Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 07:09PM

I received an email today from Quit(M)ormon saying:

-------------------
Dear [Changed Man],

Your resignation from the church has been confirmed! Congratulations!

The church no longer sends confirmation letters. Instead, if you wish, you can log in to your profile and download a Quit(M)ormon confirmation certificate.

View your resignation (link)

Your resignation ID is XXXXXX. Please use this reference number when contacting us.

We sincerely thank you for the opportunity to serve you.

Mark & Ryan
Quit(M)ormon.com
For help, please reply to this email, or submit a new help request.
----------------

So, I'm out! I'm free! We'll see what the family fallout is. My wife had asked for a separation anyway, so I thought, "Why not? I only remained a member for her, so that excuse was no longer an issue. I submitted the resignation paperwork on MLK Day, so it was kind of fitting. Free at last. Free at last. Thank all that's rational, I'm free at last!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 07:17PM

Why does one need to submit paperwork to quit a religion ?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 07:25PM

The paperwork isn't really so much about quitting the religion.

The paperwork work is to keep the locals from bothering you. They will mindlessly follow and even harrass people for decades as long as the name shows on their lists.

Date: February 03, 2020 07:47PM

the locals will still bother you, even with paperwork.

Posted by: TonyS ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 08:36PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the locals will still bother you, even with
> paperwork.

^^^^ THIS!!!

Resigning no longer means that they won't contact you.

My wife and I have been contacted many times, and even had the missionaries stop by to teach us after we resigned through the bishop.

The church is trying to bring you back into the fold, so resigning is now optional folks.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 02:53PM

The locals will try.

If you haven't resigned, you can't do much about this.

If you have resigned, you can.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 02:36PM

The locals MAY still bother you. Poster cl2 routinely hears from members of her former ward. Of course, her daughter is a member er, her husband is a member, and she has lived in the same house in the same heavily Mormon neighborhood for decades, and almost all her neighbors are also members of her former ward, so yeah, she hears from Mormons. A lot.

I have had almost zero contact with Mormons since resigning, except that I walk through Temple Square area and will occasionally get a hello from the mishies. I did have a couple of students over the years that tried to make me a project. I brushed that aside with little difficulty.

Resigning doesn't guarantee that you will never be contacted again, but it improves the odds dramatically.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 08:03PM

Why does one need a "resignation ID number?" They just want to control you, and make you jump through one more hoop.

Imagine--you aren't even worth a confirmation letter. Nope, you don't deserve that copied letter or to have some volunteer stuff it into an envelope, or the cost of the stamp. What did we expect of a hoax cult that's after only money? Did we expect a "Sorry to see you go?" How about "Thank you for your many years of serving in callings and giving us 10% of your income?" No, you can "log into your profile and download a...confirmation certificate." You need your resignation ID number to log in, and follow directions, and do as they tell you to do. Sorry, but this pisses me off!

Not that my confirmation letter even had my name on it. None of the correspondences from the cult ever did have my name on it. No salutation, no "Very truly yours." Mormonism is a rude business.

In fact, my confirmation didn't say that I had resigned, or that I was no longer a member. It only said that my name had "been removed from the rolls" but that if I wanted to re-join, all my information was still there for easy access. Huh? How could they get everything back if I was removed?

It's all just more Mormon hype and control. We are free when we say so, on our own terms! I wanted the resignation letter to show the bullies who kept banging on our door and harassing me and my children. And, resigning felt good, as you well know. I would like to resign again, every year, as a ritual, and celebrate afterwards.

CONGRATULATIONS!

As far as your "family fallout" goes, the worst is over. Your wife is already gone. Nothing the Mormons did to me and my children after we left was as bad as what they did to us when we were members. Oh yeah, the kids and I have stories to tell.

Date: February 03, 2020 08:54PM

Yup !

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 02:00PM

Keep in mind the email that the OP posted did not come from the church, it came from the website they used to resign. The "resignation ID number" comes from Quit(M)ormon.com, not the church. I'm not completely familiar with the website, but if I remember correctly, it's one that's supposed to "help" with the resignation process.

The church does not assign a "resignation ID number" I've never heard anyone else who has resigned ever receiving one from the church.

Personally, I'm a little suspicious of using services like this as the resignation process is as simple as sending an email yourself (see https://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm) and I'm pretty sure the church does still send letters stating you're out. I could be wrong, but I thought that was still standard practice.

Date: February 04, 2020 02:19PM

The "Resignation ID number" is a thing created by the law firm, not LDS Inc. It is a database key to look up your records with the law firm.

I am also surprised that the church is no longer sending out confirmation letters. I'm not sure I believe that. What I suspect is the case is that they don't send individual letters to the law firm, they just send them a block notification that the following resignations have been processed. If you resign individually, I expect LDS Inc still sends you a letter saying that they have processed your resignation.

Two things.
You don't need a law firm. Resigning is easy.

While the final confirmation letter is informally referred to as the "you're out" letter, in reality, you are out as soon as they receive your resignation. The first letter they send back does not point out that your membership has already ended, but it does not contradict that either. They do not actually say that you are still a member until they process your paperwork, but they are willing to let you assume that.

In fact, you are not a member while they are processing their paperwork.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 02:57PM

"In reality, you are out as soon as they receive your resignation...

In fact, you are not a member while they are processing their paperwork."

This is exactly right, and bears repeating.

ANY member of ANY group resigns by notifying the group he has resigned. Period.

If the group has internal process that's their problem. He's out as of the moment he's given notification.

This is true for ANY group. TSSC is no exception.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 07:21PM

I almost bought an MLK shirt the other day. I think the quote was 'it is always the right time to do what is right'. Or something like that.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 07:22PM

Congratulations.

Glad you are free.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 07:38PM

Congratulations. All best for your life going forward!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 08:31PM

Good for you! Have a great new life.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 09:30PM

Congratulations! It doesn't matter if they contact you or not. You have drawn a line in the sand and made it clear where you stand. You did it for you and you should be so proud.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 09:45PM

I like drawing the line in the sand every chance I get.

Date: February 03, 2020 10:09PM

When life gives you lemons make lemonade. When life gives you limes make magaritas.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 11:00PM

If life gives you lemons, you may be a Lemonite!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 10:16PM

They no longer send confirmation letters? That’s funny. I guess they were wasting a lot of toner printing out “should you wish to re-join your local bishop can assist you” tens of thousands of times a year. I mean, since no one was taking them up on the offer.

Congrats. You can now really figure out your own path.

Date: February 04, 2020 02:43PM

See my comment above. LDS Inc is probably sending a block notification to the law firm of resignations processed, instead of individual letters. I think individuals will still get the final confirmation letter.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 01:05PM

who hadn't resigned because of your wife and, sure enough. Congratulations!

I did it as a statement to my daughter and I'm so glad I did. It may not mean anything to anyone else except me, but it did me a lot of good mentally and emotionally. I've never once regretted it.

And, yes, the locals still bug me about going to church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2020 01:06PM by cl2.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 02:07PM

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: February 05, 2020 11:43AM

They gave you some sort of issued number for your resignation? The nerve! It's like they are branding you like cattle. I dedicate Cee Lo Green to LDS, Inc.

I see you driving 'round town
With the girl I love and I'm like,
Forget you!
Oo, oo, ooo
I guess the change in my pocket
Wasn't enough I'm like,
Forget you!
And forget her too!

Censured for your ex-mo pleasures :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.