Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 01:36AM

rather than how many people are sick and poo-pooed those who are anxious. Lewis County just had their second diagnosis. The patient is in their 20s.

And people who have recovered? No one from WA has, and we were ground zero in the US.

Washington, US
Confirmed: 1,524
Deaths: 83
Recovered: 0
Active: 1,441

This is serious business. Act accordingly.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 01:49AM

Some appear to be recovering.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-two-elderly-patients-tested-183138482.html

That does not, however, detract from your point. It's important to remember that almost a third of recovered patients suffer lont-term or permanent lung damage.

Date: March 21, 2020 01:53AM

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 08:17AM

One of my colleagues at work in his 60's said "I want to get it. I want to catch the virus, get sick, and get over it. So there's a three percent chance I'll die. I am in good health. I'll take my chances".

I wouldn't make that choice myself,even though I am in good health. That choice wouldn't do much for my elderly father or other vulnerable people around me. At the same time, this person's attitude does express his level of frustration and what he would be willing to do to make this whole pandemic go away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 08:19AM by azsteve.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 08:51AM

For someone in their sixties, closer to a ten percent chance of serious complication or death. If the hospitals are overwhelmed, that's also the group that won't get the ventilators, and serious complications convert to death.

That's slightly better than Russian Roulette odds. Not a bet most people would willingly take.

For younger people, the odds may at some point look acceptable to them. Or they may simply not believe the odds.

Me, I'm hoping they find a treatment that puts the odds in the "bad flu" category. I'd be willing to go back to a normal life and take that risk, even though that risk climbs pretty steeply for older people too. All risks climb for older people.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 09:28AM

If I wasn't in fear for the life of my 87 year old father right now who is currently in good health, I might agree with you. One thing that makes the free world good is that we take care of our elderly and disabled. Just look at what we are doing right now to protect mostly them. At 57 years old right now and in good health myself, my choice for my life alone would be to let the virus catch up to me and fight it head-on, win or lose.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 12:31PM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rather than how many people are sick and poo-pooed
> those who are anxious. Lewis County just had their
> second diagnosis. The patient is in their 20s.
>
> And people who have recovered? No one from WA has,
> and we were ground zero in the US.
>
> Washington, US
> Confirmed: 1,524
> Deaths: 83
> Recovered: 0
> Active: 1,441
>
> This is serious business. Act accordingly.
>
> https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboa
> rd/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The link someone found and post here earlier seems to be the most up to date info on the virus situation.

Save the link and check it out occasionally.

https://ncov2019.live/data

Date: March 21, 2020 02:07PM

I have about three dozen ducks eggs if you should ever care for some with more on the way. (The "off" button on the ducks is broken.)

I'll toss them at you, you can catch them with a spoon, and later we can team up for a three-legged race at a six-foot distance.

Date: March 21, 2020 04:43PM

Don't forget the rather slight person in the hazmat suit down by the river.

Date: March 21, 2020 05:13PM

One summer night in 2018 or maybe '19, the police showed up at my house asking for permission to enter my property to search for Some Dude Who Jumped in The Skookumchuck River (SDWJITSR).

Me: Have at it. May my dog come?

Popo: Sure

Me: Cool

So...

SDWJITSR had tried to hold up the AM/PM Minimart up the road, not to be confused with The God Will Decide Mini Mart, wielding a pocket knife.

AM/PM Folks: Seriously?! Get the fuck out. We've called the cops.

SDWJITSR ran down the road and decided to try to car jack someone at the Motel 6, and the driver pulled a gun on him.

Foiled again, SDWJITSR ran to a nearby park that borders the Skookumchuk River. The Popo showed up and asked the transients who occasionally live in the park being, you know, transient, if they saw some dude running through the park.

The upstanding and usually law-abiding transients (TUAULAT): He jumped in the river.

Popo: Thanks

TUAULAT: No problem. See you at my court date.

Popo: Bet

That's when the Popo showed up at my house. I was happy to know that SDWJITSR wasn't chilling in my space or under the bridge bothering TUAULAT.

Fin

http://www.chronline.com/crime/gun-wielding-motorist-foils-alleged-carjacking-attempt/article_d60a2576-9a6d-11e8-8da3-e352a34478f3.html

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 05:20PM by Beth.

Date: March 21, 2020 05:16PM

That's a good looking SDWJITSR. Did you get his number?

Date: March 21, 2020 01:45PM

The RATE of growth is the absolute worst number you want to be #1 in, If that one is high, all your numbers will eventually be the worst in the world.

Hopefully our rate is so high because we did such inadequate testing that we are just finding out who is infected. And isn't that a pathetic thing to have to hope for. :-/

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 01:45PM

Personally, I'm looking forward to a successful covid vaccine. Looking waaa a . a . . .ay into the future for that vaccine. I turn 70 this year. We got Hot Man's 90-y-o mom here; she came out ostensibly for a visit of a few weeks. It's been 4 weeks & we don't know when it'll be safe to send her home. Cabin Fever!

Date: March 21, 2020 02:07PM

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 02:32PM

Developed - in DECEMBER - by a high school Junior in Seattle: www.covid19.live

He'll soon be changing it to Germ Tracker .com [easier to remember, and useful in the future, where he'll be the first with the next & future virus tracker(s)].

Lists by country: contracted, deceased, recovered (by user recommendation), and serious, updated OFTEN.

Date: March 21, 2020 02:33PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 04:08PM

I don't like having to think of my granddaughters as adorable little vectors, on the hoof.

I am developing a deep, visceral hatred of this damned corona virus.

My retired DH and I have decided that it is very likely that if one of us gets it, the other will, too, although we have the means to "socially distance" within our fairly large house. We have gloves, masks, use bleach wipes on surfaces and doorknobs frequently, all the things you are supposed to do.

It seems like the best we can hope for is to stay at home and pamper our ailing selves as best we can and treat it like a very nasty cold-on-steroids.

If we can get through it without having to go to a hospital, that would be wonderful. But of course, there is already talk about having to decide who gets treatment and who doesn't.

If the powers that be decide you don't get treatment, is the only option just to quietly off yourself, so at least you go out knowingly, and not in a fevered blur?

I have never pondered this question before, and it is terrifying. There IS the possibility that we will recover (of course, I am in the "elderly, with underlying conditions" category, which is not favorable.) But the odds are not good.

Has anybody else allowed their thoughts to wander in this frightful direction? I would be grateful for your thoughts on this.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 04:37PM

Catnip and others, you are not alone.

Yes, all the time. I had to take a lorazepam, yesterday, I was so hysterical. I've been busy getting my financial affairs in order, but need another week to complete everything, banks and everyone is overrun with hysterical old people.

I don't know how to "off myself." If I knew, I would be prepared for that. I guess the virus might do it for me.

Oh God, I need to stay off the computer.

But then, in the US it's an 8% chance of death for people my age, and some say that there's a 40% chance of getting it. Still less than half, right?

I have talked to some people who have recovered, so I don't know where you get the gloomy statistics. Still, these recovered people will be in quarintine for a while, and they have that lingering cough. I know nothing of any permanent lung damage.

I think we need to put WARNING labels on our posts, on RFM, so to not spread the panic.

Let's post about other things. When I'm finished with my paper work and taxes, I might start a thread about "cute grandchildren". "Mormon grandchildren" to stay on the topic. "Funny Pet Stories" or "Gardening Tips" would be as on topic as "the Gloom-and-Doom Virus".

Ugh. I'm going to drink some chamomile tea and do yoga breathing and wash my hair.

Blogging right now = not good.

Love to all.

>^..^<

Date: March 21, 2020 04:51PM

forestpal, catnip, please don't get too worried. Call it 8% mortality and 50% chance of contagion: that means 4% likelihood of death, maybe 2-3 percentage points more than usual for septuagenarians? You guys are doing what you can and have supportive people in your lives. If you start to feel ill, act immediately and the odds will be a bit better than even that.

So within the confines of social distancing, I suggest just enjoying life. When risks are beyond our control, we should do what we can for mitigation and then relax as the future is in Kismet's hands.

I hear she smiles on those who are happy and well loved.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 04:42PM

How many recovered without permanent lung damage ?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 21, 2020 07:06PM

Dave, here's an interview with a respiratory therapist in a New Orleans hospital who explains why there can be lasting lung damage from Covid 19 --

Even if you survive ... it can also do long-lasting damage.
“But we are trying to wean down the settings on the ventilator as much as possible, because you don’t want someone to be on the ventilator longer than they need to be. Your risk of mortality increases every day that you spend on a ventilator. The high pressures from high vent settings is pushing air into the lung and can overinflate those little balloons [the alveoli.] They can pop. It can destroy the alveoli. Even if you survive ARDS [acute respiratory distress syndrome,] although some damage can heal, it can also do long-lasting damage to the lungs. They can get filled up with scar tissue. ARDS can lead to cognitive decline. Some people’s muscles waste away, and it takes them a long time to recover once they come off the ventilator."

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes--terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients

Date: March 21, 2020 08:11PM

My Russian grandmother used to joke that in Russia they referred to the flu as "the old person's friend" because it is a quick and painless way to go.

I remember it because it was kind of shocking to me as a kid to hear adults laughing about death. I understand better now.

I had a case of flu where I think I was in significant danger of not making it, and a friend of mine did indeed die about two weeks before my crisis. He was on chemo and had a depressed immune system. It was a nasty flu season that year. I don't recall any pain. I just felt so profoundly tired that getting up felt like being asked to climb Mt Everest. That apparently also happens with covid-19.

Having had people die from cancer or dementia, I think my Russian grandmother had a good point. Not wishing anyone an early demise, just sayin'.

Date: March 21, 2020 11:51PM

And there is only one thing we say to Death:

Not today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIXK-inss34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 11:55PM by Beth.

Date: March 22, 2020 07:53AM

I just read an article describing what the total pulmonary collapse is like. It didn't sound at all peaceful, though it did sound brief, especially without treatment, FWIW.

I guess "this is not the flu" is true in more ways than one.
Be careful out there.

Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 12:31AM

I know. Chamber of commerce has shut a ton of businesses down completely over here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.