Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: madeguy ( )
Date: October 28, 2010 07:45PM

(First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve meeting minutes)

Monson: Brethren, You have been called here tonight that we may discuss a matter of the gravest
concern to me. Brethren, I have had a dream, a most disturbing dream. In this dream I saw, in glorious color, brother Glenn Beck piloting a speeding locomotive, leaning out of the window, a fey smile on his face, as he sped past me careening toward our holy temple. Now brethren, I know this is impossible, but in this very lucid dream I saw the temple shining in its supernal splendor, and brother Beck, who clearly was on a collision course with the temple, was not trying to stop the locomotive, but was pulling hard on the cord of the train whistle and he appeared intent on crashing into the temple.

(silence)

Hales: Well, it was just a nightmare President.

Monson: Yes it was. But I am impressed that attention should be paid to this nightmare. Whether it be
divine inspiration or my own intuition, it is ominous to me. I’m afraid this dream foretells a
situation of grave consequence.

Uchtdorf: President, what do you think it means?

Monson: We all know the zealous fervor of brother Beck. He is faithful, and loyal to us. I fear however
that, should he discover certain truths... well, I fear that his reaction may be, shall we say,
insurmountable.

Uchtdorf: He appears to be squarely on board. He has not really caused...

Packer: President, I share your concern. Be assured, brother Beck is being monitored. The committee
has compiled a dossier, and we will be alerted at the first sign of danger.

Oaks: Elder Nelson, has the committee found anything that can be used as leverage.

Nelson: I’ll certainly find out.

Oaks: Christian right-wingers don’t trust him. Their support is shallow. But if he ever dared to level
criticism at us, his popularity could swell.

Packer: If he gets a taste of that...

Oaks: He may not realize the potential. He could destabilize us. The usual damage control measures
would be futile in such a case.

Packer: The man has aspirations. As president Monson has stated, there are inconvenient facts
in our history that may upset him. He could use us a springboard.

Perry: But how big an influence is he? How many followers does he have?
Packer: He has millions. Most of them eat out his hand. He’s all over the bestseller list, and his TV
exposure is enormous. I daresay he may have as much influence on the members as we have.

Eyring: Now, brethren, I don’t think...

Oaks: Most of the faith destroying information we’ve tried so desperately to conceal is still widely
available notwithstanding our efforts. I wonder if brother Beck has been exposed to any of it.

Nelson: No, not to our knowledge.

Oaks: Though inevitably, he will be.

Packer: Elder Nelson, when did the committee discuss him last?

Nelson: A couple of months ago.

Packer: I’m concerned that someone may try to influence him, that perhaps some historical
detail will be revealed to brother Beck. Has anyone approached him?

Nelson: He is discussed on the RfM board. To our knowledge, brother Beck has not responded to these discussions.

Bednar: So, you monitor those sites thoroughly?

Nelson: Absolutely, one hundred percent.

Packer: What I’m asking you is, has he ever been approached by known apostates?

Nelson: Not to our knowledge President, no.

Oaks: Brethren, I’m not saying we should take action, but the committee must have a contingency plan.

(silence)

Packer: Is the committee prepared to handle all contingencies Elder Nelson?

Nelson: Uhh... well President, we mostly monitor, and inform...

Packer: Monitoring is not the issue Elder. President Monson has expressed a concern, which is now
our concern. Would President Monson limit our response in a matter such as this?

Monson: Brethren, we are duty bound to protect this thing of ours.

(silence)

Nelson: If I may, this contingency has been handled in the past as some of you know. However,
historically, our confidence in an undertaking of this nature has not been very high. The
methods used carried great risk.
Packer: Brethren, if I may. Our associations in eastern Europe have made additional methods known to
us. One such method is an aflatoxin derived from peanuts. It has been used by the KGB for years. Only one drop is required, and it’s undetectable. It is slow, but will not fail. In two weeks time we’ll have the desired result.

Oaks: If it is determined that it is necessary to proceed, how long before the derivative is administered?

Nelson: Brethren, now... you... we...

Packer: Two days at most. More likely within a few hours.

Nelson: You... you’re getting ahead of me here, President.

Perry: His health issues are a matter of public record.

Oaks: Correct.

Packer: Elder Nelson, not a word of this to the committee. And we’ll not speak of this again.

Nelson: No, of course not.

Monson: Brethren, let us adjourn. I would express my gratitude for your participation this evening. My
confidence is renewed daily that the kingdom shall roll forward and that we shall overcome
every obstacle in our path. President Uchdorf, would you kindly offer a prayer to close our
meeting?

Uchtdorf: Yes President, certainly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 28, 2010 09:04PM

They had best be concerned because Brother Beck is a confirmed flip-flopper, to wit, his bedvideo during his @sshole operation, (which obviously failed to reduce its size/oh well) in which he decried the state of American health care...

and then, once his ear was whispered into by the FAAAR right, he announced that American health care was the best in the world, and that even Castro knows that, etc, etc.

So one can only imagine that a whisper from his investment banker could be the piece of information that turns him. Can't take that chance, perhaps we could offer him sufficient economic protection to reduce the temptation?

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: October 28, 2010 09:59PM

considering all of Beck's recent health problems? Maybe he has become too popular for the good of the church and too controversial. CONSPIRACY THEORY if he happened to go to greener pastures in the near future if you know what I mean.

Posted by: top cat ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 01:55AM

Date: October 29, 2010 03:50PM

Primus! Yes, exactly. Beck himself believes that he has been poisoned and that his enemies want him removed. WHo knows? It might be the one time he is right on. His final conspiracy theory.

If you doubt the church would take such action, look up Meldrum on FAIR and read their apologetic, which takes his statements, characterizes them as "revelations", then refers to him from thence forth as "Meldrum and his revelations".

Interestingly, the unfair treatment of Meldrum and his daring to think independently has not gone unnoticed by my TBM friend. He actually said that FAIR was jealous and was bullying Meldrum. This is the first negative thing he has ever said about any church-related apologetic tactic. The public loves an underdog is my point, so the church could not afford to attack popular Glenn Beck...yet, he has become a loose cannon.

Is Beck too powerful to allow him to go on? Is the church still doing that?

Well, I remember what happened to Harold B. Lee when he was about to make an important change in church policy which was not supported by the Committee.

My gut tells me Beck has committed the Meldrum Error. He has become popular, he has the ear of millions and he is not controllable. He is doomed.

Posted by: Jimmy ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 05:55PM

I don't get this thread. What is Glenn Beck saying that is offensive to church leaders?? Glenn is just preaching the way the apostles used to before the church became "politically correct" 1978+. His TV show matches what Mormons believe. Give me examples of Glenn's views that are different than the Mormon Church.

Here is the message I get from Glenn Beck. We need faith, hope, charity. Turn to God, become better yourself. help others, pay tithing. Others are trying to gain power and take away your freedoms, know what they are up to. Be like Christ. In my mind he sounds like a modern day version of the Book of Mormon.

Date: October 29, 2010 06:20PM

It's not Glenn Beck's message that is the problem, Jimmy. It doesn't matter that he's toeing the line today. The fact that there is a person out there who has more political influence than the church does is the problem. He might flip!

What is hard to understand about "he has the ear of millions and is not controllable". He is a loose canon with a huge following. Can't you hear the fingers tapping on mahogany desks in the wide and spacious building? What to do if Beck should succumb to widely-available anti-Mormon literature?

Compare him with Mitt Romney who is a veritable bobblehead of priestly authority. He would not utter a word without checking first with the GAs. That's the kind of "leader" they like.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 29, 2010 07:37PM

Beck doesn't need the Mormons. He can borrow some doctrine add to it and start his own movement. Then all the tithing comes to him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.