Kirtland (OH) as well?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 12:19PM

They need to create The Hill Cumorah Theme Park!

Every night there, you get a pageant in your pants!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 01:07PM

the actors for Joey & Emma have already been selected and are undergoing training 'rehearsals', but the parts for Fanny & others are still open to auditions!

Date: January 05, 2020 01:07PM

Next building to be erected: Anti-banking Society HQ!!

complete with a display of fake coins!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2020 01:09PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 01:50PM

And who the heck is going to supply the milk strippings? (Whatever they are)

Date: January 05, 2020 02:00PM

were the city lots ever surveyed & recorded?

I wonder who owns those lots now...

Posted by: anonandanon ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 02:40PM

When LDS, Inc. came to Nauvoo and started buying up the historic sites it caused home and land inflation prices for the locals. This made it impossible for many of the locals to get there children to stay and/or move to Nauvoo. I suppose it also raised property tax rates as well. The many Utah Mormons have moved in to retire there. A small, happy, midwestern ag community became a Utah tourist destination that took but gave little back.

Last I heard was that the non-LDS locals were distressed by the LDS influence (control) over their city.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 04:33PM

Just one of many take-overs by the armies of Helaman, on their way to become "global."

It's Maifest Destiny carried to the extreme, and the only way we can understand this is to compare the Mormon cult to other dictatorships, throughout history, and the evils that they perpetrated against "ordinary" people. Murder (MMM), stealing of money, stealing of land (from my ancestors) scams, hoaxes, dirty politics, slavery, polygamy, hatred, lies, threats, brainwashing of children. All those advertising and PR campaigns, recruiting, stalking. They focus on innocent children. The Mormon Church is more horrible than anyone realizes.

Except, the people of Nauvoo realize it, or they will soon. Most citizens of the Morridor know, if they stop their denial and fear of losing their jobs and families. The only hope of squelching all this corruption is to shine the light of Truth on it. The light is getting brighter and more widespread, so keep up the good work, everyone.

My TBM cousin moved his family of 12 children to Nauvoo, in anticipation of the mass Mormon exodus to there. He thought he could grab some land and some leadership, by getting there ahead of the other Mormons. Cousin has always felt "special." Housing was cheap, back then, but the influx of wealthier Mormon retirees boosted housing costs, and also the cost of living. There were no jobs for my engineer cousin, or his school teacher wife, or any of their adult college grad children. His beautiful oldest daughter got a well-paying job waitressing in a bar, wearing a cult little outfit, and getting good tips, all of which she handed over to her father, but it couldn't sustain them all. They lost their land and their house, and moved back to Utah, but are still unable to recover financially.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 06:11PM

"...cult little outfit..."

That may be the best Freudian slip ever...

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: January 05, 2020 09:36PM

...that the mass Mormon exodus is supposed to be to Missouri, not Nauvoo?

At least in Independence and Far West, there's proximity to a large city with a healthy job market. Near as I can tell from my visits to Nauvoo and Carthage, the only thing they have going for them is Mormon tourism. And judging by how many Mormons I saw hanging around last time I was out there, that isn't going well. The temple parking lot was empty despite the temple being open for business; no one was walking around the historic neighborhood in the flood plain; when I went to the jail at Carthage, the missionaries glommed on like I was the only person they had seen all day.

Too bad ChurchCo doesn't release annual reports on attendance at historic sites like they do their annual "audit":

"According to an independent auditing firm, our books are all perfect!

Turns out, EVERYONE is visiting our historic sites! We can barely contain them all! Send more money so we can build enough bathrooms!"

Date: January 05, 2020 09:44PM

Who will CLEAN those bathrooms?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: January 06, 2020 11:27AM

I didn't realize this before, but I was visiting my TBM brother and his family this weekend and at one point he complained about the whole janitorial situation. Apparently, there are no paid cleaning staff left except for a handful of regional maintenance people; everything is up to the members. His local building is cleaned once a week, on Saturday, but--

1) it's "cleaned" by families who don't scrub every toilet, unclog drains, fix water fountains--out of laziness or lack of equipment/knowledge.

2) The equipment is substandard to begin with. The church cheaps out and buys residential toilets for their bathrooms that see a commercial "load" during the week they're left uncleaned.

He described the bathrooms as "gross." One of the drinking fountains at the chapel was shooting water out the side of the spigot, soaking the carpet around it, for six months before ChurchCo got someone out to fix it. The roof was replaced earlier this year (cheaply) and already leaks in multiple places, but there's no budget and no one to fix it.

Meanwhile, the church sits on $100 billion.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 06, 2020 01:43AM

for the "New and Everlasting Covenant" interactive experience zone.

Mostly they're having difficulty recruiting professional ladies to dress up in early 19th century costumes to be "plural wives" for park visitors. The candidates for the positions are demanding too much compensation.

The church leaders are also looking at an "animatronics" option, but state-of-the-art animatronics are too expensive and the older technology versions would likely not be popular enough with park visitors.

Dallin Oaks was hoping that the producers of WestWorld would be able to help out and was surprised (and disappointed) to learn that the robots in the show aren't really robots, but are actually actors pretending to be robots.

Meanwhile, Russell Disney Nelson was overheard complaining that Joseph Smith had it much easier with the original Nauvoo theme park because people were more inclined to believe promises from a "Prophet" that they would be compensated after death. But now everyone wants cash upfront and Russell Disney Nelson doesn't want to have to dip into the $100 billion slush fund--even for something as important as the Nauvoo II theme park.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.