Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 07, 2020 11:34PM

AND--

"Even with the rain, authorities warn that the fires will continue to burn."

The prayers need to be more specific.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 07, 2020 11:36PM

and not taking into consideration what the reality is.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 10:16AM

Exactly. Show God some respect. He's a very busy deity. Specifics please, people!

He needs color coded charts, graphs, maps of pin-pointed areas, and nominations for people to blame for the mess in the first place. That is the only way he can do exactly what you are asking.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 01:22AM

It takes enormous amounts of rain to put out a forest fire. Just like a campfire; you don't just spray it with a garden hose--it has to be doused.

Nice try at making yourselves look important, Mormons.

Long as those firefighters are paying their tithing, Mormons' feckless fasting will do for now.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 01:23AM

LOTS of FLOODING, roads caving in, Snow closures here in PNW;

I guess god can't allocate the rains/'moisture' to where it's needed most properly.

Date: January 08, 2020 01:47AM

Those PNW Mormons must be sneaking food.

That'll teach 'em !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2020 01:54AM by kathleen.

Posted by: thorn ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 05:20AM

The Muslim community claimed their prayers brought the rain. A small portion of the burning area get ma small amount of rain that although good to see won't really do anything to change the situation. Great how everyone takes credit for the hits and ignores the misses.
If the Church was serious about helping maybe they could dig into the fund that Australian members contributed to and do something useful.

Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 10:11AM

Beg to differ about Ca. educational system. Prop13 has more to do with our schools than hedonism. Meanwhile, two more storms barreling in for more rain and snow.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 11:00AM

You have to wonder about a God that will only do the right thing if his subjects starve themselves.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 11:03AM

Ah, the glory of suffering.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 01:16PM

The group narcissism of cults never ceases to amaze me. Oh yes, one little period of self-imposed abstention from the abundance of the standard American diet is such a potent sacrifice. An offering of one's growling tum and hangry mood... that's soooo moving. So much more worthy of godly attention than, say, the 3.1 million children under the age of five (WHO statistic) who have gone so long without adequate nutrition in the year that they die of it.

If you eat so well that going without for a day feels like such a big deal that God owes you a favor, I don't know what to say except perhaps they should see what they can get from God by going on a real hunger strike.

Posted by: Suspicious Sam ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 02:06PM

Call me skeptical, but what you want to bet the area presidency looked very closely at meteorological and weather forecasts prior to their "fast for rain" invite?

"Fast" really is the key word here. The rain didn't come fast and strong to quench the fires. Nothing to see here Mormons....move along now and pay your tithing to the billion dollar pot in sunny Salt Lake.

(sarcasm on) I am sure the benevolent brethren will be spending some of those billions to help the saints and gentiles in Aussie land. It's coming folks...the help from the Mormon church is coming soon.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 02:47PM

Yes, yes, the Mormon s have proved that hunger is all wet.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 02:56PM

Two things cause fires like this. The underbrush was not cleared due to lack of controlled burns in the winter season and arson. You don't get that many fires caused by lightning alone. Something or someone is lighting them. dry brush can be ignited from sparks from dragging trailer chains or hot exhaust systems on vehicles and of course people being careless with fire or lighting a fire for fun or revenge.

Australia used to have controlled burns during the winter season to prevent massive fires like this. They stopped doing it for all sorts of reasons. If they still did controlled burns the fires wouldn't be this bad.

I used to live in a subdivision that was surrounded by thick forests. The local forrest service people warned us that our subdivision could be in danger if the under brush in the forrest wasn't cleared. We had a home owners association meeting about hiring or organizing volunteers to clear the brush. It was decided to do nothing because the liability insurance was too high.

A few years later I was driving home from work and I noticed a bunch of people were clearing the brush out. They had a wood chipper. It turns out it was the power company. High tension lines ran next to our subdivision and they were clearing the fire danger to protect their power lines from fire.

So there's the problem. In the modern western world we can't get anything done because of regulations and fear of liability. I'm sure Australia deals with the same problems. The result. Huge fires.

Date: January 08, 2020 02:56PM

Like Elderolddog once said: if fasting were beneficial, then Bangladesh would be verdant, and people would be happy.

Is that what you said, EOD? I can't remember the details. But, it stuck with me.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 04:21PM

So the mormons are claiming that their fasting and praying last Sunday resulted in rain falling in Australia? That is nothing but a load of mouldy old fly-blown bovine excreta!!!

The reality is that our BOM (Bureau of Meteorology, not the book of mormon), predicted that we would get cooler conditions and light rain on the 5th and 6th of January and TSCC latched onto a pretty sure thing.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that if the BOM had predicted rain for the 13th, their fast would have been a "special" one on the 12th.

Maybe if this apology for a Christian denomination wanted to convince the world that they really were the one true church on earth, then Rusty, Wendy, the famous lighted pen and the mormon god (they don't deserve capital letters), would come up with some real predictions and some practical help.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 08, 2020 04:58PM

The Mormon church should send a substantial donation, but we know the leaders won't do that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.