Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:25PM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-policy-forbids-kids-saying-190437519.html

Students not allowed to say "no" when asked to dance. Seems par for the course in Utah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:30PM

Hobson wrote on Facebook. “I’m not going to quietly stand by while my daughter and all of her classmates are being wrapped up in rape culture. No way.”

Yup, it’s Utah.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:31PM

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 03:36PM

These kids are being taught that “no” means “yes.”

What could possibly go wrong?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 04:22PM

Another slave species forcible interference with the rights of another human being.
This is just wrong and if I had a child in that school I would make an issue of right to choose!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Is this only the one school or is it statewide?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 04:25PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 04:37PM

The article mentions the name of the school featured in the article and mentioned that another is doing likewise at the end. So it seems several are doing it or planning on it. Don't think its a statewide mandate though.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 04:25PM

I would usually say yes to anyone who asked me, but then there were those who asked me and I should have said no. At the singles ward dances, I had a good friend who would hurry and ask me if some strange guy was coming to ask me to dance.

I'm sorry, but there are times you need to NOT dance with someone no matter what. There are many I shouldn't have danced with and many I took off and hid so I didn't have to dance with someone.

Does this mean I have to say yes to anyone who asks me out? To anyone who asks me to marry them? To anyone who asks to have sex with me?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 04:35PM

in b 4 "no" = "mebe" ~

Posted by: anonymous today ( )
Date: February 27, 2020 05:08PM

Situation in public schools is dicey.

My school has participated in anti-bully programs. Part of the "accepted" definition of students bullying other students focuses on exclusion, in the straight-forward conclusion that if the group excludes any student from belonging, then that is a form of bullying. There's a wide support of this idea (think of popular students snubbing others because of looks, clothing, lack of money, race etc). However, how do you balance it when most of us believe in the right to befriend who you choose?

I'm not defending the actions of the school one bit. I think the better approach would be to offer square dancing through PE (with the option of parental withdrawal if a student feels uneasy). Partners are rotated throughout the practice and there is limited physical contact.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.