Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 09:23AM

Just what SLC needed to help us feel safe in our self distancing—a short, but happy earthquake. I thought I was back in LA in 1971. The Shaken Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 09:36AM

Yes I just felt it too! Up in North Ogden area. It was short but strong!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 09:38AM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:12AM

You're alive! Hopefully well.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 01:14PM

I’m alive & well, thanks. I’m in SLC area visiting family. Wasn’t expecting to be home schooling my grandkids - started today. Crazy times.
The earthquake made me feel right at home.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 09:45AM

First, GC is cancelled due to COVID 19. Now an Earthquake in the epicenter of Mormonville. I think Heavenly Father is pissed at the Q15.

Posted by: TheLastDays ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 09:46AM

How do you guys deal with the guilt and fear you've made the wrong decision? I feel like if I still believed full-heartedly in the church, I'd be celebrating the signs of the times, but...how am I supposed to deal with the signs of the second coming if I feel like I might be one of the wicked being called to repentance?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 09:50AM

I can't worship that petty a god. I'm ok with that.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 10:15AM

The simple reality is that sh!t's been happening since time immemorial, be it natural disasters, plagues, wars, you name it. They weren't signs of great portent then, nor are they signs of anything now. They are what we make of them, and hopefully we can make them lessons to learn from as to how we and our descendants respond to future sh!t.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:17AM

I have absolutely no guilt or fear whatsoever. My TBM 90 year old parents believe this event is the Mormon version of the last days they have been waiting for. All I can do is bare my fervent testimony to you that there is no God, Joseph's Myth was a pedophile and con man, the Q15 are a bunch of spineless lil' shits that have continued the con. Think about it...much evidence of evolution, no evidence of the BOM. You think God commanded JS to marry other women already married, marry 14-year olds, etc. Just keep thinking about the overwhelming evidence against the church. COVID 19 is no apocalyptic event..it will be contained and life will go back to normal.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 10:03AM

Just felt another, but smaller.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 10:12AM

It shook our whole house. Our son called and said he was stopped at a light when it started and said it felt like he was on the ocean.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 10:22AM

I’m in a high rise. That was exciting. :-/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 10:39AM

From the Trib ... "A M. 5.7 earthquake hit the Wasatch Front shortly after 7 a.m., shaking homes from at least Logan and going all the way through Salt Lake County. It was the largest earthquake felt in Utah since 1992, though at least so far there’s no reports of major damage.

The epicenter of the earthquake was northeast of Magna, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Seven aftershocks hit shortly after that, with the strongest being a M. 3.9.

Some people are reporting power outages on the west side near the Salt Lake City International Airport and damage within their homes, as pictures fell off walls and dishes out of cupboards."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:30AM

(Seriously now)
Does the SL airport have regularly scheduled INTERNATIONAL flights, or is their use of word 'International' only MORMON-style PR BS?

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:56AM

They have scheduled flights to Canada, Mexico for sure. These are "international." I believe Delta has scheduled flights to Paris and to London out of SLC as well.

So, YES, it is an international airport.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 12:41PM

I don't think the term 'International' is used in any IATA codes, that's the industry standard as far as airport designations / identification.

So it's more HYPE than anything else, we know the Morbots are well-versed in HYPE, don't we?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 02:33PM

Flights to Mexico, Canada and Amsterdam direct and other cities with intermediate stop. Sounds international to me

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 10:48AM

my son has had both his morning flight out and his rescheduled flight this afternoon cancelled due to the earthquake. May have some damage at the airport or something.

I was totally freaked out by the rolling and rumbling. It took my brain a moment to grasp what was happening. Never felt anything like that before!

Date: March 18, 2020 10:55AM

I've experienced a lot of earthquakes living in the SF bay area. I've experienced them in Japan, and most recently in Vegas in a high rise with a pool on the top floor (that one was quite strong and scared me to death because of the pool). But this one was really something in the way it threw stuff around. I've done more picking up and putting away with this one than any others I've ever experienced. Even though it wasn't that strong, we were right on top of it and that's what made it so violent.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 12:24PM

Was it a roller or a shaker?

Date: March 18, 2020 12:54PM

It was a jolting earthquake. Apparently its epicenter was in Magna, not far from the airport. And it was a slip strike type earthquake so big, jolting action followed by lots of rolling and shaking.

They also said that it was shallow, only 6 or 7 miles deep. That contributed to the violence.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 09:42PM

and the aftershocks continue! a strong one a few minutes ago at 4.1

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 10:57AM

gemini, there is water at the airport. They think that some pipes broke. After that, I haven't been paying attention as I'm working.

Quite a day or month.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:37AM

Airport is closed. FAA tower shut down. All flights diverted. Not allowing pilots or flight attendants to enter the airport.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:30AM

Here's a web site on the latest earthquakes.

https://earthquaketrack.com/p/united-states/recent'

The Utah one was near Magna Utah, 5.7 with 8-10 aftershocks over the last hour.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:43AM

That's a good-sized earthquake.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:47AM

Actually, it was centered at the Southeast corner of the Great Salt Lake, close to the airport. Magna has the closest sensor.

Date: March 18, 2020 11:48AM

I’m still waiting for the Mormon leaders to tell
Utahns to STOP HOARDING FOOD and to reassure the faithful that times will be better. But, those wankers are probably like Kim Jung—holed up in their bunkers.

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 11:59AM

Hey, BYU Boner. The Slymar Quake in '71 was my first one too. We were just getting up for seminary when it struck.

Today, I'd been home in Clearfield for about an hour after picking up my grandson from work. The first shock felt like a bang (hard shake) followed by 15-20 seconds of rolling.There have been numerous aftershocks, up to twenty above magnitude 3 in the first hour.

On the local news, they've shown bricks that fell from a couple of older buildings in Magna and in downtown SLC. There was some video of water leaking from a ceiling at the airport (fire suppression pipes). Also, there was a shot of Moroni without his trumpet atop the temple.

At the cuzx house, we're all doing fine. I checked the furnace room and other rooms right away. My grandsons were a little shaken up, for sure.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 12:26PM

Rollers and shakers are very different. PLEASE CHECK YOUR GAS AND OTHER UTILITY LINES. It is also a good idea to walk your property and check your foundation.

Then wash your hands!

Date: March 18, 2020 12:49PM

Yep, I was in high school. School closed and the tragedy of the VA hospital. This was before I joined the Morg.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 12:30PM

There goes the toilet paper !

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 12:53PM

LOL!

Date: March 18, 2020 12:39PM

A lot of residences are without power. FrontRunner (UTA Commuter rail) and TRAX (UTA light rail) have suspended service. At present, the SLC airport has suspended operations as well. There is a hazardous materials event (no evacuations) at a Kennecott warehouse.

Nothing else to report just now. We're sheltering in place with no place to go today.

Date: March 18, 2020 01:11PM

The commuter rail is up, running a bit slower, but light rail service is down due to electrical problems. On Channel 13 news, a UTA official reported that TRAX may be operational within 3-4 hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2020 01:12PM by cuzx.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 03:12PM

I have not been able to sleep for many days, due to anxiety and PTSD (the feeling of not being "safe", and that I'm going to die). I was able to calm down and get into bed at 5:00 am this morning, and at 7:00 am, the earthqake hit. It shook one grandchild off the couch, and all the kids were running around, in excutment, and a mild sense of fearful adventure mixed in with it.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area, too, and earthquakes were a way of life. They seemed to come in groups, and were as big or bigger than this one. Our town didn't panic, didn't disasterize about the future, never rushed to the grocery store to hoard supplies. They would shrug it off, and school would continue as usual. We didn't even have earthquake drills, but would just ride them out at our school desks, and someone would say, "Wow, that was a big one." We knew that the first jolt was always the biggest.

The Mormon presidency never sent any messages of faith or hope to us Bay Area Mormons. I have no sympathy for Mormoni's trumpet.

Calm down, people! Everyone has been doing very well with our other disasters, so far, so keep up the good work. People are more resilient than we think--especially children. We will bounce back. >^..^<

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 03:14PM

Oh no, there was another earthquake just now, 1:12, and it was long and strong! I would say a 5 or 4.9!

Breathe...where's a paper bag to breathe into?

>^00^<

Date: March 18, 2020 03:18PM

Yep, another ...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 03:20PM

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 03:23PM

Living in boring, stable northern Europe, I've never experienced an earthquake, even though I go to Lima, Peru, every year. I think I should probably count myself as lucky, but I'd like to feel a gentle one at some time in my life. The only problem is that you can't choose whether it's a strong one or a weak one...

Posted by: AJM ( )
Date: March 18, 2020 05:03PM

Is it true that Moroni on The S.L. temple isn't horny anymore!?

Posted by: obsidian53 ( )
Date: March 19, 2020 08:32PM

I remember the San Fernando Valley quake of '71 too.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 20, 2020 09:13PM

was standing at the checkout register at Costco in San Jose when the Loma Prieta earthquake hit! It was't fun

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 07:21PM

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but had this been an EQ on the main parts of the Wasatch instead of a smaller fault, there would have been massive destruction. Hopefully, this is a wake up call to people living or working in one of the thousands of old brick bldgs in SLC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.