Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 12:18PM

my theory / hypothesis will prolly never be proven or disproven by research, but I think it's believable.

Mormons live a very one-focused life, nearly everything is centered around ChurchCo & their membership.

Given the authoritarian nature of ChurchCo & the socialization that it fosters, it's natural for people's self-worth, their identity is largely dependent on their church status, secondarily with family, then careers, neighbors, etc.

agreement or discussion on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 02:08PM

I agree, but I never felt or believed that no matter how hard I tried, how much success I had when working with others that it was never good enough. I always felt robbed of praise.

And believe me, I had plenty of leaders who told me so.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 25, 2020 02:47PM

Although, like messygoop, I was not one of those. Our family was "the fringe element" (as per the mormon royalty list somewhere on this web site).

Just go over and look at fb. Do you have any fb friends who are mormon? Not all of them are always seeking acknowledgement and approval, but so very many are. My daughter does. The ward was so excited to have one of our family back (because of her father and how much they all still love him), that they have praised her to no end and everyone LOVES her and hate it when she goes to Alaska. They all write her and some even got visit her. Then she comes back and they try to get her to move into the ward (which she does). She hates any other ward she ever attends as they don't "know" who she is. She posts things on fb about the scriptures she read that day. If my daughter didn't get the attention she does from the mormons, she would be out by now.

And all the people tell me how wonderful my daughter is and I think, "Ummm, and it was me, the heathen who raised her."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2020 02:48PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.