Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 05:07PM

My daughter will be returning to the U.S. within a month. She will serve stateside for her last half.

I'm happy and heartbroken at the same time. I'm wondering if here is the best place. My other daughter is here and she is in a place with high Corona.

My feelings are all over the place. She is probably heartbroken to leave. We do get to talk to her more than once a week until she flies back.

There is talk of offering honorable discharges to missionaries closer to the end of their missions due to the huge influx that will be arriving here shorty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 05:22PM

Oh man. What a conundrum. I can understand your anxiety!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 05:25PM

Me, too.

I wish all of you both safety and health.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 05:26PM

Isn't it ChurchCo policy to pay their airfare home?

OMG, but hey, they prolly won't have to nick the $100 + Billion, so we can relax...

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 06:15PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't it ChurchCo policy to pay their airfare
> home?
>
> OMG, but hey, they prolly won't have to nick the
> $100 + Billion, so we can relax...

Isn't the cost to maintain a missionary in the field is about $2,000 -$3,000 per month?

I would think flying everyone home would save everyone some big money. Through in the explanation that it was for the missionaries safety and for the peace of mind of their families.

Win win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 06:16PM by tumwater.

Date: March 22, 2020 06:19PM

I don't see that ChurchCo pays anything to keep an individual missionary in the field, but it does pay for the MP & office expenses.

Parents, family, & friends pay most of the individual costs, don't they (?)

Date: March 24, 2020 12:46AM

As far as the 'junior' mish's go, I don't see churchCo loosing money on them (if they actually were as expensive as your reference). $400 seems cheap, I agree, but I don't see many parents paying the amounts listed.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 05:35PM

Why are they serving anywhere? They should be coming home, quarantine for 14 days and being with their families. @##$$$% cult!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 05:42PM

Nothing personal against your daughter, but she doesn't have the priesthood, so what good can she do as a missionary under the current conditions?

Convert numbers will be down, so the church should work on getting birth numbers up!!

So....

Date: March 23, 2020 03:07PM

Well, isn't that a rub on a TK Smoothie!

I guess I will await the Rusty revelation of only male missionaries allowed out in the fields already to harvest as they can heal the Corona. Magic penises unite!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 06:20PM

The border of Ghana is said to have been sealed. The non-native missionaries did not make it out.

...something about the revelation not being in time!

Blasphemy, or just a fact?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 04:20PM

It’s a King Lamoni situation.

Date: March 23, 2020 04:58PM

Arm-ees of Heleman.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 07:28PM

We Americans are in the annoying habit of thinking everything will somehow be better off in the states. "We are the best," they will say. Actually, a missionary might be better off by staying in First World countries that are run far better than neo-Second World America. If I had a son or daughter in Australia, New Zealand, anywhere in Scandinavia, and most places in Europe, I'd want them to stay put. It's obvious that we Americans are not going to be looking pretty after all this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 07:29PM by cludgie.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 07:37PM

+1

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: March 24, 2020 07:07AM

since you mention that, I can report that Australia does feel a little bit less catastrophic than the US or Europe, but we are only a week or so behind you. Border closures, social isolation measures are in place, but we have not yet flattened the curve, especially in the more populated states. NZ looks like they might get the job done reasonably quickly, but they have natural island advantages.

One thing I am pleased about here is our universal health care. Everybody here can get tested (subject to a level of severity of risk) and treated for free, including high quality intensive care, in good hospitals. I fear for poorer people in the US who can't afford basic care, and who will have been reluctant to present with symptoms.

best wishes to all

Date: March 24, 2020 11:21AM

Interesting post. I wonder what it would be like to not live in a society where poor health choices are pushed and health care is a preminum commodity. It seems like a dystopia at times.

Health care as a basic service to citizenry sounds so humane.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 07:34PM

It seems she went South, but you never told us exactly where. Like in South America or Mexico. This is just one more layer of fear for you. My daughter is in Alaska (of course, not on a mission), but there are very few cases where she is at thankfully. They sent all the seasonal workers home except an older couple who are from CA. They decided it was best for them to stay in AK and are paying them their salary.

Posted by: TX_Rancher ( )
Date: March 22, 2020 07:40PM

Elder Berry, you clearly love your daughter and have an interest and concern for her happiness. Bless you.

(I lost the priesthood,voluntarily through my resignation and the fact it was a fantasy to begin with...but I digress)

I have no authorized means to actually do it--see above--I only mean to say that you are a great father and person. I hope she adjusts well and I am certain she will continue to be comforted by you as a wonderful father.

Date: March 23, 2020 03:09PM

Thank you for your thoughtful post and wishes.

We think we will be quarantined with her for two weeks which will be great. Who gets to spend a vacation from a mission with their parents (who really love them) halfway through their mission?

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: March 23, 2020 05:02PM

IMO, ANY release from an LDS mission would be honorable.

Date: March 23, 2020 05:49PM

Amen. And amen.

Date: March 23, 2020 09:04PM

This thinking really pisses me off. I'm sure after all this my daughter will have a story to tell but now she's worried. I just talked to her. But "enjoy the ride?"
"Shelli said it’s normal to feel anxiety but she compares this riding an rollercoaster—instead of put your arms and feet in, Shelli said keep your knees bent and your arms folded, have faith and enjoy the ride."

No. Screw you Shelli and your delusional thinking.

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/utah-family-says-missionary-in-philippines-may-not-make-it-out-before-country-goes-on-lockdown-from-covid-19-outbreak

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.