Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 08:22AM

Over the last few days, I have been cutting down social contact. Yesterday, I didn't meet anyone, although we spoke over the phone. I don't use the bus now, I walk.

One of the best ways to slow down this virus is to avoid large gatherings of people, including supermarkets, bars, cafés, sports games etc. This way, you have a reduced chance of catching CV or passing it on to someone (since you can have it for two weeks and pass it on to people without knowing it).

Go walking. Read books. Listen to music. Just be anti-social for a while, and it will help. It has in South Korea.

I've kept up a Mormon habit - food storage - and I'm glad I did. It's helped.

If we slow down the spread, it makes life easier for the health professionals. Very important to remember.

Please don't buy the media line of "underlying health conditions". Some people in their thirties and forties have died from this and been healthy. Many more in that age range have had to go to hospital in Italy (41% of hospitalized were under 65). A lot of people may have incipient diabetes or high blood pressure and not know it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 10:21AM

Absolutely.

It will get worse, but if we can slow it down, we can help those who need those hospital beds and ventilators.

I have quarantined my husband into the house, or just driving my nephew around. He has a heart condition, COPD and diabetes.

We are all practicing social distancing, washing our hands as soon as we get in the door, and disinfecting all of our door handles and knobs daily.

Don't panic (stress lowers your immune system), but be vigilant.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 05:23PM

My Primary Care Provider called and cancelled a non-essential visit for today. I have to say I was disappointed. While I am in a double-barrelled high-risk group (age and pre-existing renal failure), I was very much looking forward just to GETTING OUT.

Since the surgery on my shoulder on 2/27, my dominant arm has been in a sling and I can't do much anyway, but I am getting absolutely STIR-CRAZY with being confined to the house.

I know this is irrational, given how lethal the "Plague" is, but is anybody else getting "cabin fever" and just wanting to GET OUT?? I can't remember being this frantic to escape since I was a little kid, confined with measles.

I have an adult's understanding now, of the dangers of being "out there," but that doesn't help much with the boredom of safe, sterile "social isolation."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 06:28PM

Can you go for a walk outside, Catnip? It was gorgeous in Maryland today. I'm going to take myself out for a longer walk tomorrow if the weather holds up.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 01:41PM

Would you even bother leaving your apartment, and how does social distancing work in a companionship?

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 05:12PM

I'm like a pro social distancer like i have literally been doing this most of my life. Only in the last year have i actually got relaxed and not think everyone wants to assault me. Assaulting people regularly and intimidating them with fear tactics only seems to have been a mormon trait i've been learning and realizing. Its weird as hell that the average joe does not want to assault and intimidate me at first meeting. Strangers actually like me, its been very bizarre how different the non-mormon world is compared to the mormon world. Definitely less anger and violence in the real world. Less intimidation and wanting to control me and my penis activities.

Big lesson is real world is WAY less violent and hateful compared to the mormonism bubble. First book i remember reading was teaching me that it was A-ok to cut off a guys head. The laban story. Right off the bat violence is A-ok and God approves. This lesson was very much frequently repeated in many ways throughout my life. God was way too violent for me and this is where i differed right from a young age. Why is god below me in values i thought to myself. The guy is literally way out of control with the killing and the sex drive with millions of wives. Waaaay out of control.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 06:48AM

This isn't helping my PTSD. I've been having non-stop anxiety attacks, and haven't been able to sleep. I've lost 5 pounds, because I'm afraid to eat up all my food. On Friday, after a minor out-patient hospital treatment, I was frantically scurrying around looking for Toilet paper. I should have gone home and rested, instead of participating in all the panic. I was in pain, which raised the adrenalin in my body, and raised my blood pressure. My heart was pounding, I had difficulty breathing, and the next day I had all the symptoms of a full-blown cold (minus the fever). Coughing, sore throat, my nose was so stuffy that I couldn't breathe, and the lack of sleep and pain and anxiety made me feel like I was going to die--now or later. I'm over 70.

What saved me was knowing that it was mostly in my head, and after bringing home my supply of cough and cold medicines and food and chicken soup and 90 days supply of meds, etc, I knew I had done my best to prepare. But I made the mistake of reading all the news articles about the virus. That day, they said that 40% of the population would get sick, and that 8% of the people my age who got sick would die. I live with my daughter, son-in-law, and all their children. The schools are closed. The children are stir-crazy and upset. How could I possibly keep them out of my refrigerator and food cupboards and microwave and dishes? Knowing that anxiety, stress, high blood pressure and lack of sleep lower the immune system made me even worse.

The only reason I was glad I was "isolated" was that no one saw me freak out. It would not have been good for morale. I breathed into paper bags, paced around the back yard at night, did yoga, tried to meditate, etc. That was two days ago, and the adrenaline is still in my body, waking me up every couple of hours, when I try to sleep. The only thing that worked was to not worry about all those poor sick and frightened people, and dying old people, because there was nothing I could do. I had to block out the news for a while.

To change the perspective:
--Since 60% of the population were predicted to NOT get sick, then the odds are that we won't get sick.
--There are death estimates of 3% and 8% from two different sources, of the death rate for older people. That means 92-97% survival rate. People operate under those odds.
--If we wash our hands, stay 10 feet away, etc, theorectically there is zero chance of getting sick. It takes a lot of the virus, for instance a prolonged personal contact, or kissing, or caring for a sick person without washing your hands after, or putting dirty hands into your mouth, nose, or eyes, to infect you. No one's going to do that, now.
--Definitely the sanitary precautions are habits we need to keep always, for a lifetime, anyway (except for staying 10-feet away from everyone, and doing fun things with a crowd, and hugging your loved ones)
--I'm a germ-phobic hypochondriac, and it's nice to know that others are going to be more careful about spreading diseases.
--The pandemic will end. Either it will go away in its season for a while, or a vaccine will be available, or an anti-flu treatment will be developed, or enough people will become immune.
--Children get through the illness very well! Some have hardly any symptoms at all.
--Their younger parents do well, also. My adult kids are extremely healthy, and can take good care of their little ones.
--All the adult males in my family are set up to work from home, now, and will be able to stay safe and help the moms. My DIL works in a private office, which is safe.
--I have my own bedroom and bathroom, with windows to ventilate. Even if the illness is prolonged because of age, I won't infect anyone else, because I will be careful. My kids can grocery shop, and leave food at my door. I can wash my dishes in my sink before leaving them outside the door.
--I have my own car to drive myself to the doctor if I have to, or to the drive-up pharmacy.
--Amazon, some grocery stores, some drug stores deliver.
--When I calm down, I can read all the books in my room, watch TV, e-mail and facetime with people on the computer. There's a couple of online classes I want to take, if I become calm enough to concentrate.
--Try not to be so VERY ALONE, that you feel lonely, abandoned, or freaked-out. We're all in this together.

Date: March 20, 2020 01:48AM

My sleep cycles have been disrupted, and I had an anxiety attack last night as well. I am a public sector worker, and therefore in somewhat better shape than most, but it's the uncertainty that gets to you.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 09:59AM

I feel for you MotherWhoKnows, what may help is to do some research about anxiety. I did some this morning and learned that what causes these symptoms (pacing heart rate, light headedness, difficulty focusing, choking sensation or dry throat) is that the prefrontal cortex (where short term memory is thought to be located) actually gets overloaded with worry, and our cognition and ability to deal with the task at hand is hampered.--- We choke. There are too many stimuiis happeining for our human condition to know what to do next. It's like a computer that has too many apps running at the same time.

Ours is a biological condition, the answer is to free up the frontal cortex, so that short term memory functions can function more properly.

Certain techniques can help such as breathing regulation. Listening to criticism. Recognizing that an antagonist is attacking our ideas not our bodies.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 20, 2020 01:31AM

I'm sterilizing with ethanol internally.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 20, 2020 01:52AM

Tell us about ethanol.

Date: March 20, 2020 01:52AM

I feel like I am still trying to figure out the concept of social distancing. I haven't been out to shop for a week now. How often should I go out grocery shopping? Should I take advantage of the senior hours? Should I be ordering more online? I know to be conservative about going out, but I'm still trying to get a handle on the appropriate limits.

Anyone else with some thoughts on this?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 20, 2020 02:09AM

I never liked people anyway.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 20, 2020 02:15AM

People ... They're the worst !

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 20, 2020 12:14PM

I’ve socially distanced myself from my boner.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 20, 2020 09:40PM

Hehe...not me, bro...only toy I got left..lol

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 02:27PM

If you live within range of a Costco, check them out online. They have special days and times for seniors. They carry out social distancing in the store & work to make your shopping go as smoothly as possible. I'd say it would be worth getting their membership.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 02:51PM

desertwoman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you live within range of a Costco, check them
> out online. They have special days and times for
> seniors. They carry out social distancing in the
> store & work to make your shopping go as smoothly
> as possible. I'd say it would be worth getting
> their membership.

Spock eyebrows—“Indeed!”

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 20, 2020 09:40PM

Judging by the glut of cars in the Costco and Safeway parking lots this afternoon, there wasn't much social distancing going on there.

Date: March 22, 2020 03:00AM

There was an absurd number of cars at my local Sam's Club. The parking lot was packed. Haven't people already stocked up?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 20, 2020 10:25PM

I've always appreciated posts from MWK.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 11:51PM

You want to know what to do? Social Distancing?

Covid: From 93 infected to 0, what did this Chinese City do to contain the virus?

https://youtu.be/YfsdJGj3-jm

THIS is how to do it properly.

www.covid19.live
Tracker of covid'

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 01:33AM

Wait for it...

a spouse has (knowing/unknowing) the virus & transfers it to the other who has avoided other contacts...

a serious illness results & the end of the marriage is on-track;

Temple Marriage or sealing? Nothing without trust, love, Kindness. This is bound to happen, sooner or later, in the Moridor or otherwise.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 04:18AM

GNPE, Do you mean that you believe people will intentionally expose a spouse to a virus to bring the marriage to an end?

Reminds me of Brigham Young who baptized an already pneumonia-stricken wife in an icy river.

Otherwise, I’m not sure what you mean here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.