Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 08:20PM

I would like to find other blogs, about various subjects (that are positive) or about humor and hobbies, etc.

I love RFM, but would like to branch out. That's all.

I nave none to recommend to you, and I don't know where to find them.

What are your favorites? Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 08:47PM

There are no other blogs

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 09:08PM

All the other blogs have succumbed to the coronavirus. :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 09:10PM

All other blogs have inferior potassium.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 09:15PM

All your blogs are belong to us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2020 09:16PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 09:16PM

No one can offer any valid help?

The answer to your question is I'm 99 percent sure yes. Richard Packham routinely links to his website/blog, as does Steve Benson, and over the years I've seen tons of people reference other blogs or webpages; RFM is a good source of information but it is not the only good source of information.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 09:26PM

As if we had other hobbies beside RFM. If we had a life, you think we'd be here?

[Runs and hides]

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 11:20AM

midwestanon Wrote:

> The answer to your question is I'm 99 percent sure
> yes. Richard Packham routinely links to his
> website/blog, as does Steve Benson,...

I was told that I was "grandfathered in" when RfM changed the rules to forbid references to other blogs and websites. But that seems to have eased up the last year or so, as I see a lot of such links now.

Date: March 18, 2020 06:53AM

Richard Packham--may I have a link please? I enjoy your posts very much, but have missed out on your website.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 03:05PM

http://www.packham.n4m.org/

A lot of great information!

Date: March 15, 2020 10:06PM

Ha-ha-ha!

Maybe all of us will have an easier time "isolating", because we're used to it! The benefits of being shunned all these years.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 11:57PM

It's only the second day of this isolation, and I'm lonely, already. I also tried to find other blogs, but everyone is blogging about the virus.

I found a blog of a former Mormon yammering endlessly about her relationship with a married man, and several blogs about politics.

I don't like the talk shows lately, either. Up until now, those were good substitutes for the old-time conversations I miss.

I just thought I'd come one here and complain with you, Forestpal. We need to think of something else--anything else. I'm actually in a house full of books! Time to start reading some of them, or re-reading the best ones! I have a piano, but that bothers other people.

Call someone on the phone. Text. E-mail. Write a diary about happy times in your life.

I hope someone has suggestions, here. Reddit requires people to "Like" you, which to me seems judgmental.

Maybe you need to take a deep breath, and plunge into Facebook!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 12:32AM

Speaking of FB, if you need some happy check out ARC, Animal Rescue Craft Guild. Lots of pics of AU animals and you learn a lot too. Did you know that Flying Foxes are quite intelligent and affectionate? They even get jealous! And wombats are just amazing. They helped other animals through the fire. They have armored butts and poop cubes!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 01:20AM

I enjoy Reddit, with it's numerous subReddits.

And you don't have to 'like' anything, plus you can cast 'down votes', which I find gratifying.

And did you know that the s/LatterDaySaints subreddit bans and removes anything not supportive of mormonism? Zero free agency!

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 01:25AM

Sensitive, inspirational, informative. Links to thoughtful work of poetry, philosophy, art. It's my favorite.

https://www.brainpickings.org

Here's a sample:

BY MARIA POPOVA

“Today, Another Universe”: Jane Hirshfield Reads Her Stunning Perspectival Poem of Consolation by Calibration

"It is our biological destiny to exist — and then not. Each of us eventually returns their stardust to the universe, to be constellated into some other ephemeral emissary of spacetime. Eventually, our entire species will go the way of the dinosaurs and the dodo and the Romantics; eventually, our home star will live out its final moments in a wild spin before collapsing into a white dwarf, taking with it everything we have ever known — Beethoven’s Ode to Joy and the guillotine and the perfect Fibonacci sequence of the pine cone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2020 01:32AM by Twinker.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 02:38AM

Thank you for posting that. Here is one article that looks thought provoking.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/12/20/hannah-arendt-origins-of-totalitarianism-loneliness-isolation/

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 02:49AM

Thanks for the comprehensive list! I had found a few online, but was unaware that there were so many others.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 11:51AM

I blog, but I moved where I was blogging... ;)

Posted by: A New Name ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 01:23AM

There was in the place where we lived an unusual excitement on the subject of religious blogs. It commenced with By Common Consent, but soon became general among all the hosting services. Indeed, the whole Internet seemed affected by it, and great multitudes read the different religious Blogs, which created no small stir and division amongst the people, some crying, “Login, here!” and others, “Login, there!” Some were contending for Wheat & Tares, some for Main Street Plaza, and some for The Exponent.

For, notwithstanding the great love which the readers to these different blogs expressed at the time of their login, and the great zeal manifested by the respective hosting services, who were active in getting up and promoting this extraordinary scene of religious blogging, in order to have everybody reading, as they were pleased to call it, let them read what blog they pleased; yet when the users began to logon, some to one blog and some to another, it was seen that the seemingly good feelings of both the authors and the users were more pretended than real; for a scene of great confusion and bad feeling ensued—author contending against author, and user against user; so that all their good feelings one for another, if they ever had any, were entirely lost in a strife of words and a contest about opinions.

During this time of great excitement my mind was called up to serious reflection and great uneasiness; but though my feelings were deep and often poignant, still I kept myself aloof from all these blogs, though I read several pages as often as occasion would permit. In process of time my mind became somewhat partial to Wheat & Tares, and I felt some desire to follow them; but so great were the confusion and strife among the different blogs, that it was impossible for a person young as I was, and so unacquainted with computers and blogging, to come to any certain conclusion who was right and who was wrong.

While I was laboring under the extreme difficulties caused by the contests of these blogs, I was one day reading the Internet for Dummies, which reads: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of Google, that giveth to all men liberally, and filter not; and it shall be given him.

Never did any book come with more power to the heart of man than this did at this time to mine.

At length I came to the conclusion that I must either remain in darkness and confusion, or else I must do as the book directs, that is, ask of Google. I at length came to the determination to search Google concluding that if it gave search results to them that lacked wisdom, and would give liberally, and not filter, I might venture.

So, in accordance with this, my determination to ask of Google, I retired to the computer to make the attempt. It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring of twenty hundred and eighteen. It was the first time in my life that I had searched google.

After I had sat at my desk, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I typed in “what is the one true blog”, and hit enter, when immediately my computer was seized upon by some virus which entirely overcame the screen, and had such an astonishing influence over the operating system as to bind my keyboard so that I could not type. Multiple pop-up windows gathered around the screen, and it seemed to me for a time as if the computer was doomed to sudden destruction. But, exerting all my powers to call upon Symantec to deliver me out of the power of this malware, which had seized upon my computer, and at the very moment when I was ready to reboot and abandon my computer to destruction, just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a Windows logo exactly in the middle of my screen.

It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the virus which held my computer bound. When the computer rebooted, I saw two google results, whose ranking and content defy all description, directly on the screen. I clicked on one of them, and it pointing to the other site.

My object in going to inquire of the Google was to know which of all the blogs was right, that I might know which to read. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of the screen, so as to be able to type, then I asked google which of all the blogs was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should read.

The first link (an LDS.org link thanks to SEO) said that I must read none of them, for they were all wrong; and the next paragraph said that all their words were an abomination, that those authors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their keyboards, but their comments are far from me”
It again forbade me to read any of them; but to start my own LDS.org blog, the “One True Blog” upon the face of the internet!”

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 01:27AM

This is brilliant!

Date: March 18, 2020 01:31AM

Loved it!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 01:37AM

I read faster than you.

:P

Date: March 18, 2020 02:16AM

I took the time to savor it.

"Glug, glug, glug" has it's time and place...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2020 02:16AM by elderolddog.

Date: March 20, 2020 12:58AM

Thank you for your responses, and for the One True Blog!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.