Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 13, 2020 12:33AM

https://youtu.be/7NPC47qMJVg

Right now we're a type zero society
in 100 years we'll be a type One society, a planetary society, if we don't destroy ourselves first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2020 01:32AM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 13, 2020 12:53AM

I dunno, but I’m pretty sure the church will destroy itself.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 13, 2020 01:01AM

You answered on topic! Boo!

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: February 13, 2020 02:56PM

Kaku got Kardashev wrong. But that's OK. SC doesn't know the material well enough to recognize the mistake either.

Date: February 13, 2020 10:00PM

dogbloggernli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kaku got Kardashev wrong. But that's OK. SC
> doesn't know the material well enough to recognize
> the mistake either.

Sounds spot on to me.
What did he get wrong?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: February 13, 2020 11:18PM

Kaku claims we're level 0. There is no level 0. Kardashev himself judged the world as close to 1 not a hundred years out, but back in 1964.

Kaku misapplied the context which is radio astronomy/SETI. It's not about technical ability but RF noise and related energy levels to generate them. In other words, it's about the scope of signals we can detect and what they might indicate about the originating species. Which is why it's judged by energy consumption. That's all the noise really indicates.

There is no judging of immortality tech or space capability or most of what Kaku went n about. It's not about judging the social and technical ability as that's simply not evident in what the Kardashev scale measures.

We have been emitting interstellar detectable signals for decades and this why Kardashev said we're "close" to level 1.

What Kaku delivered was his personal space fantasy from misunderstanding Kardashev.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 12:22AM

Broadcast television is a good warning for ETs to stay away. Except for the ones who like beer commercials.

Date: February 13, 2020 10:03PM

I don't get why Admin felt it neccessary to mark this O/T.
I didn't have time to explain in OP, but, seems like discussing the future demise if the human race has a lot to do with the Doomsday CULT we are recovering from.

Date: February 13, 2020 11:04PM

The future demise of the human race could be linked to ANYTHING!

I think you just like typing Kaku!

You may be Kaku for Kaku-puffs!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 10:09PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> The future demise of the human race could be
> linked to ANYTHING!
>
> I think you just like typing Kaku!
>
> You may be Kaku for Kaku-puffs!

This can't be topped ever in the history of man... OMG Elderolddog, I love it.

Date: February 14, 2020 10:18PM

Happy Valentine's Day to you, too, my amor!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 09:09PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Happy Valentine's Day to you, too, my amor!

Y usted mi vida.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 13, 2020 11:53PM

I wish bloviators like Michio Kaku would just go away.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 10:05AM

This Michio Kaku is over my head with his type two civilization talk, But I would say that the earth is big and beautiful with lots of resources so go ahead and do what you want, The population is increasing dramatically and that's fine! Despite the global warming narrative the snow pack is great this year. So go ahead and use all the water you want.

America is also actually energy independent now, first time in many many years. Back when I was in public school I remember that the intellectual scientists (the coneheads) said that America was doomed! we would never be energy independent and that we needed the Arab oil, because we were going to run out.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:26PM

Ah, the old "how can there be global warming, it is still snowing" narrative that James Inhofe is so fond of.

The earth's population is not rising dramatically. It was in the mid 20th century. In the 1970s, we added a billion people in 12 years. Had that rate of increase kept up, we'd be adding a billion people about every 8 years now. Thankfully the birthrate has been dropping like a rock, and just in time.

The population is rising because we have a lot of young people who are still in their child bearing years. The actual number of infants has been steady-state for a couple decades now, and is expected to stay that way. the increase in future population will be in the 40-60, 60-80, and 80+ groups as the overall age profile becomes more rectangular rather than christmas tree shaped. The book Factfulness by Hans Rosling has a very detailed analysis. I highly recommend it - the entire book.

Yep, scientists were wrong on "peak oil". They didn't see fracking coming. That only changes the dates. the amount of oil in the ground is still finite. It will eventually run low.

Scientists also didn't see nuclear energy coming, nor radio, nor the Big Bang, There's a whole bunch of things they didn't know about until they did. That doesn't mean ignoring what they know now is a good idea because they might turn out to be wrong. Possible?? Yeah. A good bet? Not hardly.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:33PM

Science is about test and measurement. Sure you can use scientific data to make educated guesses but the future is very hard to predict. I’ve been hearing about mankind’s demise my whole life. The Russians and nukes were going to destroy us. A new ice age would destroy us. A population explosion would destroy us. An asteroid would destroy us. A super volcano would destroy us. Global warming would destroy us in ten years. Climate change will destroy us in 14 years. Y2K will destroy us. The Mayan colander says we will be destroyed in 2012. A mass coronal ejection from the sun will destroy us.

People love it. Lot’s of money and political power is gained by preaching doom. So far we have kept going so take it with a grain of salt.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 06:50AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 10:09AM

I've got plenty of beer so I'll be OK.

Date: February 15, 2020 10:20AM

I'm still hoping for the 8 foot tall, baby-eating, bodice-ripping, space alien spiders, so we can go down swinging!

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 03:52PM

We destroy plants everything else. Why not ourselves, too.

Date: February 15, 2020 10:00PM

Topper Wrote:
> We destroy plants everything else. Why not
> ourselves, too.

Seems like plants are doing just fine.
It's the humans we should be concerned about.
We're the newcomers here.
the 15 or now 16 others species including this Ghost Species, besides Homo Sapiens Sapiens, are all hybrids of other species. WE're all mutts, even the Africans, which I've figured had to be the case all along, since our predecessor, Homo Sapiens Idaltu, co-existed with all 16 of them in Africa over the past 300,000 years, before they became us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.