Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 07:09PM

While basically German/Dutch, with a few other Northern European countries in the mix, here is what surprised me.

2.5% Ashenazi Jew

slightly less than 4% Neanderthal

0.3% Asian and North African

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 08:59PM

Interesting! what confuses me is the 4% neanderthal... what the heck is that? I still can't wrap my mind around that smart people who have been to school believe in some mythical gorilla mating with homo sapiens, and actually did the dirty deed, successfully! Just try that today with any other monkey and see what happens, There absolutely no evidence that humans and monkeys can make a new species when they get it on... But scientists actually have us believing this garbage.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 09:08PM

Neanderthals were not monkeys, nor were they gorillas. Can you get your mind around that?

Posted by: good grief ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 11:20PM

That's OK, lots of things confuse you.

Try to understand that to the rest of us, practically every one of your posts is like a "KIK MƎ IM DUM" sign taped to your back.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 11:43PM

Humans have 46 chromosomes. All other extant ape species have 48. Where did the missing set of chromosomes go? They fused in what we call today human chromosome 2. This was likely about 3 million years ago which coincides with many of the early human ancestor fossils. Chromosome 2 is linked to human intelligence among other significant features.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 12:02AM

Neanderthals buried their loved ones and put flowers in their graves -- just like you do. Wrap your head around that.

Date: February 04, 2020 12:28AM

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/who-were-the-neanderthals.html

They weren't monkeys. They were just a different variety of humans.

Also, the myth of them being stooped came from research that had been done on a very elderly bent over Neanderthal man's bones.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 09:11PM

I got 3.3% Neanderthal on my DNA test.

It makes me feel good because they're not really gone. A part of them lives on in us.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 11:08PM

I was actually kind of disappointed that I didn't have at least a dash of Neanderthal in my ancestry. Nope, just British, Germanic, and a trace of "Eastern European," whatever that might have been. Plain white paper. As boring as it gets.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 11:19PM

But you DO have Neanderthal DNA!

Anyone with significant British, Germanic or East European heritage inevitably has Neanderthal genes. Moreover the research we are discussing in this thread indicates that Africans have Neanderthal DNA as well, so the notion that any person currently alive anywhere on earth has none is almost impossible.

Any company that denies your Neanderthal ancestry is not good at its work.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 03, 2020 11:44PM

neanderthal chicks are freaks in the sheets ~

can confirm ~

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 03:19PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 03:22PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 05:12PM

So there in the temple, in the millennium (falcon), when they get the records of a woman from 5,000 years ago who had three kids by three men, to whom are she and the three kids sealed?

I gotz ta know!

Also, can a man refuse a sealing? Obviously a woman can't, what with them just being breeding stock... How proud Mormon TBM women must be!!

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 09:48PM

I think some of the most well spent money I forked over was for DNA screening. I got both entertainment and real value out of my results.

My ancestry came out British, French, Swedish, Sami Finnish, Spanish, Basque, and Armenian. Neanderthal contribution, 3.5%. That was entertaining, because my insular (cough...racist...cough) Scots-Irish grandparents insisted we were British Islanders clear back to the Tuatha de Danan...ha, not.

The real value came from discovering I have two alleles for Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which causes connective tissue problems, and I have two alleles for Long QT cardiac interval. Neither of these two conditions have ever even come up in conversation with my doctors before and so now I'm getting all sorts of answers to symptoms I've had with easily damaged joints, slow injury healing, fatigue and fibromyalgia. I'm going next week to get monitored for signs of the long QT heart rhythm, which is more preventable with medication. Apparently if you're not careful it can make you drop dead, so I'm thinking it's really good to know.

The screening did catch my narcolepsy, confirming a previous diagnosis, and nailed my family history of addiction, depression, heart disease and diabetes. It's all right there, spelled out in my cells. There's lab technicians out there who know my hair and eye color and a lot of my background, yet don't know my name. Weird, but cool.

"Science has us believing these things" because science, and these things, are true. Yes, waaaaaayyyyyy back I've got Grandma Ooga the Neanderthal. Probably explains why my legs never met a razor they couldn't defeat halfway through showertime. H. neanderthalensis was not a separate species and we as modern humans are sprinkled with their genes, but it's nothing to feel weird about. If you go back far enough, life, and thus humanity, originated in warm muck. Humans didn't come on the scene and learn their technology from zero...it came from the experience and adaptiveness of all their progenitors, even those who went extinct. Now we can sample ourselves and look back at the people who made us but died before anything was written down. Not bad for starting from slimy soup.

Date: February 04, 2020 11:36PM

Unfortunately, many of our disorders were passed down to us directly from Neanderthal DNA

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 09:53PM

Neanderthals had the same number of chromosomes as we do and they had larger brains than homo sapiens. They may have had some language. They are also of the genus homo, which means they were humans, not "gorillas."

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 11:10PM

My DNA test results came back 2.8% Neanderthal DNA and 4% Asian or Native American, they couldn't tell which at the time, but have since informed me that it's mainly Native American.
It's kind of funny because they can tell you what percentage of your DNA is from England or Scotland, but they can't tell you if your DNA is Asian or Native American.
Ultimately we're all mostly African, with various degrees of hybridization with more ancient species of Humans.
It seems like if we were closely related enough to interbreed and produce fertile offspring with Neanderthals, they were a lot more closely related to us than chimps, who have 24 Chromosomes, when we only have 23. If we were able to mate with Neanderthals successfully, then we were probably the same species. It's not settled, since some different species like wolves can interbreed with coyotes successfully, so there's a question as to whether Neanderthals and Denisovans are really Homo Sapiens Neanderthallensis and Homo Sapiens Densovanas.

Homo neanderthalensis, alternatively designated as Homo sapiens neanderthalensis,[184]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution#Neanderthal_and_Denisovan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2020 11:11PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: February 04, 2020 11:42PM

Genetic tests are misleading.

Populations move. Societies die. We don't have enough genetic databases for ancient populations -- just a few samples from a few groups. The people living in Italy or Greece today for example are not the same people who were living there before the Bronze Age.

In other words, take genetic tests results with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 04, 2020 11:48PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Genetic tests are misleading.
>
> Populations move. Societies die. We don't have
> enough genetic databases for ancient populations
> -- just a few samples from a few groups. The
> people living in Italy or Greece today for example
> are not the same people who were living there
> before the Bronze Age.
>
> In other words, take genetic tests results with a
> healthy dose of skepticism.

Of course, like everything else, considering scientists change their minds all the time, based upon new evidence, but according to the best evidence we have....

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/dtcgenetictesting/neanderthaldna

"Scientists have sequenced Neanderthal and Denisovan genomes from fossils discovered in Europe and Asia. This genetic information is helping researchers learn more about these early humans. Determining which areas of the genome are shared with archaic humans, and which areas are different, will also help researchers find out what differentiates modern humans from our closest extinct relatives.

In addition to the percentage of Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA, direct to-consumer testing reports may include information about a few genetic variants inherited from these ancestors that influence specific traits. Studies have suggested that certain genetic variations inherited from archaic humans may play roles in hair texture, height, sensitivity of the sense of smell, immune responses, adaptations to high altitude, and other characteristics in modern humans. These variations may also influence the risk of developing certain diseases. However, the significance of Neanderthal or Denisovan genetic variants on disease risk is still an area of active study, and most direct-to-consumer test results currently do not include them.

While knowing how much DNA a person has in common with his or her Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestors may be interesting, these data do not provide practical information about a person’s current health or chances of developing particular diseases. Having more or less DNA in common with archaic humans says nothing about how “evolved” a person is, nor does it give any indication of strength or intelligence. For now, knowing which specific genetic variants a person inherited from Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestors provides only limited information about a few physical traits."

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 05, 2020 01:08AM

There are historical reasons for not wanting to have their DNA tested: Blood quantum is a tool the federal gov't uses to "validate" one's tribal affiliation and enrollment. Blood quantum is seen as a tool of oppression by some.

Date: February 05, 2020 12:36AM

"Of course, like everything else, considering scientists change their minds all the time, based upon new evidence, but according to the best evidence we have...."

Science is not a belief system. It's an empirical skeptical inquiry system. New ideas that fit facts are adopted and facts that don't are discarded.

You seem to yearn for some kind of fixed belief system that doesn't change -- like religious dogma.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2020 12:39AM by anybody.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 05, 2020 01:23AM

My DNA report said I have 275 Neanderthal “variants”. Anyone know about percent is that?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.