Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 04:59PM

In my opinion the panic reaction to the virus.
The panic mongers are at it again.
It happened after Pearl Harbor when loyal native born citizens of Japanese ancestry were summarily imprisoned for the duration of the war.
It happened in the 1918 flu panic and it is starting up again.
MARK MY WORDS

ALL RIGHT I CAN ACCEPT THE RESPONSES THIS IS HOW WE EXCHANGE IDEAS THANK ALL OF YOU

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2020 06:49PM by thedesertrat1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 05:03PM

How many of your relatives will die ?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 05:04PM

1918 was hardly a "panic." It was 50 million dead. Is that acceptable to you?

Is worrying about 30-60 million dead now an overreaction?

ETA: Do you realize that the total number of dead in all wars the United States has ever fought is less than one million?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2020 05:08PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 05:15PM

Action needs to be taken
total panic is not going to change anything
It is all right if you all disagree with me

Date: March 15, 2020 05:17PM

There's definitely panic in the stores, which is unfortunate, but I think the governmental response is too little and too late.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 05:45PM

"Total panic" (your words) would be people going into stores with guns drawn. This is not even remotely total panic. This is a clerk at the TP shelf telling people they can only take two packs.

Who is being ridiculous?

Date: March 15, 2020 05:34PM

More people died of the Spanish Flu (50 million) than in all of WW I (40 million). A certain amount of panic about that flu outbreak seems normal to me.

In WW II, 420,000 Americans were killed out of a base population of 131 million. That's about three tenths of one percent.

If only 30% of current Americans get infected and the death rate is 1% (both those numbers are a little on the conservative side), that will be on par with WW II US deaths percentage wise. I think that is cause for concern.

But yeah, what's with the toilet paper hoarding? That is ridiculous.

Factoids I came across while looking stuff up: About 2.5% of the entire world population died in WWI, and about 3% in WWII. That's a lot of people over a 30 year period.

Date: March 15, 2020 05:44PM

We like to die with clean asses.

Date: March 15, 2020 05:46PM

And I must admit there has been a sudden proliferation of a**h**es, so maybe it's justified. :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 06:04PM

I was in a line at Sprouts this morning at 6:45 AM, prior to their opening at 7:00 AM.

Absolutely no one in that line was in any sort of "panic." There was no cutting into line, and when the doors of Sprouts were opened at 7:00 AM, everyone filed into the store with no rush, got a basket (the shopping carts were still locked up in the shopping cart area outside), and began shopping--reasonably and politely, with no grabbing or cutting anyone off.

Actually, this morning reminded me of the day when JFK was assassinated. I had to go to the grocery store that day (it was a necessity), and everyone on the streets outside, and also inside the store, was orderly and polite--and virtually totally silent (albeit, with silent tears running down a fair number of cheeks).

Even the toddlers, who obviously realized that something unusual and very serious was going on, were quiet (as in: silent). People said the absolute minimum necessary to pay for their groceries, etc., but the feeling from everyone--both inside the shopping center and also outside, on the streets--was serious, orderly, polite, and audibly [and abnormally] distinctly quiet.

This is Los Angeles.

Your local mileage may vary.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 06:52PM

During the Spanish flu outbreaks there was very poor means of communication. It was impossible to really have a coordinated response. I can see taking a week or two to get our bearings and hopefully get our testing capacity and ability solidified. Then life has to go on. We will all have yo be as careful and hygienic as we ca be. We need to help each other. We need to still practice social distancing without it meaning isolation. We need to save the doctor and hospital time for those who are most ill. But we will need to live our lives, work our jobs and enjoy our extracurricular activities. People will get sick and some very sick. I’m saying this as a senior with autoimmune problems. It might be what takes me, who knows. But we have to accept it as part of life for awhile. And learn from it.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 06:57PM

I feel the 9/11 type of panic in the air if i could relate it to anything else i have felt.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 09:40PM

Feels similar to 9/11 to me as well, though this time in slow-motion.

Date: March 16, 2020 12:14AM

"STOP BUYING TOILET PAPER." -- David A. Clarke, Jr.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 12:41AM

My Hubby is over 70 and has two of the danger pre existing conditions. We have SEVERAL confirmed cases 15 miles North and 20 miles South and I don't think it bunny hopped. Yeah, I am worried. So far, he is not working from home but other than that I am doing all I can to limit his exposure. Having groceries delivered Monday. Worth the $6 to me. Come in the door, don't touch anything and WASH YOUR HANDS. Then I clean the knobs.

Our dear friend in assisted living is now on lockdown. Today was the last day of eating in the dining room. From now on all she can do is take her little dog out to piddle, sanitize, and go back to her room. I have a load of VERY carefully handled/Lysoled things to drop off to her outside the outer door but they may not let us do that soon.

No, I am not panicking but I am being damn careful and prepared.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 01:13AM

OP, please see Dave the Atheist's post, "Killer Flu."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 02:33AM

I think that people are concerned about two things. One is that they will be forced to stay at home for long periods of time, and thus will need more food and supplies than normal. Another is that supply chains could experience serious disruptions (which IMO is unlikely, but you never know.) What we are experiencing now is uncharted territory, so in a lot of ways I understand the human urge to gather needed resources in anticipation of future hardship.

It should be noted that during WWII people had ration coupon books for certain items.

Posted by: touchstone ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 03:05AM

This is new territory for all of us. We're trying to respond effectively, and some folks feels "Better to overreact than underreact." For me, there are two different categories of reaction-- one being hoarding and the like, the other being all the "I don't want to get infected/infect others." Hoarding is somewhat-understandable panic selfishness. Efforts not to be infected or infect others are where I share the sentiment "Better to overreact than underreact." While I am a healthy bloke not likely to get anything worse than a nasty flu experience if infected, I tremble at the thought of subsequently harming my friends who are septuagenarian, or cancer survivors, or the like. We're all connected. Please, share your surplus TP, but don't shake hands while doing so.

Date: March 16, 2020 03:26AM

+1

Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 08:32AM

Please consider the facts from Italy:

Over 1K died in less than a month, starting from very low numbers.

41% of those in hospital in Italy have been UNDER 65.

People in their thirties, healthy people, have died. That is on record.

A kill rate of 1% does not sound much until you increase the figures. If 500K get infected, 5K die. A million, 10K. 10 mil, 100K. 100 mil, 1 million. And if 200 million are infected, 2 million die.

1% is the low end estimate. Many say it is 3% so multiply all those by a factor of three. 500 K infected produces 15K dead. 200 million infected produces 6 million dead.

This disease is highly infectious unfortunately, meaning it spreads more quickly. In a recent US conference of 170 delegates, 80 became infected. And you can have transmit the illness for two weeks without knowing you have it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 08:46AM

I spend a lot of time at home anyway and have worked at home for years. I have more work than I want. I have been getting some food. My boyfriend has quite a bit, too. I don't have a lot of toilet paper, but my boyfriend gave me some, BUT my son's boss lady (who considers him her son) told him that she will sell him anything they use for preparing their food at cost if we need it. It is a restaurant whose food I love.

BUT what about people touching your food? Having it delivered and someone else has touched it? That all doesn't make sense to me. I still haven't mailed my aunt the movie I bought her. Not sure if I should. None of us are ill. None of us have been exposed. No cases in Cache Valley that we know of. Both my boyfriend's company and my husband's job (hospital) have been checking temperatures, etc., and they all use hand sanitizer anyway and have for years.

I guess I should get some work done today. I took yesterday off. Plenty of time to walk dogs. I walk dogs in places away from people.

My daughter's mgmt in Fairbanks, where the bus drivers for the season have been arriving and they need to be trained, have decided right now to send them back home. Of note, the drivers pay their own plane fare up there, but if they have to go home, the company will pay. Everyone is up in arms because they feel the bus drivers should be trained. My daughter has 4 TV stations and internet isn't great so Netflix and Disney aren't working well, but they have MANY movies, all 100 or more of which they've seen. She is wondering why she made this decision!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2020 08:55AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.