Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 02:06PM

Digital only. So, unless you can download and save or screenshot the whole thing, they can erase any parts and later claim that "we never taught that".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 02:27PM

A Redditor has already posted that he has archived the original, so that changes can be documented. I'm sure he is not the only one.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 02:38PM

stillanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Digital only. So, unless you can download and save
> or screenshot the whole thing, they can erase any
> parts and later claim that "we never taught that".

Per the director of the correlation department

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/2/18/21142831/mormon-church-new-handbook-instructions-changes-latter-day-saints-lds

"The digital-only nature of the new handbook makes it more flexible, because it can be updated easily and frequently."

“And that means, in a phrase, that the church is true and living. It can change,” Elder Perkins said. “Having a handbook that is largely digitally delivered allows us to update it as new revelation is received as the church goes in new directions as part of its worldwide growth.”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 19, 2020 03:44PM

Hahaha,

“...and when we’re embarrassed about some of the content and have to hurry up and hide something we’ve done, because didn’t see THAT! coming!!!

Date: February 19, 2020 05:26PM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/02/19/byu-appears-remove

"Brigham Young University appears to have quietly deleted the online section of its strict Honor Code titled “Homosexual Behavior,” which banned students and staff from “all forms of physical intimacy” between members of the same sex."

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 08:58PM

[|] Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/02/19/b
> yu-appears-remove
>
> "Brigham Young University appears to have quietly
> deleted the online section of its strict Honor
> Code titled “Homosexual Behavior,” which
> banned students and staff from “all forms of
> physical intimacy” between members of the same
> sex."

This seems important. I would like to hear what others think of this. Since the hetero intimacy ban remains, why remove homosexual intimacy ban?

Date: February 20, 2020 09:03PM

For starters, BYUs honor code prohibited same sex couples from holding hands or kissing, but did not prohibit opposite sex couples from engaging in those activities.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 11:55AM

As far as I can tell from the articles on the topics, those activities are still banned, they just don't want the publicity of implicitly stating it.

Several teachers told their students that it was now OK to hold hands and even kiss their partners... Only for the leaders to jump in and say, "Who said that? The 'moral code' still exists. We still get to define morality here!"

The students are obviously not happy about this.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 02:39PM

Exactly. This is all about public image for the school. They don't want to be shunned for their homophobia the way they were shunned for their racism by the collegiate sports and an enlightened public.

Nothing has changed. The just find it easier to weasel their way out of things if their homophobia isn't printed on the page.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 20, 2020 08:28PM

My question is why? Why are they making all these changes? Legal challenges? Loss of members is finally making an impression?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 01:42AM

They are only making changes to what they say. They will keep on doing the same things as before.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 10:16AM

I'm speculating that Rusty is allowing his longtime buddy, Oaks to make some changes that Oaks has been desiring. I realize that it's more fun to guess about the Wendy-Sheri influence, but the rewording of the same crappola wreaks of Oaks' handiwork.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 10:17AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 21, 2020 10:48AM

Why do all the inspired works of the Mormons church need to be constantly rewritten?

I was always taught that the the bishop was inspired by God and the HG themselves. So, I found the whole need for a handbook thing a little odd.

Perhaps it's just me, but I like my inspiration to be a little more accurate--spot on even.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 01:49PM

What if I just don't care?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.