Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 12:29PM

And I've never been sicker in my life. This is day 12 and while some things are better (haven't had a fever in days; finally able to eat a tiny bit of solid food), I still can't really get out of bed. I can deal with most any of the symptoms except the bronchial spasms. Not being able to breathe in is so awful.

Anyone else have this and how long did it take for you to get over the spasms?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 01:28PM

I had it for a week in December. I had the fever for a few days, but bronchial stuff lasted a few weeks, but progressively got better. My doc gave me some Symbicort (inhaler) which worked amazing whenever I was getting a spasm. If your pulmonary condition isn't getting better, you have to be really careful not to get pneumonia. I am lucky that I did not develop pneumonia. I think I caught the virus at the gym, which is like an incubator.

Date: February 22, 2020 01:31PM

I got the inhaler too, but find it's so hard to get the medicine into my lungs. Whenever I try, they spasm. But I know I'm not getting pneumonia, so I'm hopeful about that. I have no idea where I got is as I'm mostly a homebody, but it could have been as random as the grocery store.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 02:13PM

Man, what a bummer. But it makes me feel better about not working out. Maybe now you will have an immunity to Coronavirus.

Date: February 22, 2020 02:36PM

I just read that more people have died of Influenza B thank Influenza A, but it's much more rare.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 03:15PM

Did you have this year’s flu shot ?
Just wondering.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 03:20PM

Good grief. Now the anti-vaxxers are going to start spewing their vomit.

Date: February 22, 2020 03:23PM

Yes, I did. I get it every year.

Date: February 22, 2020 03:31PM

I’m not an anti-Vaxer, I was just curious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2020 03:31PM by kathleen.

Date: February 22, 2020 03:47PM

I didn't say you are an anti-vaxxer. My point is that just bringing up the subject of vaccinations brings them out of the woodwork.

Date: February 23, 2020 01:56AM

Thanks, Dave. For a minute there, I thot you bite-ed me.

Glad you’re well now, Ted. Take care, Devoted. I’m sorry you’re so terribly sick. Don’t be afraid to go to a hospital.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 03:57PM

Not me, I’ll just drink diluted bleach.

Date: February 23, 2020 01:39PM

first you must eat a tide pod.

Date: February 22, 2020 03:26PM

You're lucky to be alive.

Date: February 22, 2020 03:40PM

I've occasionally thought I might not make it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 03:51PM

Poor thing.
The flu is dangerous and not any fun at all. Rest and recover!

Date: February 22, 2020 04:13PM

Thanks.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 22, 2020 11:23PM

I had Hong Kong A in 1970. Thought I was gonna cash in my chips.

Date: February 23, 2020 09:54AM

My husband had it in Granada Spain a few years back. He wasn't sure he'd make it either. Glad he had immunity so he could nurse me. Last night, I could feel myself exiting it's grip. Now I believe the rest of the recovery will take time, but I'm no longer in the death grip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2020 09:55AM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 06:17PM

I've never been that sick since (1970), thankfully.

Date: February 24, 2020 07:44PM

What's amazing about these flu viruses is that they will strike down a healthy male in the prime of life. Glad you've not had anything like it since. Like having you around!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 23, 2020 10:28AM

the flu vaccination, pneumovax, or shingles, etc. I did have shingles. I haven't had the flu that I know of. My sister got the flu shot for years as she teaches school and she'd get the flu every year. She stopped getting the shot and she hasn't had it for 3 years. I just choose not to.

I did vaccinate my children and, at the time they were young, they were only giving kids with cancer, etc., the chicken pox vaccine. The chicken pox were hell.

My grandmother had whooping cough as a 1-year-old and went deaf.

I just choose not to get these as an adult.

I have to say I've been sick for over a month now, but it isn't so bad that I can't work (typing). I am extremely fatigued and I have a cough, etc. I'm debating going to the doctor this week. I'm far from as sick as Devoted Exmo is. Maybe it is the CBD oil I'm taking. I doubt it.

As an adult, I get to choose whether I get the vaccinations.

I used to get strep all the time when my kids were in school. Since they graduated many years ago, I never get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2020 10:29AM by cl2.

Date: February 24, 2020 07:45PM

Amazing what the kids bring home. And once you're not in that loop, amazing how you just don't catch much.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 23, 2020 12:03PM

I had it last month. Went to the doc because it was the first time I’d had a high fever in about 20 years and couldn’t breathe Thought it was bronchitis. I’d had a flu shot. It came back positive for influenza B. The inhaler helped immensely. By the time I had to travel for work a week later the cough was gone but took several weeks to really feel like I hadn’t just been beaten up.

Date: February 24, 2020 07:45PM

So glad you came out the other side! You're tough!

Date: February 23, 2020 12:28PM

Is Tamiflu given any more at the early onset of flu cases ? If so, did it help any of you ?

Date: February 23, 2020 12:49PM

I didn't get seen early enough to make a dose of tamiflu effective. I was out of town for the week I came down with the flu. By the time I was home, it was too late.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 02:58PM

My wife and I both had it, and are just now getting past it. All said, it took about three weeks for it to run its course. Even when we weren't vomiting, we felt like we could at any minute. My wife slept with a bucket on her side of the bed, and even then she was unable to avoid vomiting in bed.

I had it a little better than my wife, but I was still miserable for most of the duration. The pits of it was that I would feel better for a day or two before symptoms would surge back with a vengeance.

I had a flu shot, my wife didn't. She had it worse than I did, but she's always felt that effects of illness harder. Other years, she would have shots and I wouldn't, and I would still fare better than her. We're probably not a good sample set for judging the efficacy of flu shots.

Date: February 24, 2020 07:47PM

Oh good god. You and your wife had it so much worse. So glad you've come through. Thanks for your insights. Makes me hopeful!

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 05:00PM

Study hard and maybe you will progress to Influenza A?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 05:05PM

I'm glad that you have turned a corner, Devoted Exmo. I hope that you continue to recover well.

I can only remember getting the flu twice in the last 35 years, which is something of a miracle considering that I work around young children all day long. The flu has torn through some schools in my area, and left others largely alone. I get vaccinated some years and not others. I got the vaccine last year but not this year. I'm hoping my luck holds out.

Date: February 24, 2020 06:11PM

Thanks, like GregS noted, you feel like you're turning the corner and then it surges back.

I ended up in the hospital today and was finally diagnosed with pneumonia. The best part was the nebulizer tx. That really helped.

But now, I'm on an antibiotic, a steroid and codene. Hopefully, this will actually turn this around.

Man, this was a bad one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 06:12PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 29, 2020 11:03AM

Oh no! I'm in my early 60s, so a pneumonia shot might be on the horizon for me. It sounds like you are getting a good combination of medications. There have been times over the years when a short course of steroids has really bailed me out of misery.

Date: February 29, 2020 02:09PM

I feel like the steroids were really essential to my improvement.

Date: February 24, 2020 07:34PM

Years ago, our doc gave us an Rx for Tamiflu to have and to hold in case of flu. Allegedly lasts ten years when stored in cool dry conditions. Never had to use it. Probably time to dispose of it, and I will ask for a new Rx.

Now, I'm afraid to be without it.

Precious few trips out and about.

Glad you got the nebulizer. Take care.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 24, 2020 07:40PM

sounds awful, lots of my co-workers have had that hacking cough, but it seems to be ebbing now, I'm not noticing new sicknesses as much. I got the flu shot late in the year (Jan) so I think that's what helped me, if you get the shot early it helps for the earlier strains but is less effective late winter. But if you get the shot later it helps now.

Date: February 24, 2020 07:46PM

Good to know. Dr. said that all the flus came later than expected this year, wreaking havoc.

Date: February 25, 2020 12:30PM

"Sprouts'" grand opening is tomorrow in our city which has historically lacked good shopping.

You won't see us in that crowd.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:53PM

Oh, no. I hope for your full recovery.

Date: February 29, 2020 10:16AM

Thanks, Don. This is the sickest I've ever been before. I am now getting over the pneumonia part and feeling like I'm on the mend.

I do wonder, since there are no real tests for the Coronavirus, and I wasn't tested for anything, whether or not what I had was the Coronavirus.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.