Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Birdman ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 02:03PM

It's respiratory. Last time I had a respiratory illness I needed Kleenex not toilet paper. Do people have their ends mixed up! I haven't heard of cases needing toilet paper but I have heard of people needing ventilators.

I saw a guy hauling off a shopping filled to overflowing with TP. I keep wondering what they are going to do when all of this is all over?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 02:07PM

Is toilet paper something that you really want to run out of? Sure, you could tear pages out of a BoM, but think of your plumbing!

Date: March 17, 2020 02:29PM

I don't think buying 50 rolls implies worry - it implies obsession, fear, being reactionary, hoarding, good Mormon values (20 year supply of TP).

Posted by: reallywhy ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 03:12PM

More likely you actually do understand why people would want to ensure a healthy supply of things they don't want to do without when faced with supply chain breakdowns and the potential threat of having their movement restricted, but you prefer to bury your head in the sand and act holier than thou, all the while wiping your bum with your hand.

Forgive me if I don't shake yours. For two reasons.

Date: March 18, 2020 03:09AM

How many cases would you suggest would constitute a "healthy supply"?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 02:09PM

Just got back from grocery shopping at Safeway. No TP in stock. Pasta section ...almost empty...fresh produce, no worries...same with the bakery. Glad my dear wife always kept our bathrooms well provisioned with TP and soap.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 02:09PM

some buy it out of panic, others are trying to sell it to those who are panicking

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 02:51AM

Bingo. Like selling a roll of toilet paper for 10 times its value.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 02:33PM

If Birdman were Birdwoman the situation would be somewhat less perplexing.

Date: March 17, 2020 02:46PM

I think my point is being lost. I don't recall going to a store and not being able to find TP. However, since the Corona crisis I've seen empty shelves. So unless there was a sudden unknown women's crisis, I'm still left without a satisfactory explanation as to the TP crisis. If people continue to act crazy then there will be a TP crisis.

Date: March 17, 2020 02:54PM

I'm joking. The TP crisis is indeed bizarre, sort of like buying tulips in the Netherlands in 1636.

If you don't know the reference, ask EOD. He was a wee lad back then but already a budding horticulturalist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2020 02:56PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: March 17, 2020 03:07PM

I'm sorry. Emails are difficult to interpret. I'm guilty of often missing the point or in this case, the joke.

Date: March 17, 2020 04:46PM

No worries at all, Birdman!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 02:55PM

The people buying TP heard "corona" virus. They think its from Mexico. Trips to Mexico often result in diarrhea (I used to travel there often for work). So a virus from Mexico will require a lot of TP in their limited perception.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 03:29AM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The people buying TP heard "corona" virus. They
> think its from Mexico. Trips to Mexico often
> result in diarrhea (I used to travel there often
> for work). So a virus from Mexico will require a
> lot of TP in their limited perception.

That doesn't explain why TP is being panic bought in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, UK etc..none of us are in the habit of nipping down to Mexico.

Date: March 18, 2020 07:54PM

I think Roy was joking about the word "corona."

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 03:07PM

In a crisis like the one we are going through now, toilet paper--in quantity--can potentially have more practical uses, and is more immediately disposable, than Kleenex (assuming that a given person has a choice between the two)....and, in addition, toilet paper is much easier on [means: less likely to clog] the plumbing infrastructure which begins with a house toilet which then connects to the community sewer system.

Kleenex is great for wiping noses and moping up sweat, but in a crisis situation (which includes someone going through the death process; I have been a primary caregiver twice), toilet paper is often a better suited, practical choice.

Not to mention that, in quantity, it is far less costly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2020 03:07PM by Tevai.

Date: March 17, 2020 03:24PM

I again take issue or should I say "take tissue". Water systems and that includes sewers are not designed to handle large volumes of solid waste like paper of any kind. That's why god created landfills. If you are using toilet paper to wipe noses a garbage can is still a better choice. I speak from experience. I had a septic tank. Paper does not degrade like fecal material.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 03:26PM

Here is a link to one story as to the why. It kinda makes a little sense to me.

https://time.com/5803273/hoarding-toilet-paper/

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 01:51AM

Good article. Thanks girl :)

Date: March 17, 2020 04:19PM

TP will be accepted as currency i am pretty sure at this rate or at least a high value barter item plus if you are an isolationist like myself TP is absolutely necessary in these isolationist self-quarintining times. Who would of known being an isolationist would save oneself from a virus?

Date: March 17, 2020 04:24PM

Kind of wish i knew how to plant my own vegetable garden successfully in vase of a food shortage at the stores.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 04:29PM

They buy it for the fiber.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 04:51PM

If I have to blow, I need paper towels.
uhum, that would be for both ends.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 05:06PM

They are trying to conserve the used corncobs

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 05:12PM

Toilet paper makes better sense to me than stocking up on guns and ammo as some are reported doing. Far less lethal.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 06:01PM

probably buy 50 rolls. The wife was waiting for the case lot sale as they were low on their 6 month supply. I don't know if she has found any yet. I don't have any extra. I usually buy more when I get my SS, which was last Wednesday. My boyfriend gave me some of his. I can get it from my son's work, too.

But around here, the families with so many kids need more TP than you or I do.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 06:04PM

from the blood and sins of this generation...

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 06:05PM

It's unlikely, but to even things out, if there is ever a diarrhea pandemic, people will by buying up hats like crazy and within days nobody will be able to find a hat.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 08:27PM

Textbook example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. People hoarding TP in case there's a shortage create the shortage they fear.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 09:40PM

Berra, that is: "It's déjà vu all over again."

Way back in the early 70's I was working in the grocery business, and the TP/paper towels section was mine to order and stock.

Some yayhoo on one of the television programs started the rumor there was going to be a shortage, and we had the "self-fulfilling prophecy" mentioned above.

I think it lasted a couple of months.

And seriously, I just left Walmart (where a lot of items weren't available like most frozen dinners), and somebody actually had a large package of TP in their cart. I don't have any idea how they got it...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 02:40AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:27AM

I have enough bibles to take care of any toilet paper shortage.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 12:39PM

I think the stores themselves ought to limit how much a customer can buy at one time. They could do more to help.

Date: March 18, 2020 01:24PM

"It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until it has all the toilet paper."

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 09:05PM

"Come with me if you want to wipe."

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 01:59PM

Here in Phoenix, it's flying off the shelves. Most grocery stores are out, and when they get some it's gone quickly.
I usually get a 36-pack at Costco, but this caught us about 2/3 of the way through one. Still, I have sufficient for my needs (to coin a phrase). And If this goes on a while, there's always the Arizona Republic.

Here's a youtube link that may have some relevance to this situation; or at least may be good for a laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsrpWPwnV5U

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 02:08PM

Backseater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here in Phoenix, it's flying off the shelves. Most
> grocery stores are out, and when they get some
> it's gone quickly.
> I usually get a 36-pack at Costco, but this caught
> us about 2/3 of the way through one. Still, I have
> sufficient for my needs (to coin a phrase). And If
> this goes on a while, there's always the Arizona
> Republic.
>
> Here's a youtube link that may have some relevance
> to this situation; or at least may be good for a
> laugh:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsrpWPwnV5U
The same at two Walmarts here in Tucson

Posted by: TonyS ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 02:30PM

Here’s the answer.

Everyone knows that the eventual result of the virus is that we are all going to have to stay home, so you would naturally stock up on some products, like toilet paper, so you don’t have to go out later and buy it.

Toilet paper is a large, bulky product that takes up lots of shelf space. It doesn’t take too many people buying it to empty the shelves, giving the ILLUSION that there is a run on toilet paper.

This ILLUSION tricks people into thinking that there is a shortage, fear sets in, and people start to buy more of it trying to beat the shortage.

This starts a downward cycle of panic buying.

Now, add to this hoarding, and those trying to purchase the entire stock to price gouge others on eBay and Amazon, and we get to where we are at today.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 07:52PM

It's a sign that the end is near.

Date: March 18, 2020 11:14PM

I'm glad that I bought that huge bale of toilet paper from costco.
Lasts me over a year.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.