Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:00PM

There was an article in WaPo this week about how harassment has been ticking up in schools, and one of the examples they give is of ethnic slurs in Utah schools.

And there was a racial motivated attack on a black LDS missionary in Payson this week. Six guys, hooded, so this was not a spur of the moment attack of opportunity. The black missionary (from Panama) was kicked and beaten. His companion was untouched.

So not only do we have polygamy as the fruits of Mormonism, we have a justification for racism. The gifts that keep on giving.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/lds-missionary-assaulted-in-payson-police-investigating-attack-as-racially-motivated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:26PM

Well, that's what happens when the church keeps sending unprepared missionaries into dangerous, third-world s***hole places like Payson. We see it time and time again.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:39PM

Excuse me for a moment while I roll on the floor and laugh my ass off.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 05:15PM

Yeah, that was a good one.

Unfortunately...

Posted by: CirrusVortex ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:30AM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:40PM

Is this red-neck paradise of the greater Provo valley?

Here's the street view of where the attack occurred.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0469284,-111.7309451,3a,75y,60.84h,86.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sE3BLfFqTLqj5r-E9vkjeRg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm curious as to why the Caucasian partner didn't intervene.

BTW,
Aren't missionaries still referred as companions?

Why did the journalist report the missionaries as partners?

It seems to be strange coming from Mormonland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 03:48PM by messygoop.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:50PM

I think that the normal world loads a caring, almost romantic, 'parsing' onto the word. Only mormons use 'companions' to describe two same sex people assigned to stick together for a static period of time, living under silly rules that only make sense to TBMs.

Just as the world and TBMs see something different in their minds when they hear the word 'underwear'.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:52PM

One thing is certain...

Brigham Young is pleased.

Date: February 14, 2020 05:26PM

That is an awesomely good analysis, EOD.

(I am referring to the one about 'companion' vs 'partner').

(2 sentences, 2 edits - ha)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 05:27PM by Nightingale.

Date: February 14, 2020 05:25PM

How scary for the missionary. He must be amazing if he could single-handedly defend himself from further harm and get the attackers to flee.

He must be shocked to endure such an incident in the US, especially in Utah. Maybe he expected to have a good mission in the home of JS and BY. This is the Place. The place for what though.

Hope the police find all the creeps and they all have to pay heavily for such an appalling crime.

I wonder if they were focused only on the fact of their target being black or if him being a missionary played into it at all. If the latter, you'd think they would have attacked both comps. I wonder if the other comp spent the time praying. Whether he did or not, it is likely to form a faith-promoting story now for the entire mission in that the missionary escaped visible irreparable harm. (Although who could blame him if he develops PTSD or other sequelae from such a frightening incident).

Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 10:18PM

A Hispanic immigrant friend of mine's 11 year old boy has been told on several occasions to "speak English because this is America!" by some of his elementary school classmates in Utah County. They've only been here a year and a half and he speaks fairly well but is still learning.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 10:51PM

It'll be interesting to hear how the scumbags excuse themselves when/if they're apprehended and indicted. Will they blame it drugs? "anger management issues?" "childhood trauma?"

How about they're just plain evil scumbags?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 10:54PM

Maybe they should change the hat style in the temple.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 11:16PM

Nice.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 11:47PM

More often than not, there is more to the story. The church is notorious for not presenting all the facts. After all the missionary represents the image of the church and perhaps there's some details about improper missionary conduct.

To be clear, I am in no way condoning any violence against the missionaries nor am I defending a bunch of thugs attacking the Panamanian.

One day at lunch with my colleagues, a guy mentioned that the Mormons kept coming around and that they were not giving up their quest to teach their discussions. He made it very clear that he had his beliefs and he asked them to stop coming around. Well, the missionaries made it a point to come by to see his wife while he was at work. He was furious, if not boiling over. He went so far as to make a sign saying that Mormon elders were not allowed to enter his gated-fenced property. It worked and they finally got the point.

No, he was unaware that I had previously been a member.

Posted by: onewayjay ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 11:56PM

What kind of yellow coward is his companion?
He didn't try to stop the attack?

The jerk should be castrated and sent home, he has no need of anything related to being a man.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 03:46PM

Well aren’t you the judgmental one. Any other parts of the Bill of Rights you consider to be optional besides the bit about due process and cruel and unusual punishment?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire attack took less than 15 seconds. Knock him off his bike, kick him a few times and run off.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: February 16, 2020 10:14PM

BOJ, no, it’s worse than that...he wants to castrate the missionary’s COMPANION. When I first read his comment, I couldn’t think of what to say to someone who would even imagine such a thing...even if it was meant as hyperbole...so I just skipped saying anything at the time. Thank you for pointing out the disgusting thought process that created this “solution”in his mind. I still can’t get myself to respond to Onewayjay, thanks again for your comment.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 01:28AM

Six against two? Even if both missionaries were trained martial artists, they would have a difficult time defending against that.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 01:32PM

I got attacked on my Mission by a gang of thugs in a rough part of an inner city in Melbourne Australia.
We pulled up to a stop sign on our bikes and the thugs started calling us "Mormons, Bloody Mormons". My companion was a Maori rugby player with a black belt in Karate and didn't take any shit from anybody and gave it right back. That pissed them off and when the light turned green I took off and my companion stayed behind. One kid ran after me and took a swing at me on my bike and connected with my head, while I kicked him in the gut. I kept going, but my companion jumped on the dude who hit me and proceeded to beat the shit out of him. I had to pull him off of the guy who punched me in the head before he got stabbed by another thug with a knife. I managed to talk the dude out of stabbing my companion, but he stabbed our tires instead. This whole scene happened 2 blocks from our apartment and when we went and told our Mission President what happened he said, "Who won?"
I was like, "Sure as hell not Jesus."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 03:49PM

Hard to believe none of the attackers was Mormon.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: February 15, 2020 05:29PM

Interesting how TSCC's statement includes both men, when the "companion" was not even targeted. I cannot say that I'm surprised though...

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: February 17, 2020 10:28AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.